Author Topic: Flintlock Marked N.W. PATCH on a J.D. Rifle  (Read 17419 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Flintlock Marked N.W. PATCH on a J.D. Rifle
« on: June 29, 2013, 03:47:57 AM »
Has anyone ever run across this name on a lock before? It is a new one on me.    
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:40:38 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Flintlock Marked N.W. PATCH
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 04:47:04 AM »
Joel,
How about the rest of the rifle?
Buck

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 06:40:08 AM »
I don't find the name either.
It's a nice looking lock.
I agree with Buck,,, let's see the rest of it!

John
John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
Patience you guys! I've got to get out the smoke and mirrors and create a bit of illusion and mystery here for a while. ;) Besides, this one isn't quite in the nest yet.
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 11:56:32 PM »
Joel. Stop smokin that stuff and lookin in the mirror. We wanna see her ;D
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 02:31:39 AM »
OK Rob, this rifle is the work of the mysterious maker only known as J D.  If there is anyone out there who knows who J D was, I'd sure like to hear about him.  Oh......it aint Jack Daniels! That's what I am smokin, through a straw! ;D     
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:42:12 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 02:44:30 AM »

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:46:29 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 02:48:41 AM »

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:51:18 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 02:52:45 AM »

Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 03:42:14 AM »
Joel. I can see why you want to bring that one home. It has an early look to my untrained eye. The signature is very distinct and hopefully someone will disclose the maker. The patchbox is interesting like the tip of a flame?  Any history on it?  Specs?  How abot the pipes and nosecap?  Nice find.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 04:00:58 AM »
Rob, There is a rifle's patchbox and an identical barrel signature pictured in Chandler's Red patchbox book. I do not have any history on this piece but everything looks untouched and original right down to the ramrod. The barrel is 40 1\2" long and has never been cut. It is approx 45 caliber. It is a very petite rifle with lines that I really like. The shape and form kind of remind me of rifles of Nicholas Hawk. The ramrod pipes are very long as you will see from this next picture.    
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:07:14 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 04:55:33 AM »
Jacob Deemer apprentice to Hawk. There you have it

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 05:52:41 AM »
Deemer was my first thought too, but I have to admit just having seen a rifle by him at the KRA show certainly spurred on that thought!
The Hawk look alike engraving (although not as good as Hawks) plus some of Hawks touches on some of the castings certainly makes Mr. Deemer a distinct possibility for the JD signature.

John
John Robbins

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
Is there any documentation or published information about Jacob Deemer? Did the KRA show rifle have a full signature on it and did it have attributes comparable to any of these JD signed rifles?  Thanks Rob and John for this important lead. More digging is also needed on the lock maker name. N W PATCH almost sounds like a nick name for a one eye'd iron monger.
Joel Hall

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 03:28:32 PM »
On the few rifles I've seen like this( three maybe four). They were marked with initials only J.D. I always admired there lines.
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »
I will try to get the contact info for the kra exhibitor with the deemer.  I think he was a descendant. He had done some research on h im. I can't recall his name. Can anyone else?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 03:19:23 AM »
I don't recall his name either, although I talked to him for a while regarding his Deemer rifle.
He had an educational display that was on the right hand side of the entrance door, on the wall down near the end of the room. Right about where Homer Dangler had a table.
The Deemer rifle he had, from 6 feet away, looked like a Hawk rifle with typical patchbox.
John
John Robbins

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 04:54:46 AM »
John, you may try calling Ruth.  She would know from her table chart who that table holder was.  It was good visiting with you at the meeting.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 12:37:52 PM »
I gleaned this information about this lock maker from another muzzleloading site; "PATCH, N. W.— U. S. Inspector of Contract Arms, 1834-40. Inspected
arms at the Nathan Starr plant 1834-40. "     Having such an unusual name using these same first and middle initials very well could be the same guy. I speculate that before this career for the government Mr. Patch worked as a locksmith somewhere in eastern PA.  Now if I could just find more on Jacob Deemer and his connections with N. Hawk?
Joel Hall

Offline Buck

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
He was at the 2nd table to the right next to the Sargent at Arms, for the life of me I can't remember his name either. The Deemer rifle had been found in several pieces and he had it restored. Rob and I conversed with him for a bit. 

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Friday, I emailed Ruth for his name. I imagine we will have his name shortly.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »
Thanks Noel & Rob! Well, I closed the deal and brought her home.  Felt like an archeologist removing the lock and barrel. A totally untouched rifle in original flint. Barrel is original length. Smooth bore between 45-47 caliber. Like I said, pretty plain but boy what great architecture! 
Joel Hall

Offline Buck

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 09:45:43 PM »
Nice, can we expect to see you 2 in August ?
Buck

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 10:23:36 PM »
I received the following email today from Ruth Collis, apparently in response to email(s) she received from those posting here:
"I seem to have lost the email requesting name of table holder at the show. It was either Steve Hilberg (new) or next table - Glenn Sutt.  Hope this helps."
Wayne Elliott

Offline Buck

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 12:54:03 AM »
Rob is better with names, neither of those 2 ring a bell. For some reason I thought he said he was related to Deemer or lived a stone throw away from where his shop was. I don't know if Rob was present at that conversation or if I was at the table with John, but I made it to his table twice. Maybe they both would remember, but this guy had the low down skinny on Deemer.
Buck