Author Topic: 19th century date notation??  (Read 2260 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
19th century date notation??
« on: July 01, 2013, 05:03:39 AM »
I have an antique Kentucky rifle in my collection which has numbers faintly, but nicely, engraved on one of the guard extensions.  As follows:
6  20  25
For years, I assumed that was a previous owner's identification system.  However, since rifle would date to the 1820s, I  recently began to wonder if that could be a date of completion that the maker put on it.  My efforts to determine whether such numerical notation of dates was used in the 19th century, as it is today.  Any suggestions?
Wayne Elliott

Offline nord

Re: 19th century date notation??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »
Just an observation...

At this stage of life I seldom say never. For this reason I don't discount the possibility that the engraving is original. On the other hand I'd opine the engraving to be unusual.

Judging from older texts and even cemetery markers, my experience has been that dates even to the third quarter of the 1800's generally abbreviate the month in characters while including the day and the full year, not just the last digits. The use of the dash between number groups, while certainly not new, might be viewed with a degree of suspicion. After the turn of the century the "XX-XX-XX" configuration became common. I guess not many thought there was another "00" coming up anytime soon.

I'd be inclined to accept the piece for what it is and not make any rash judgement as to exactly the meaning of these numbers. If they date back to something important connected with this gun, then fine! Wouldn't we all love to know the history? If the engraving came at a later date? It is what it is.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: 19th century date notation??
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:37:14 AM »
I agree- the rifle stands on its own and the numbers are merely a puzzle to be solved, or not. 
Wayne Elliott