Author Topic: Sealing the rifle mortise and barrel channel  (Read 3790 times)

1911tex

Sealing the rifle mortise and barrel channel
« on: June 27, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
New poster, but loooooooooong time B/P flinter.  What do you fellas use to waterproof/seal the mortise and bbl channels?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Sealing the rifle mortise and barrel channel
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
A true boiled inseed oil soft varnish cut with some aged Turpentine just like the rest of the stock.  But not enough to cause any significant buildup.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:49:53 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:35:26 PM »
Generally speaking use the same sealer you used on the rest of the gun.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
I concur with whatever u use for stock sealer/finish.
Tom C.

MarkEngraver

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:41:38 AM »
I also like a linseed oil finish, but before final assembly I liberally coat the barrel channel/ tang inlet with Johnson's Paste Wax and then press the barrel down into it, replace the barrel pins/keys and then wipe the excess off.
I do this in the furniture piece inlets also.
Seems to do a good job keeping moisture out  from under things.

Mark

1911tex

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 04:49:38 AM »
Thanks fellas, now I will reconsider my original thought of using Tung Oil which is what I had originally finished the outside of the gun; (it soaks into the wood).  I have experienced a small amount of wood rot about the size of dimes (rain, barrel cleaning, oil, etc) over many years of not removing the barrel periodically for inspection and apparently water pooled up in couple of low spots...which I am going to fill with epoxy after scraping out the small amount of rot. This flinter has survived 45 years of use all over south Texas.  The bbl. underside also had a very small amount of rust is a couple of spots. I am not about to give it up...it is still a beautiful gun...kinda like old Willies guitar.

Modified:  Just thinking of my above comment about the age of my .50 flinter...please don't misunderstand, I can afford a newer rifle many times over, but this gun is like an old pair of boots.......it just fits!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:14:02 AM by 1911tex »