Author Topic: Don Bruton 62 cal  (Read 7833 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Don Bruton 62 cal
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:32:22 PM »
Hello All...Well its been a long time in the makings but my Don Bruton rifle is finally here and oh was it ever worth the wait The specs are as follows. Barrel is one of Charles Burtons D weight 62 cal swamped 38 inches long. The lock is a Caywood Wilson that's fast and sparks real well. The wood is from Dunlap. A piece of slab sawn sugar maple that's harder than my ex wifes empty head. The rest of the furniture is Dons forging. I wanted the stock very dark and a boiled linseed oil finish. This gun is 54 inches long with a 3 inch drop and lop is 13 an one half inches. The weight is 9 lbs. The buttplate is what he calls a strap style. I did not know if I would like it but now that I have it in hand I will say that I love it. The front sight is a 1962 silver quarter. The pattern of this gun is his Boone pattern and would fit in around 1760-1780. Its a single trigger and Don did a very good job on the trigger pull. Hope ya like it

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Kermit

Re: Don Bruton 62 cal
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:14:05 PM »
Got pix of that patchbox up close? Open? Latch? I like it.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:25:57 PM »
Kermit I will try an get one soon. Got to get batteries for the camera. Probably be sun afternoon ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:22:29 AM »
 The patch box looks like it might be a Deep River School style with a  pivoting patch box lid. I am puzzled by the roughness of some metal parts, and the smoothness of others. I would prefer one or the other, both seems a little weird.

Hungry Horse

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:20:36 AM »
Thanks, Wttlbstr. No worries, no hurry. I'm spending Sunday flying cross-continent, so whenever is about perfect. I'm thinking a pivoting cover on my next, and so trying to pick up the finer points of 'em.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

nosrettap1958

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »
I really like the lines of that rifle. A 62 caliber that has the slender and graceful lines of a smaller caliber rifle but a real brute just the same.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:30:26 PM by crawdad »

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Looks like a NC patchbox. I like it.
Gene

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 02:38:01 AM »
Nice looking rifle.Whatcha plan on hunting with it?

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 03:31:27 AM »
Topnot it will of course get used on our deer here at home and we have got some big wild hogs here too but I've got a couple of trips west for elk in the makings and hope to one day take a bear too. A friend of mine killed a hog back this spring that weighed 272 lbs. I sure would like to see what the .600 ball would do for one like that

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 03:36:33 AM »
Im sure it will be awesome medicine for anything that walks this continent!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 03:42:33 AM »
Yeah I wanted a rifle I could carry anywhere and hunt anything with an this should get er done.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
I like it. A no nonsense hunting rifle.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Bentflint

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »
Nice rifle, it looks like it wants to kill.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »
Nice rifle and I love the fact that you plan to hunt with it.  I love the big bores and have a Hawken in .62 caliber and am having a .62 caliber Jaeger built right now.  I can't wait to see what either of them will do on whitetail, mulies and elk.  Best of luck in your hunting adventures with this beautiful rifle.

LIBERTY

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 09:49:21 AM »
That's everything I love in a rifle!!!! Big bore, very smooth lines, everything perfectly fitted with no gaudy and unnecessary carving or inlays. A fellow with that in his hands has no need of ever having to back down from any critter in the U.S.A. or most any other place!!!
Your one lucky man!!!!!