Author Topic: Dutch Flintlock Pistol  (Read 9471 times)

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Dutch Flintlock Pistol
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:10:16 AM »
Hey Folks,
    I finally finished this flintlock pistol I've been working on a couple months.  I had it mostly built in my shop in Massachusetts, and then had to move out to the Pacific Northwest and finished it in a temporary shop I set up in my friend's place.  This started out as a walnut precarved stock from Selinda Kennedy, bought when she was getting rid of her last parts at Dixon's after selling the business to Chris Altland.  I bought a number of other pistol parts from Selinda at the time, and the barrel and sideplate were there as well.  Barrel is .45cal rifled, about 8" long.  Buttcap, ramrod pipes, and other small parts made by me.  Triggerguard is a few different parts brazed together.  Chambers oil finish. 

Historically, this is roughly based on a 1760's Dutch pistol on Bolk-Antiques, with some other Dutchy and slightly French attributes.  The style and barrel lend itself to early colonial American pistols as well (particularly as it's a Black walnut stock, which looks and works quite differently than European walnut).  I have photos of several early American pistols stocked in cherry and black walnut that stylistically are similar to this - round face lock, 8-10" barrel (usually smoothbore, occasionally rifled), pierced floral sideplates, and rounded buttcaps.  Triggerguards vary between French/Dutch style (with posts and various floral finials) and English styles with the pineapple slowly beginning to develop. 

I haven't built a gun in a few years, so it feels good to have finished this.  Any constructive feedback on it is always appreciated!  This will be for sale soon - I'll post an ad in the for sale section when the time comes.  Best,
-Eric

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:41:20 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: Dutch Flintlock Pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
Superbly cool pistol.

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »
I am in awe, very nice.  Love the looks.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
Really nicely done Eric.  It seems to me to be a comfortable and confident sidearm.  Love the view of the breech from the top.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
I like it! very nicely done.

Alex E.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »
Beautiful work!  I like the full grip anD buttcap.
Who made the barrel?

Best regards
Rolf

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »
Nice work Eric,Glad to see you're back making some guns!!!!!!!

Mitch Yates

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
  Well done Eric, beautiful lines. Look forward to your next.

Tim C.

pushboater

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
Beautiful work. I especially like the way the molding around the trigger guard extends forward to the ramrod entry pipe. First time I've seen that, but then again, I've never examined very many mid 1700's pistols. Thanks for sharing Eric.

Capt. David

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
Nicely done Mr VonA.  Glad to see you back at it.

How's it going on the Left Coast??
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »
Very nice work, Eric. This has a great look, and I bet it handles well, too.

I'd like to hear about how the wood was for carving. Black walnut does not always lend itself to carving. But it looks like you did a fine job of it. It doesn't look like you struggled with it, but I may be mistaken. Sweet looking piece.

One thing that I often overlook is the amount of effort that goes into the finishing of the work. This pistol is very nicely finished and colored, has a real warm feel to it, a very believe-able piece.

Nice work!

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »
I handled Eric's pistol last Saturday.  It has that nice warm look and feel.  One of the first things I noticed was how well it points.  It was very natural and  felt like an extension of my hand.  For a small gun, this pistol has it all.  Very nicely done Eric!
David
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:48:00 AM by David Rase »

ironwolf

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
  It's a beauty Eric.  Looks like it feels good in the hand.  Doesn't look too new or to aged either.

Kevin W.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »
I like that!
Fine job.
John
John Robbins

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 11:15:09 PM »
I like it much!

Very natural looking build. I am starting to love simple engraving more and more. Everything about this gun has a nice feel to me.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »
Eric,
That is a very apealing pistol you built there.  Thanks for posting it.... I don't know enough about pistols to offer any critiques.  Nicely done!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

cheyenne

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:51 AM »
Beautiful.....has the look of an oold, well cared for piece. Really nice.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:12 AM »
Oh boy, I'm gonna need a new hat soon...   Thanks for the positive feedback on the pistol! 

The barrel I bought from Selinda Kennedy, it may have been milled by Bill Kennedy, or might have been made by one of his suppliers (Getz?) but there's no makers stamp on it. 

This particular piece of walnut was tough to carve.  It wasn't as dense as anything else I usually carve (hard maple, cherry, european walnut), so I had to adjust my technique with the parting tool and gouges.  The modeling was done with a series of miniature fine-tooth riffler files.  Scraping it was also a different experience as the scraper wanted to dig in and make ridges if you didn't alter the angle and direction as you made subsequent passes. 

The left coast is beautiful, though my first contract as a captain with a wilderness therapy venture up in Bellingham was just cancelled due to low enrollment - grrr... gives me good incentive to build a proper bench and work 9-5 on rifles for the time being.  Next on the bench is a .50cal Lehigh Rupp style rifle and a .45 Lehigh pistol with some blending of Rupp and Kuntz details. 

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:25:02 AM by EvonAschwege »
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
go see Dave Rase. He's got a really big head, probably has some hats he's outgrown.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:15 PM »
go see Dave Rase. He's got a really big head, probably has some hats he's outgrown.  ;D
Yeah, let me grab that Tri-corn hat you photographed (photoshopped) me in that I wore at Dixon's a few years back when I won my second Madison Grant award.  That would be a good starter hat for Eric. 
I just purchased a new set of hand cuffs and planned on talking Eric into giving my inletting machine a try and then when he least expected it, click.......him and the machine become one!   ;D
Shouldn't cost that much to feed him, though I do recall a picture in the ALR archives of him ogling a rather large burger.  On second thought..........
David

Offline cmac

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »
VERY NICE! Thanks for sharing

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 03:31:49 AM »
Eric:
  Hope all is well. I really can't add much more- the others have pretty much said it all.  You did an excellent job on this pistol.  The carving, finish and hardware give it a wonderful look.
Steve Collward

Offline PPatch

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 05:50:03 AM »
Besides being well done in all respects that pistol looks like it would point so naturally. Love the curve of the handle from the breech back. Nice engraving overall and carving on the fore end.

Like it, a lot.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?