Author Topic: Marvin Kemper rifle.  (Read 10752 times)

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Marvin Kemper rifle.
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:51:10 AM »
A great rifle on the cover of Muzzle Blasts this month. A Lexington, KY rifle by Marvin Kemper. My idea of a 10 out of 10.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Marvin Kemper rifle.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »
Marvin has done this rifle to the nines. It's a glorious embodiment of all things we (I) like to see in a longrifle. In my sheltered little world, I've never heard of Marvin before, and now will add him to my list of great gunbuilders.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/07/marvin-kemper.html

http://libertylongrifles.com/
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 03:47:46 PM »
eeyoooow! Nice!!

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

JB2

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
Nice work!!!  durn few second gen gunmakers these days.  I wonder if he'd be up for receiving visitors?  I'll have to call.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:50:22 PM »
A great rifle on the cover of Muzzle Blasts this month. A Lexington, KY rifle by Marvin Kemper. My idea of a 10 out of 10.

If I saw it unattributed I would think it was a Shipman.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 07:40:51 PM »
If I saw it unattributed I would think it was a Shipman.

Your statement honors both builders very nicely.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »
You guys need to see the rifles Marvin brings to the CLA show.  Top notch in every way.
Gary Tucker

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »
I have. And they are good. And I enjoy his fathers work in his time.  This one is really , really good. Keep it up.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 02:40:05 AM »
I can't remember ever meeting Marvin, but that gun sure is outstanding, knocked my socks off.............Don

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »
It is a great rifle and one that represents a group of gunmakers relatively undocumented to date by contemporary work - and Marvin has certainly set the mark high for others who want to follow.  The rifle is just as sleek as can be, and a great representation of a Lexington style gun. 

There will be some additional photos posted with a feature on Marvin and the rifle on the CLA auction website soon.

The piece is the third great firearm we have for this year's auction and all of them are really something special - the Darrin McDonal/Jim Parker copy of the John Jacob Sheetz Battle of New Orleans rifle; Bob Browner's Phillip Creamer/Andrew Jackson Duelling pistol (engraved by Layne Zuelke) and now Marvin's Bryan/Lexington style gun.  I can't say enough good about these artists or their work, and their generosity.

Guy

Offline Dave R

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
I have visited with Marvin on several occasions during the building & completion process and I must say it is a fine piece of art! Fit finish & architecture is exceptional! A great recreation of a Lexington / Bryan riflegun by a top notch builder !! ;) His father Cornell would be proud!!
Dave R

IKE

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 05:10:09 AM »
GREAT gun and friend.

IKE

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 05:24:09 AM »
Marvin Kemper is another unknown MASTER.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 07:31:43 AM »
Very well executed gun . Very crisp and the architecture is spot on. Nothing but compliments from me.
 I've always found Sell's work interesting, I'm glad to see somebody take it on and do so well with it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »
The CLA/CLF auction website now has the posting of Marvin's Lexington style rifle up now with more detail shots - here is the link - enjoy!  There are a lot of neat details on this rifle and the last few shots are closeups that give a real feel for the quality of the fit, finish and overall workmanship on this gun.

http://www.contemporarylongriflefoundation.org/cgi-bin/2013news.cgi?record=14

Guy

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
For those of us from Indiana, Marvin's work has been well-known and appreciated for a number of years now. He's always had a better-than-most eye for what a rifle should look like, i.e. correct lines, and takes whatever time is needed so that the work has proper architecture - which makes or breaks most rifles. The quality of his work is only exceeded by the quality of Marvin himself, a great person who is enjoyable to get to know.

Marvin restocked the parts of the only known William Turner Bryan (son of gunsmith Daniel Bryan of Bryan's Station fame) rifle for me a couple of years ago. He was meticulous in his preparation, using two other Bryan rifles to provide any needed stock details. The end result was a superbly rebuilt rifle...the twin of the CLA auction rifle...which I am proud to have in my collection. One insightful story about the build explains Marvin's character and personal values more than a hundred words.

When discussing the Bryan project, Marvin asked about the quality of stock wood. Since the gun would be a restocked piece, I didn't believe it needed a fancy stock, so I told Marvin to use an average piece of maple, nothing great, so curl was there but faded in and out a little. When I picked the rifle up, I was amazed at the quality of the wood in the stock, a superb blank of finest curl from end to end, top to bottom. I looked at Marvin in disbelief and asked him how the gun ended up with such great wood. He paused a moment, then told me with a straight face, "It was just one of my average blanks." I'm sure I got the better end of the deal with the wood, not to mention the hand-made triggers he spent hours filing out rather than modifying a modern set as I had suggested. The gun had become a labor of love for Marvin as he got more vested in it, almost as if it were his own gun. That's Marvin, a superb builder and great human being all rolled into one.  Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:12:25 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Joey R

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 12:06:41 AM »
Mr. Gallien, I also know Marvin and I couldn't have said it any better than you just did. Joey Rosbottom.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:07:37 AM by Joey R »
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 02:04:12 AM »
Having photographed the rifle,  I can tell you that it is much nicer than the photographs.   I couldn't get rid of all the glare and that detracts from the photos on the cover.   You wouldn't notice any of that viewing it in person.       However,  if you look at the hi-res photos of it on  my photo web site ( http://www.markelliottphotography.com/wordpress/portfolio/product-photography/productfirearms-photography/contemporary-lexingtonky-style-rifle-by-marvin-kemper/),  you will see that the photos do show that the workmanship is top notch.       

nosrettap1958

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
Notice the curvature of the butt plate on that Kentucky.  Granted, nowhere near as pronounced as the Tennessee, but the beginning of the separation from the straight butt plates of the Pennsylvania-Maryland-Virginia rifles. No?

Can we say that as the rifle moved west a differing profile was being created or was the curvature of the butt plate made necessary as the Appalachian- Kentucky-Tennessee rifle makers moved away from the swamped barrel therefore making the rifle an easier hold with a straight barrel?

And for the fellow who wrote that piece on the Contemporary Makers web-site, a quote, From a high ranking British officer who fought all over the world, his name was General George Hanger, he said, that, “I never in my life saw better rifles then those made in America” The American longrifle was world famous.

From Michael McIntosh's "The Big-Bore Rifle" Page 23.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:30:19 PM by crawdad »

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 07:08:46 AM »
Butt piece curvature wasn't as much a matter of region as it was of period.   Butt pieces in all regions became more curved from the mid 18th century to the mid 19th century.   It was more a matter of how the rifles were used; from hunting large game to hunting small game and target shooting.  There isn't much difference between butt pieces of VA, TN and KY of the same period in time.   

Offline heinz

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 03:27:13 PM »
Shelby Gallien, in his new book, noted  that early Kentucky rifles in the plain style with no butt plate show the extreme curve and extended heel perhaps from the 1780's. 
kind regards, heinz

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 09:44:10 PM »
I would be very interested in reading Gallien's book.   Unfortunately,   I just can't afford it right now.