Author Topic: Jud Brennan's David Crockett Rifle  (Read 10202 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Jud Brennan's David Crockett Rifle
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:42:11 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

nosrettap1958

Re: Jud Brennan's David Crockett Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:09:35 PM »
That rifle with its thin, well executed lines really caught my eye.  Joel, what caliber is it, did it say?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »
Looks like a Abraham Welshantz of York County with its long slender wrist, I always thought that Davey Crockett carried a York County rifle.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:54:20 AM by crawdad »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
Hi Crawdad, I do not know what the caliber is. And as you say. Crockett's known first rifle was a York area piece. I would definately call this interpretation by Judd a fantasy rifle. Only because it portrays this famous ownership.
Joel Hall

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »
That is a fantastic rifle.  When I look at that rifle I can easily see it being carried by someone like Crockett  - a second generation of an early trans-Appalachian pioneer family now moving on from Tennessee or Kentucky to Texas.

It is based on the style of Thomas Simpson and a related group of gunmakers working in middle Tennessee in the region around White and Putnam Counties in the late 18th and early 19th century.  The most well known piece from this group is the "G Mansker" rifle from the early 1790s; Jud has built one bench copy of that rifle and at least one other near copy that he had at the CLA show last year.  For his interpretation of a possible Crockett rifle he took the style forward about 20-30  years and made something that might have come out of this group in 1815-30 era.

The work of that particular group of gunsmiths is remarkable.  Their output apparently included both brass and iron mounted guns.  Jacob Young fits seems to fit into this group as well - how, when, where exactly is still the subject of much discussion  - but it seems like more examples of this group are turning up and being recognized for what they are every year. Their work has also influenced some of the most remarkable contemporary gunsmiths in the past 40 years -  this example demonstrating that nicely- and is always stunning to see as it has been shown so seldom in publication.

Guy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:58:59 AM by G-Man »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 04:52:06 PM »
Guy, is that close to the rifle that Crockett carried? With all of the in-lays and elaborate patch box I thought it was a Pennsylvania built rifle.  But it definitely shows signs of a Trans Appalachian or a Tennessee with the shape of its butt plate and its other lines.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:55:03 PM by crawdad »

Offline art riser

Re: Jud Brennan's David Crockett Rifle by Robert Weil
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
"Make a rifle that David Crockett would take to Texas"

Somewhere sometime I heard a story that when Crockett wanted to explore "The
Texas" he needed to sell some personal items ( one being his watch) to fund the trip. He also needed
a flintlock gun as he was using percussion almost exclusively.  Percussion caps
were scarce in 1836, and almost non existent in Texas. So, living in Tennesse
he would have possible choices of Tennessee or maybe North Carolina arms.

Jud Brennan's "David Crockett" rifle is for me a great improvisation.
He has perfectly combined a romantic fantasy with a historical overtone.
The style and flavor of the gun are correct for the period. By adding the signature
and partial motto, he has also introduced a literary  commentary. This approach
is quite rare in Contemporary work. Most makers are connected to form exclusive
of story. That is not to say that every new gun need to have been the result of
a fantasy or historical notion. What is interesting is that this one conjures up
more to the viewer than just it's form.

*Crockett did own a York Pa. rifle in his younger days, it was sold off to cover debts. 
*The Brennan rifle has a Getz Barrel 45" 45 Caliber.
*The antique Goucher lock was found on ebay, John Ennis added a fly to it for double set trigger use.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 03:35:08 PM »
That’s a 45 caliber with a Don Getz barrel!! I’ll take two please!!!
The 45 is probably the most useful caliber in a rifle as you can use it for all sorts of big and small game.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:52:56 PM by crawdad »

Offline RAT

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »
It looks like a description was added to the contemporary makers blog regarding the original. It states it was made by a Kentucky gunsmith (James M. Graham) and presented to Crockett while he was serving in congress. I seem to remember from his autobiography that the gun presented to him and named "Old Betsy" was made in Philadelphia.
Bob

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 05:41:01 PM »
I think we are talking about several different original rifles here all with an association with Crockett.  

Jud's piece is not supposed to be a copy of any of these pieces.  Iit is an interpretive piece - a concept gun - made in the style of work being done by a very specific group of gunmsiths - which includes Thomas Simpson - working in middle Tennessee in the last years of the 18th century at least into the 1830s.  So  - contemporaries of Crockett's time and place before he went to Texas.   A piece he could have plausibly had made or been presented with.  He was a popular guy and like Boone surely owned, lost, sold, traded, gave away - whatever - many guns in his life.  

In the famous Chapman portrait he is holding what appears to be a fairly simple iron mounted rifle with a spearpoint tang  - whether that was his gun or just a Washington DC studio prop procured at random for the painting (like the dogs that are also shown in the painting) we will likely never know.  But given where he was born, lived, moved etc. there certainly seems likelihood he owned one or more guns by Tennessee makers in his life and of these the Simpson/Mid-TN group of gunmakers is just as likely as any.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/liveblog/files/2013/02/Davy-Crockett1358814911_image_1024w.jpg

Guy
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:42:03 PM by G-Man »

Offline art riser

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 06:25:27 PM »
Well said Guy.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 06:10:19 AM »
I have long had a great appreciation for Jud Brennan's work, but that rifle just knocked my socks off.....  Wow.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »
Took me awhile to comment....I was puttin my socks back on :o
I appreciate that the engraving was done like "back then", not contemporary 21st century style!
Hoooorah!
Tom C.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
I can definitely see the Middle Tennessee heritage in that rifle’s lines but what of all the ‘Bling’ noted and inlayed. Would that be in-line with a rifle built in Tennessee?  :)   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:54:53 PM by crawdad »

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 11:12:22 PM »
Crawdad - this group of gunsmiths from middle Tennessee - Thomas Simpson, Jacob Young, etc. worked well over to the west of the mountains and is generally very different from the upper east Tennessee/mountain area group of gunmakers - which is what most people think of with regard to the term "Tennessee Rifles"  Most usually think of the plainer, iron mounted unembellished guns from that area when they think of Tennessee.  But Tennessee, like other areas, had a wide range of regional styles and even individual gunsmith's work varied from plain to fancy depending on the customer's needs. 

Do a search for "Jacob Young" in the archives here - his guns are a frequent recurring topic on this board - and look at the photos that people have posted - his metal inlay work is second to none of his contemporaries.  But he also made plain iron mounted guns with no decoration.  And this is true of many other gunsmiths, particularly in the south.  When you pick up one of his rifles they just exude quality in design and execution of the work - mechanically, architecturally, and artistically.  Same is true of the work of Simpson, and others.

http://kentuckylongrifles.com/html/jacob_young.html

The work of gunmakers like Thomas Simpson, Jacob Young, John Small (Vincennes IN) and the Bryans (Lexington KY) demontrates the existence of many great "schools" of gunmaking already established by the latter years of the 18th century well into the trans-Appalachian region and was for many years  a long overlooked area with regard to longrifle study.  A lot of us are pretty excited about it though as new stuff is turning up all the time it seems now, and research and new books (Like Tanselman/Shelby Gallien's new book on Kentucky gunsmiths) are helping fuel the interest. 

Guy

nosrettap1958

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 03:38:12 PM »
Did you guys see that picture of him holding that rifle up? You can really tell how sleek that rifle is by looking at that picture.