Author Topic: Nicholas Shenefelt records  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Nicholas Shenefelt records
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
In researching Nicholas Shenefelt, I came across the court records of several Rev War soldiers from
Centre County, PA, Nicholas included.  It makes for interesting reading.  Here is the link
http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/hrip/revwar/default.asp#Shenefelt_Nicholas

I believe Shenefelt to have been the smith that trained William Shreckengost.  Their families lived at the
same time near each other in Augusta Township, Northumberland County and then later in Western PA within
a few miles of each other.  Recently I discovered a rifle with a barrel signed Shenefelt which has all the
attributes of William Shreckengost's work except the patchbox and barrel.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:51:08 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

Re: Nicholas Shenefelt Rev War records
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:50:25 AM »
I found this in the History of CLarion County by A J Davis in the Porter Township section while researching the Shreckengost rifle I have that is signed John McCann.  There was a prominent John McCann living in the same town as Shenefelt in 1824 and his daughter was married in that town in 1848 which is close to when the gun was made.  This area is about 10 miles from the Shreckengost rifle shop.

"Nicholas Shanafelt, a gunsmith, moved his family from Huntington county to Leatherwood, near Brinkerton, in 1835. Some of his sons became prominent Baptist ministers. His son William, living at present near where they first settled, cleared the place, improved the land, and has taken a live interest in importing and raising short horned cattle. Some of them are bred directly from cattle brought from England. His herd at present is one of the finest in the county. He has also been an active worker in the Leatherwood Baptist Church ever since it was organized."
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:45:06 AM by Shreckmeister »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Nicholas Shenefelt records
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:49:08 PM »
Rob,
Good read.
Buck

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Nicholas Shenefelt records
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 03:25:57 AM »
Nice Obelisk.