Author Topic: Interesting piece of history  (Read 3957 times)

nosrettap1958

Interesting piece of history
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Great piece of history recreated by Ken Netting.  Interesting lock, a variation or one half step up from your basic snaphaunce firelock, maybe?  

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search/label/Ken%20Netting
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:02:28 PM by crawdad »

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: Interesting piece of history
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:20:27 AM »
  Looks like one of Leonard Day's dog catch locks. You can see the horizontal sear below the tail of the cock.
                                                  Dan

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »
Hi Crawdad,
It is what Brian Godwin calls a type 1 English lock, most of which were converted  snaphaunces with the typical lateral sears. Some had the dog catch behind the cock and some did not. They are simple and pretty reliable locks. Below is a photo of one I built without the dog.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

nosrettap1958

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:16:37 PM »
Smart Dog, that's great work!!!! I was a little confused by the separate pan and wanted to know where in the evolution of the flintlock that lock fitted in. Thanks for the information!!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:04:34 AM »
Great piece of history recreated by Ken Netting.  Interesting lock, a variation or one half step up from your basic snaphaunce firelock, maybe?  

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search/label/Ken%20Netting
I really like this gun. It is full of great "Nettingisms". I don't know what I'd use it before, but I'd be pleased if I owned it....great character.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »
If you search the Contemporary Makers blog, you will find a similar gun built by Jack Duprey.
Mark Thomas