Author Topic: Priddy rifle on the blog  (Read 3645 times)

Bill

Priddy rifle on the blog
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:05:15 AM »
WOW!! this rifle takes study just to take it all in. I counted 3 faces on the carvings/inlays so far alone. His work is amazing and to watch him execute some of it just astonishes me at how easy he makes it appear. Well done Dennis!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Priddy rifle on the blog
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
No comment...... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
The inlay work is top notch, of course, but the piece looks to me that it has an enormous European influences like it should be hanging at Versailles or something. If it's an example of an American built rifle, its way off.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »
I admire the skill required to make the rifle, but it is not something I find appealing in the least.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Dogshirt

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »
Ezra said it best for me.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
It's different that's for sure.  ::)  ::)  ::)
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:42 PM »
Let me make a brief educational comment. Chiseled decoration and locks of this style are generally of the 17th century and are of dutch origin... The architecture does not reflect this time period. The wire pattern on this gun was used in the 3rd 1/4 of the 18th century, mainly on high end english guns. I'm a bit confused on what is being represented... ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:53:51 AM »
Don't think representing any period? contemporary!!!! more like it.... i'd agree with mike B. mixture of era's. but wonderfully done. chisled engraving not easy to do!!!! very clean and background flat as well. most cheat and stipple or line to hide cuts. No corners cut here. I'm not one for half stocks but i really like this gun and workmanship!!!! great gun.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Dogshirt

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 05:29:29 AM »
I will state my own and not just ride Ezra's coat tail.
This is just BUTT UGLY!