American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 09:39:08 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Black Powder Shooting
| | |-+  Wadding in Rifle loads?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wadding in Rifle loads?  (Read 1013 times)
SCLoyalist

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »

Hence, I started using Ox Yoke lubed shotgun cushion wads.  The problem immediately ceased.  I found that by using the wads, I was able to run significantly heavier charges with no damage to the patch, I was able to load consecutive shots with no difficulty, .....

An alternative to cushion wads is  a little corn meal between powder and patch/ball.   There was an article a few years ago in Muzzle Blasts suggesting corn meal filler for guns that you just couldn't get to group due to patch shredding.   I envision the cornmeal acting like a firewall and recovered patches aren't even scorched.    The downside is that loading loose cornmeal is a nuisance.
Jim B ( no, another one)

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »

I had a friend in the '80s who's TC .50 would shred patches with his 'hunting load'.  Accuracy went south too.  Since we were picking them up to look at anyway, I suggested what I'd seen in one of Sam's books about using a second patch as wadding.  We balled up a used  patch on top of the powder, and the shredding on the ball-patch went away.  Accuracy improved enuff so he felt he could hit a deer at 75 yds. too.  He thought I was a genius.  I finally told him I'd read it in a book, and was as surprised as he was that it worked like it did!  I know thicker patches and more load development would have cured it too, but that was a workable solution with the supplies at hand.

You know, I just don't know.  The more I know, the more I know I just don't know.  You know?

"When the 'sh-tuff' really hits the fan, will my i-phone tell me where to go?" my 18 y-o niece, after watching one of those 'Doomsday Preppers' shows.  I think (hope) she was kidding!
Daryl

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »

With summer coming, or here in some locals, be careful what you put between a too-thin patch and the powder. Causing fires can be very costly - in property and life.

I've always found a decent ball and patch combination NEVER shreds from the shot nor does it ignite the patch.  This pertains to every rifle, pistol and smoothbore I've ever developed loads for - once a thick enough patch is married to a large enough ball, the patch is always reusable. If it isn't, it isn't thick enough - period. 

The lube from the preceding shot should keep the fouling soft, so the next one can be loaded more easily. The lube from that one helps wipe down the inside of the bore right to the bottom of the grooves and keeps it's powder's fouling soft for the next one to be loaded - again and again - all day long, loading and shooting accurate shots, never "needing" to be wiped as the fouling never builds up.

If there is a long period of time between shots and the bore dries before you can load it again, accuracy will most likely suffer by not wiping then by all means wipe it, BUT - the lubricated load you use, should not require wiping if shooting continually.

As Ned Robert's noted of the "Dutchman" in his wonderful book, "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle" "Ven you loads der next von, you cleans der last von" - so no fouling builds up. If your combination does not do this, your combination is weak.

Daryl
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length