Author Topic: Schaffer- Pennsylvania  (Read 4224 times)

Virginiaboy

Schaffer- Pennsylvania
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »
Does anybody have information on the Schaffer gunsmith in Pa? Does anybody know how he signed is rifles? I am trying to prove or disprove a legend on a rifle this weekend.

Offline nord

Re: Schaffer- Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »
See Schaefer in the Library.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
Virginia Boy,

Below is some biographical information regarding gunsmith Joseph Shafer/Schaefer/Schaffer.  This gunsmith worked in Union County, then Venango County, and ultimately Warren County, Pennsylvania.  I believe this is the gunsmith that created the rifle featured in the ALR Library.  Please share any other information you might have regarding the Schaffer gunsmith of your "legend".  I would certainly like to see more rifles made by this gunmaker.  

Mark Loudenslager  

Joseph Shafer was a son of David Shafer b. 1775 (Berks County, PA).  Joseph was born in West Buffalo Twp., Union County, Pennsylvania, January 22, 1802, and died in Warren, Venango County (actually Warren County), PA, June 3, 1870.  He learned the gunsmith trade in Union County.  On March 3, 1825 he married Sarah Oberlin.  Sarah Oberlin was born in Calico township, Lancaster County, November 19, 1804, died at Warren, May 8, 1884.  In 1836 they removed to Venango County, near Franklin, where he purchased a farm.  He continued to work as a gunsmith at least part-time.  In about 1864 oil was discovered on his farm.  He sold the farm to an oil company and moved to the town of Warren.  On June 3, 1870, he was tragically struck and killed by an express train while walking the track near Warren.  He was a member of the Evangelical Association and in politics a Republican.
Ref. “Genealogical and Personal History of the Allegheny Valley, Volume 3, by John Woolf Jordon, p. 1056.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:39:24 AM by Loudy »

Offline Loudy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:19:24 AM »
For what it's worth, records indicate that gunsmith Ammon Klepfer (1828-1863) may have apprenticed under Joseph Shafer in Venango County, PA.  In the 1850 census, an Ammon Clepfer resided as a "Gunsmith" in the home of Jos. Shafer in Sugar Creek Twp., Venango Co., PA.  In the 1860 census Ammon Klepfer was working as a gunsmith in Germantown, Lawrence Twp., Marion Co., Indiana (near Indianapolis).  Ammon Klepfer was born in Aaronsburg, Centre County, PA, and died during the Civil War in Helena, Arkansas while serving with Company A, in the 11th Regiment of the Indiana Infantry.  Anyone know of any books that contain photos of a rifle attributed to this gunsmith?  It would be interesting to look for similarities between rifles made by A. Klepfer and J. Shafer.     

Virginia Boy,
Does any of this information substantiate any portions of your "legend"?  

Mark Loudenslager  
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:21:52 AM by Loudy »

Virginiaboy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »
The legend of a gun nearby is that Jacob Shaffer or Joseph Schaffer made it. It claims to be older then a 1780 model, both gunsmiths not born till after that year. The barrel is signed J. Shaffer, most likely the Wythe County Shaffer. I wanted some info on the Jos. Schaffer so I knew they couldn't attribute the gun to him.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 07:16:41 PM »
As it happens, I possess a small, full stocked percussion rifle marked Klepfer on the top barrel flat. It has a center patch box which at one time opened by a button located on top (and in the middle) of the comb. It was later changed to a friction catch. The lock is marked Indianapolis and something else which I don't recall at the moment. Nice to find out that the fellow was a recognized maker. Give me a few days and I will try to locate it and post some photographs.
Dick