Author Topic: Heddon Rifle on the Blog  (Read 4566 times)

SuperCracker

Heddon Rifle on the Blog
« on: June 19, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »
Can anyone point me to more info on the fowler (fowleresque rifle) on the blog today?   Is that an original or a very well aged contemporary?  I was literally about start on building a smoothy EXACTLY like that tonight.

I have a feeling that the details are there and I just don't know where to look.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:29:57 AM by SuperCracker »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Rifle/Fowler on Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 06:40:59 PM »
If you're referring to the one with the roundball hole in the stock it is a contemporary piece by Randy Heddon,who frequents here.Hopefully he'll chime in with his inspiration for the piece.

Mitch
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:41:38 PM by aka tallbear »

SuperCracker

Re: Rifle/Fowler on Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »
Thanks. I sure hope he does. I'd like to learn more about it.

Seeing that it's a contemporary piece, let me go ahead and say what an awesome job of aging I think that is.

The premise behind my build is/will be a smoothbore that's been carried around the Florida swamps by a late 18th/early 19th century Cracker Cowboy for a decade or more after having been shortened for use mounted. that's pretty much the exact profile I've used and rough aging. Only I was going to make it iron mounted.

Offline art riser

Re: Heddon Rifle/Fowler on Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »
It was made for me about fifteen years ago by Randy Hedden and it is the
only gun I have carried since.    Todd Daggett

SuperCracker

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:46:55 PM »
It was made for me about fifteen years ago by Randy Hedden and it is the
only gun I have carried since.    Todd Daggett

Well, it's very nice.

Judging by what you said I assume it shoots well too.   What are the specs on it?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:45:13 AM by SuperCracker »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:31:13 AM »
Of course I like it. It's a very cool gun with oodles of character.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: Heddon Rifle on the Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
I like the "barn red" paint & the Chuck Leonard Iron Cross. Now that's how to fit a fowler butt plate... shoot it on. I don't understand all those ramrod pipes though.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
Tons of character.  Inspirational!  The cross of trade silver pieces is creative.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »
I remember discussing this gun at one of our local matches when Randy built this rifle and his description about shooting a hole in the butt.  Todd was a hardcore firepi**er back then, but I think he must have settled down a bit in the ensuing years......or maybe not.  ;)
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson