Author Topic: best small caliber?  (Read 13877 times)

IRONSIGHT

best small caliber?
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:42:30 AM »
        I would like to build a squirrel rifle but can't make up my mind on a caliber. .32, .36, or.40. cal.
I thought I had settled on a .32 cal., but someone told me that I would spend more time swabbing the barrel then I'd be shooting. Any input?

IRONSIGHT

Candle Snuffer

Re: best small caliber?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:31:26 AM »
I don't own and never have owned a .32 or .36, but I can speak kindly of the .40 calibers I own.  With proper charge, patch & ball combo, I seldom ever swab my .40's or anyother muzzle loader I have (in larger calibers) unless I have to by the rules of the club I'm shooting at.

With this said, yes,,, I have seen folks with .32's spending a lot of time with the patch and jag, but I'm mostly of the opinion they do not and are not using a properly worked up load, which can take some time to find in any rifle in all fairness.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:33:49 AM by Candle Snuffer »

close enough

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:37:36 AM »
First check your state laws.  In the past several people have commented that the .40 was not legal for large game or small game in their state:  Basically rendering in useless for hunting. 
I really like my .36 cal rifle for small game, but have heard good thing about the .32 also.  The .36 is more than enough for squirrel.
Brian

doug

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:17:10 AM »
     Personally I would lean towards a .36 or a bit bigger but only because I find cleaning a .32 to be a nuisance with such a small hole.   

cheers Doug

billd

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:09:33 AM »
I have only a .32. I do not find it harder to clean than any other caliber.  It's a lot harder to pick up the balls to load when you have cold fingers than larger calibers.

I usually carry about twice the number of balls I think I'm going to need in the winter.  Half of them end up in the snow. If only they would sprout roots and grow into a ball tree.   ;D

Bill

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:27:53 AM »
        I would like to build a squirrel rifle but can't make up my mind on a caliber. .32, .36, or.40. cal.
I thought I had settled on a .32 cal., but someone told me that I would spend more time swabbing the barrel then I'd be shooting. Any input?

IRONSIGHT

For small game up to maybe fox the 32 is fine.
For squirrels even a 32 is over kill.
I have used 32-36-40 years ago and there is little difference on small game all will cause a lot of damage if used wrong. Head shots rule.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

ironsights1

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:23:43 AM »
Ironsight...I'm also a squirrel hunter and had been using a .29 (.285 mold) caliber flintlock  for years, but finally went to a .25 (.235 mold) caliber flintlock just for the fun of it.  During a morning's hunt I'll shoot 5-10 shots and have never had a fouling problem. I do swab just before heading for home so as to make the barrel cleaning quicker. I use either Lehigh Valley Lube or my homemade deer tallow/olive oil/beeswax lube and 30 or 20 grains of Goex 3F, respectively.  As has already been stated, head shots are necessary if you don't want to waste any meat. I suppose one could slip a roundball behind the front leg at the elbow level on a broadside shot, but the head shot is so much easier. You'll find that there's less recoil with one of these small calibers than with a .22 rifle. A pound of powder and an equal amount of lead will take you a long way in to the squirrel season.

Mike R

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
I have only a .32. I do not find it harder to clean than any other caliber.  It's a lot harder to pick up the balls to load when you have cold fingers than larger calibers.

I usually carry about twice the number of balls I think I'm going to need in the winter.  Half of them end up in the snow. If only they would sprout roots and grow into a ball tree.   ;D

Bill

Personally I think this is why bullet loading blocks were "invented"--to load small diameter balls.   I have owned all three common squirrel calibers: .32-.36-.40 [some even use larger bores].  The .40 is illegal here in Lousyanna.  I sold off my .36 years ago. I use a .32 for squirrels and other small game. I disagree in part with the statement that even a .32 is overkill on squirrels. Properly loaded it has about the same vel& en as a .22LR [and same ball weight] which is the pre-eminent squirrel round [or has been for me for over 55 years].   I have killed [cleanly] animals upwards of 50 lbs weight with a .22LR, so I figure the .32 adequate for my small game needs.  If you plan to hunt larger varmints then the .36 or .40 would be better--but THEY are overkill on most small game IMHO.
P.S.  The bore fouling issue does not seem true to me at least, but I wipe frequently...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:45:34 PM by Mike R »

Levy

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:54:36 PM »
I agree with Dan, Ironsights and Mike.  I've used the .25 cal. (this season), .29 cal., and the .32 cal. for squirrel hunting and have taken a large number of squirrels with the .29 and the .32.  The .25 is new and I'm currently really enjoying it on squirrels (I've harvested 30 with it so far this season).  I always use a bulletboard as it speeds up the reloading quite a bit and you don't have to handle the lube, ball and the patch while your trying to hunt.  I virtually never have to clean the rifle while hunting unless I've forgotten to clean out the petroleum oil before I load.  I use the Ox-Yoke type lubes.

James Levy

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »
I'm in agreement with the .40 crowd. It will be easier to find an 'accuracy' load for the .40 over a smaller calibre. The little ones can be very picky at times - even a 48" twist .40 can be.  That's why I want to try a 60" or 70' twist .40.  This is, I think a good idea for someone without a lot of experience, or someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of shots and time at a range to find an accuracy load.

The smaller calibres I've used, only down to a .36, benefit a lot from very tight ball/patch combinations that wipe each shot down as the next is loaded.  They shoot cleanly and are fairly easy to load with a 5/16" rod.(tight fit fora .32) 

Personally, I'd like to try one of the .25 to .28 cals., a slim little English 'rook' rifle, if you will, like the .32 Taylor made for a friend in Kansas - or the .36 cal. English 1/2 stock caplock rifle Taylor has, but in flint.  With a little more bend in the stock, it'd be absolutely perfect.

As to power, anything from .28 on up really isn't needed. A .350" ball from a .36 cal. will disintegrate a snowshoe hare's head & a .32" ball from a .32 will open up a grouse like a book.  I'm sure a .25 to .28 cal. ball will do likewise to a squirrel - given a descent load. Yes- head shots are the rule, and given that fact, about any calibre will do.

I am reminded of friend Keith & I out shooting hares one day. We were using squib 30gr. and 40 gr. loads & had my rut springer along for fetching the bunnies.  His .75 and my .69 worked perfectly, crushing the heads as if they were a baseball bat. that was the most fun I'd had out shooting hares in a long time.  The same could be done with squirrels.  The field is open to calibre - whatever the regulations allow.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:28:54 PM by Daryl »

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:46:37 PM »
This year for squirrel hunting I only used a .36 caliber.  I like the .36 but believe that it is a little overkill for squirrel, unless you take head shots.  this year I hit a few in the mid body section and when cleaning them they would usually tear into two pieces. -However, any roundball caliber will do about the same.  I am currently making a .30 caliber and look forward to using it but wonder about the accuracy at long distances. 
If I were going to settle for one rifle for both small game hunting and target shooting I believe that I would go with a .36 caliber or even possibly a .38.  That is just my opinion.
                                                                       Brian
B. Lakatos

Mike R

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »
I certainly agree with those that like the .40 as an all around "smaller" game  and target rifle.  Because it is illegal to hunt with a .40 here in Lousyanna, I gave mine to my son up in Arkansas. But I still think the .36 or .32 is a better squirrel rifle.  They both are plenty powerful enough, accurate enough and cheaper to shoot.  The .38 was a popular old time "hog rifle" caliber, too.  Gunmaker Bookout is a proponent of that caliber.  I kinda wish I still had a .36 [traded mine off years ago for a deer rifle].  But my little .32 is classy, petite, easy to carry and deadly on squirrels. I would not hesitate to shoot animals of larger size within reason.  Loaded up you can achieve .22 mag performance with it. If larger varmints are in the equation, then the .36 and larger calibers are better.  If the .40 were legal here or if I still had my old .36,  I may never have bought the .32; but I like my little .32 Tenn rifle.  A gunsmith friend built a beautiful .32 longrifle that is a tack driver using a little heavier barrel than I have. He built it for himself, but another fellow made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  He built mine for me with a very thin slim barrel scaled down to look good with the small Siler lock [I am short and he thought I needed a 'boys' size rifle  :-\]  It is easy to carry in the woods and has adequate hunting accuracy.  I am long used to hunting with open sighted .22s so the little .32 is a natural for me. 

BrownBear

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
I've got 32 and 36 cal, and when you get the load dialed in, there's really no difference in them for cleaning.  I can go all day without swabbing, sometimes running up close to 20 shots.  With any of them, it's a headshot-only deal, simply to save meat.  The accuracy has to be there, and for the occasional shot that wanders down into the neck, it's really worth exploring reduced loads in all calibers.  I'm down to 20 grains of 3f in both my rifles, and 15 grains is next.  A neck shot with 20 grains in either the 32 or the 36 usually ruins the front shoulders too, and you don't even want to think about a body shot with 20 grains.

It's worth tossing out that our game laws don't restrict caliber for small game or large, so as often as I use my 32 or 36, I use a 50 or 54 just as much with 30-35 grains of 3f.  I haven't used one of my 58 simply because I haven't worked up reduced loads yet.  It really doesn't matter which you use if you're taking head shots.

I'm real fascinated right now with the idea of making a 45 as a combined small game/deer rifle.  I think it will be more versatile in that role than a 40, but I kinda have the twitch for a 40, as well.  Heck, I've got the twitch for a 69 rifle too, and when I get it, I bet I use that for small game too.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:55:27 PM by BrownBear »

northmn

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:07 PM »
I used to shoot in a lot of target matches as well as hunt with a small bore and went to a 40 as it had better long range accuracy and 32's blew the heck out of small game anyway. Mainly because accuracy required about 25 grains of powder. Now that I do not shoot targets I have been thinking about building another 32. Common in barrels like GM, molds are numerous, still have a mold, and it was cheap to shoot and plenty accurate at any range I could hit a squirrel.  I shot a squirrel with a 40 this year with about 30 grains of powder and hit him a little off.  while I had to throw away the front shoulders it was not as drastic as some of the higher speed hits from a 32.  None of the small bores will break you cost wise.  32 is about like shooting a 22 mag hollow point.  Take your pick, they are all fun.

DP

IRONSIGHT

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 08:16:20 PM »
     BrownBear you bring up another subject the the .45 cal..  Here in PA. the .45 is the smallest caliber allowed for deer, and if I would just drop down to a .40 well I my as well just stick with the .45.  This was my reason of thinking to drop down to the .32.

IRONSIGHT

Bob Mac

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 06:33:22 PM »
Ironsight, you might want to check that .45 for smallgame here in PA. I think .44 is max caliber. I'm considering a .40 in the future in case I want to take it for turkey. Would a .32 be big enough for these birds? Or maybe I need a .32 and a .40. 

Dave K

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
I have them in from 32, 36, 38 and 40. They are all good and I can't say I really have a favorite. One thing nice about the 36cal is, if you walk into a Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain maybe even Wally World and they sell any round balls, I would bet they will have .350 round balls on the shelf and this is the size I shoot in my 36.

BrownBear

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 07:10:05 PM »
There's a lot to that Dave.  Sure, it's not a problem when you cast your own, that is until you travel.  If you run low or forget to bring along the right balls, you can be stuck.  Really, really stuck.  I've got to the range with the wrong balls just often enough that I now keep a selection of each size I shoot in an emergency stash in my shooting box- over and above what I pack into my shooting bag for the range trip.

Same applies with wildcats and oddball calibers in modern breechloaders.  Can't tell you how many times folks show up here in Alaska on expensive hunts with no ammo.  I know a couple of guides that keep a stock of standard caliber ammo in their lodges, just like I keep balls in my range box.  All good intensions aside, it's real easy to get away from home without the right balls.  Just like going shopping without your wallet........  Or am I the only one that does that?   ::)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:11:29 PM by BrownBear »

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 02:03:04 AM »
I have them in from 32, 36, 38 and 40. They are all good and I can't say I really have a favorite. One thing nice about the 36cal is, if you walk into a Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain maybe even Wally World and they sell any round balls, I would bet they will have .350 round balls on the shelf and this is the size I shoot in my 36.

Don't bet too heavily. Small bore balls are hard to find out here. .395s are near impossible.
32 will shoot 0 buckshot. At least my Douglas barrel did.
This is a good cheap way to obtain ammo if you can get it in 5 pound bags.
Dan

Dave K

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 02:31:31 AM »
Dan, you may be right in Montana. Here in Ohio, I see them often and even in the regular gun shops. The Hornady .350 ball seems to be in many of these stores. I can't say there is as many as the 50cal. but there is always at least 1 box of 100 in them stores. But, since I go to Friendship and the one supplier I buy ball from actually only lives about 40 mi. from me, I either get ball from him at Friendship or direct and I buy 1000 at time.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 02:38:16 AM »
I know its going to depend on location. But one should not come to the west, even to city like Billings, largest shopping area in Montana and expect to find small round balls. Probably will but its almost a toss up as I found when I started playing around with a 40 cal. after years of having nothing under 50 caliber. I had to buy a mould off e-bay.
But I really did this (Rebarrel a Mowrey) to try these.
Not getting much for accuracy yet though.

Dan

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 03:17:43 PM »
Same holds true here in NW Nebraska Dan.  You either order in the small caliber round balls or you spend the day driving to pick some up.  Cheaper to order them from TOTW, or order a mould and cast your own.

I think the reason smaller caliber round balls are more accessable in the east is because of all the muzzle loading clubs tied in with an affiliation to the NMLRA, and the .40 caliber seems to be a preferred choice amoung many of the target  shooters.  It is an accurate round IMHO.

In a kind of old way thinking some things remain the same out here as when first reported back from the Lewis & Clark Expedition, and the Ashley - Henry business venture of the 1820's...  Take a large caliber bore rifle (or smoothbore) if you head west.  This thinking hasn't changed much over the years and perhaps rightly so.  Go a bit further west of me and you might just run into that feared grizzly bear and you don't want to just have a pea shooter if you do.  But this is a topic for another discussion. :)  Aside from man, the mountain lion is the most dangerous critter where I live.

Dave K

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 07:03:04 PM »
I am sure you are right when it comes to tradition. Ohio has so many original small bores that are in the 30-40 cal range. It was the cal. of choice once this area was settled, since all the big game was gone and small game was what was here to hunt. I have a pair of original small bores. Both are were in 33-34cal range. My Dad has the "family" gun that was brought to Ohio when the family came here. It was made in Pittspurgh, by James Bown and Sons and is 34cal.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 07:06:12 PM »
<snip>  Aside from man, the mountain lion is the most dangerous critter where I live.

What?
No wolves yet?

Dan

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »
<snip>  Aside from man, the mountain lion is the most dangerous critter where I live.

What?
No wolves yet?

Dan

The powers that be haven't gotten around to reintroducing the wolves back to this area as yet.  I expect someday it will happen just like it did in and around in Yellowstone.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for nature and survival of critters that are in trouble of becoming extinct, but its a good idea to let the people of these areas know when dangerous animals have been "planted" (such as the mountain lion) so we who enjoy the outdoors stand a half chance at knowing we should not go hiking without a sidearm or any firearm for that matter where it may be needed to defend ones self or another against a hungry animal that is known as a man killer when times get tough in nature.  Colorado is all to familiar with mountain lion attacks where humans are involved, even little kids.

With this said, check this out.  It took place 25 miles west of where I live.  Scroll to the top of the page for the story;  It's got folks talking of "what's been introduced now to the area?"  This may very well just be fallout from the planting of mountain lions the G&P did in the Pine Ridge area?  Then again, you can't be sure?

http://www.thechadronnews.com/articles/2008/05/20/chadron/brief/news587.txt?show_comments=true#commentdiv