Author Topic: Light Trap on Rear Sight  (Read 3878 times)

nchunter

Light Trap on Rear Sight
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »
A lot of rear sights have this curved surface on the front of them (see photo below).  I've heard this referred to as the "light trap".  What/how does this light trap function?  Does it funnel the light into the slit, to make the opening brighter?  Or does it absorb the light rays to reduce the glint/glare?  I'm not understanding the optics of it.

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
Re: Light Trap on Rear Sight
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:40:12 PM »
It makes the rear sight slot look sharper to the eye.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:24:39 AM »
 The indent is to reduce the reflective area within the notch of the sight. The thicker the inside of the notch is, the fuzzier it will appear. I have seen sights that  are bored completely through, and have a very thin silver filler soldered into them to reduce reflection. Silver is used because it will turn a nice flat black when exposed to powder smoke, and foulings, further reducing glare.

Hungry Horse

Lutes

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:38:44 AM »
Should  the curve area face you or be on the back side of sight?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:39:46 AM by Lutes »

necchi

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 06:49:06 AM »
The curve is towards the front, away from the shooter.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
 This is one of the easiest ways for a beginner to upgrade his existing sighting system. Back in the day I must have reworked a hundred CVA Mountain Rifle, and Frontier rifle, sights. These are pretty easy to find at gun shows and shoots, and are a real good primitive sight. Replica muzzleloader sights that rely on a coil spring aren't nearly as good, and often don't stay in adjustment. The old CVA's were made of spring steel, and adjusted with a screw that contacted the barrel. Once set they stay where they are supposed too. They had a real thick sight notch, that could easily be reduced with a small ball type grind stone in an electric drill, or Dremel, run on low speed.
 I have also bore a couple of these through, and used the soldered on method mentioned previously, with good success. I even made a peep sight for an elderly shooters pistol out of one of these.

Hungry Horse

Lutes

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
Thanks Necchi just wanted to make sure I have been putting them on correctly. That is the way that made sense to me.