Author Topic: Gunmaker's Vise  (Read 9539 times)

Okefinokee Outlaw

Gunmaker's Vise
« on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
Can you folks recommend a good vise for gunstock work?  Thanks much.

LehighBrad

Re: Gunmaker's Vise
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
Gun stocker's vise. Woodcraft. Mine was around $180 if memory serves. I LOVE it. Very adjustable. Just the ticket.

URL=http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/LehighBrad/media/001.jpg.html][/URL]

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
I don't think there is any ONE vise that will do it all -- you will probably need maybe two. A sturdy machinist vise and a good multi-angle swivel vise for light stock work and carving -- I have 4  - a 6" machinist vise, a wood working vise and two multi-angle medium duty vises. I have used a sturdy machinist vise for many years with good results. Good luck.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
Hi Outlaw,
The "pattern maker's" vise shown by Lehigh Brad is very good.  That vise along with an arm-shaped benchrest is a fine setup for the woodworking.  A machinists vise can serve for metal work.  One problem with the pattern maker's vise is that it sits high on top of the bench, too high for me to work comfortably.  If you don't have a fairly low benchtop, I suggest installing the vise down flat on the benchtop (or wooden arm) without using the riser base.  Those vises used to cost about $95 from some suppliers. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

TinStar

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:58:27 AM »
I got mine on closeout somewhere. It's a Wheeler and mine is black. I love it as I am tall and the height is just right on my bench.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

JoeG

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 02:12:41 AM »
If you can find one the old Versa Vise is hard to beat
its served me well for over 30 years

Okefinokee Outlaw

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 02:41:24 AM »
Thanks folks.  This was very helpful.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:41:01 AM »
I use a regular wood workers vise. I added wooden jaws that extend higher than the bench top. I padded them with burlap tacked on. I made two arms that I attached on either side of the vise. I slotted them and bolted them through the slots with lag bolts to the bench top. I can adjust them and swivel them as needed. I padded the arms as well. The vise is a quick release type of very high quality I got used. This works well for me.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

pushboater

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 04:53:33 AM »
Jon-Mar Gear & Machine of Canal Fulton, Ohio is currently producing the Versa-Vise. The blueprints were purchased by the president of Jon-Mar gear & Machine from the Will-Burt Co. Of Orville, Ohio. They were the original manufactures.  The president of Jon-Mar was an employee of the Will-Burt Co. For over 18 years. They sell for $49.95 on eBay.

Capt. David

DFHicks

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 05:15:09 AM »
I bought this vise in the mid-70's when it was still being made in Germany.  It was sold as a chair maker's vise and cost me $135.00.  In today's dollar value that would be roughly $800.00.  I was single then and could afford some discretionary spending on important things.  A gun buddy asked me to put it in my will that he would inherit it.  He was married and had two kids.  I still have the vise and wouldn't part with it.  It can be improved as an engraving vise by putting a threaded hole and a thumb screw in the plate that tightens it onto the bench.  This keeps the plate from tightening when you spin it around while engraving.  As noted in this forum before it helps to have the vise mounted on a corner of the work bench.
Regards,
DF

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 05:30:39 AM »
DF Hicks,

Would help if  you posted a photo of your vise.  Drolling doesn't start until the eyes are engaged.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 05:56:40 AM »
Nice vice. I've had mine for about 7-8 years, and it's probably the most used vice I own, and I have 5. First day I had it I took off the wood pads and traced the outline onto some scraps of 4/4 maple and cherry. I had some scraps of heavy leather given to me by a friend who was in the police holster business. Thick and tough. I glued the leather to the blocks and trimmed it flush with a utility knife. Leather on the faces is definitely worth the trouble.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline rick landes

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
My bench is L shaped. I mounted a pattern maker vise in the corner and a second to the right leg of the L. I can grip both butt and muzzle areas when needed. I have contemplated drilling a few extra holes to bring the vise closer if need arose. To the left side of the L I have a 4" machinist vise that can be used in conjunction with the vise on the drill press at that end of the bench.
I like a thick belt leather crazy glued to the pads to protect the work piece too!
I also use a 8x8x3 block of black walnut as a support if I need to support a muzzle or the like w/o the use of the second PM vise.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

billm

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:41 AM »
I bought a new versa vise 2 years ago from ebay..Really didnt like it,maybe the old ones were better but I will tell you what I found.1 will not really lock into position,will spin on you.2 I bent the tightening handle and had to straighten it by beating it with a hammer3handle ends on with snap rings,which came out.so handle fell out alot..

went back on ebay and bought an old wilton....really nice..
then bought a used litco which is really nice..  jmo
ebay is really good place to look for old american made vises..

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
Posting this modification photo of the vise showing spring and thumb screw which permits rotation of vise without loosening the base.  Photo is from DFHicks regarding his German copy of the Pattern Makers Vise shown earlier in the thread.

tbarnes66

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 12:33:14 AM »
I bought this and like it. It's an improved parrot vise.

http://www.garrettwade.com/garrett-wades-ultimate-versatile-vise/p/05R10.10/

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 01:03:34 AM »
Thanks to the advice of Dan Phariss a couple of years ago, this is my go to vise.  A Wilson 301 PowerArm with a 4" modified vise mounted to it.  I have both the parrot style and the patternmakers vises in my shop.  Since I got the PowerArm the parrot and the patternmakers vises are now guest vises. ;D ;D ;D
David Rase

DFHicks

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 02:21:38 AM »
Thanks to Jerry Lape for posting this picture for me.  I never figured out how to do it.  This is the German made vise I bought in 1976 at a cost equivalent today of nearly $600.00.  It really is a great wood working vise but obviously can't be your only vise.  The Rube Goldberg modification I made allows the vise to spin around without tightening itself.  This is only useful for working on practice plates while trying to learn engraving.  The image on the practice plate is centered as much as possible over the pivot post and more or less stays in the same place when you turn the work.
An engraving vise must be able to tilt as do the ones pictured here on the forum a number of times.  The bowling ball set up sounds intriguing but one step at a time.

Regards,
DF