Author Topic: Rust Prevention Gun Lube Test - 2nd Test Added  (Read 20819 times)

Dancy

Rust Prevention Gun Lube Test - 2nd Test Added
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »
I have read alot about gun lubes/oils for rust prevention on this forum and others, but there often is a difference of opinion on the subject. Finally decided to do my own test and see how things shake out. Of course this is only one test and done in the back yard for rust prevention, we all know gun lubes must do more than that, so take it for what it is, your results will vary.

The test material was a new piece of flat, mild steel that I gave a good scrubbing with a steel brush on a hand grinder. Before applying the various oils the metal was cleaned with rubbing alcohol on a white paper towel. A marker was used to number and divide the test sample areas. Application of the oils was done with a clean piece of the towel for each and was rubbed on by hand taking care to avoid cross contamination. The test was started around 9 pm on 6\28\13 and included 15 oils/lubes plus one other item, dish washing soap. Why soap? Some folks use it for patch lube and some mixed with water for cleaning and some swear to never touch it because is has salt in it....I just wanted to know what it would do.

The oils included: 1. Hoppe's Oil  2. Hoppe's #9 Solvent  3. Ballistol  4. Break Free CLP (old bottle)  5. WD-40  6. TW25B   7. Eezox   8. RIG   9. FP-10  10. Kroil   11. Bear Oil   12. Bore Butter   13. Motor Oil   14. Olive Oil   15. Dawn Soap   16. Rem Oil (sheets)  Please note that TW25B is a grease that has a light brown color to it, you are not seeing rust on that sample.

With the test metal prepped, I sat it outside in the weather to see what would happen. Didn't take long for the heavy rain to start, about an hour and it was wet and would remain that way till morning. Approximately 9am , 12 hrs into the test, I looked for signs of rust. The following had some form of light rust and/or spots visable: 1. Hoppe's Oil  5. WD-40  10. Kroil   12. Bore Butter   13. Motor Oil   15. Dawn Soap   16. Rem Oil   Must say the rust was very minor with WD-40 and Bore Butter. The Dawn Soap was 100% covered with rust, does that mean it shouldn't be used in muzzleloader barrels at all, decide for yourself.  

Next I wanted to speed this up and really separate the men from the boys. Two words, Salt and Water, I used plenty of it! Is this a fair test as related to firearms? Maybe not, but if I dropped one from a canoe or lost it in a snow drift this might give me some idea of what works best. First the salt....

Then added water with a spray bottle......

with it still laying in the grass I covered it with a sheet of plastic in approximately 80 deg. weather for another 6hrs.

Starting to see some big changes now. Rinsed it with water and this is what I found...

I would now consider all the samples as "failed" except four standouts! They were not untouched, but clearly in much better shape than all the others. It was obvious seeing it in person, I hope it shows well to you in the photos. The best rust preventatives in my test were:  4. Break Free CLP   6. TW25B   7. Eezox   8. RIG  Surprisingly to me, the Hoppe's #9 Solvent did pretty well too, just not in the same class as the top four.

After the salt test the samples were left out in the weather for a total of one week. It turned out to be a great week too, rained everyday with a total rainfall of 10 inches! The winners are easier to see now and it should be noted that the RIG was still beading water on its surface.

Would most oils be ok to protect your firearms in normal conditions, I think so. Are some better at rust prevention than others, YES!

9-10-13  OK, decided to give an update as well as ran an additional test of 18 other lubes/oils.

Week 5 of first test: We have had unusually high volumes of rain in the mountains of NC this year and the test metal has been out in it day and night the whole time, here is what it looks like now.

Test No. 2: Started 7-20-13 and included, from left to right, 20. 3n1 Silicone  21. Slick 50-One Lube  22. Dupont DriLube  23. Inhibitor  24. Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent  25. Hoppe's Elite Gun Oil  26. Outer's Gun Oil  27. Gunslick Ultra-Lube  28. M- Pro 7 Gun Oil LPX  29. Strike Hold Metal Conditioner  30. Barricade  31. S&W Bore & Action Cleaner  32. Rem Oil  33. Frog Lube  34. Eezox  35. Renaissance Wax  36. Johnson Paste Wax  37. Turtle Wax  38. ATF  39. STP

I included Rem Oil and Eezox as reference since they were in the first test also. Three waxes were included this time because they are often touted as better than oils, we will see. Frog Lube is fairly new and often talked about online, so I really wanted to see if the hype is true.  Please note that I heated the metal with a hair dryer before applying the Frog Lube as recommended, I also applied the Eezox while warm, not sure if that was a good idea or not. It was allowed to cool down before putting on any of the other lubes.

Did not have rain in the overnight forecast like the first test, so I laid paper towels on the 2nd test metal and wet them with the garden hose. This is what it looked like after 12 hours.

Then I repeated the 6hr salt test using the same method as in the 1st test, really starting to see some changes now....

Now let's look at it on 8-3-13, two weeks exposure to the wet mountain weather

a closer look, the Dupont DriLube and Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent are doing pretty well

also look'n good is.........Frog Lube! Dang maybe it isn't just hype, that is Eezox to it's right and showing some rust (maybe I should not have put it on warm??).

In summary I would say top performers from both tests include: Break Free, TW25B, Eezox, Rig, Dupont DriLube, Shooter's Choice Rust Prevent and Frog Lube

Also doing OK were Hoppe's No. 9 (the classic solvent), STP (would be very messy on a gun though) and Johnson's Paste Wax.

Let me say the waxes didn't do as well as I was hoping and the Johnson's going on the thickest of the three, did better in the long run against rust, however it might be a problem in checkering or other tight spaces with buildup. The Renaissance was disappointing against rust, but gives a really nice, clean looking finish that doesn't show finger prints. I will probably use it on some of my lighter duty guns, but keep it's limitations in mind.

Eezox didn't seem to do as well in the second test, so heating the metal before applying it may have decreased it's performance. Would require more testing to know for sure, but it did very well in the first test and has proven to be a top notch rust stopper through the years and I will continue to use it.

Two very common gun oils that I see sold in almost every gun shop are Hoppe's Oil and RemOil. From my tests and just my personal opinion they are very poor at preventing rust. They may be great at other things, your money, your guns, your choice.

These are extreme tests and I still feel the majority of gun lubes/oils will do a fine job under normal conditions, hopefully this will give you some indication of their rust prevention when deciding what your needs are.

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did doing the tests!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:12:01 AM by J. Dancy »

Offline drago

Re: Rust Prevention Gun Lube Test
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
Thanks, I have heard good things about Break Free and was planning on trying it. I definitely will now. Is Rig a grease?

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »
J.  Nice demonstration.  It does duplicate what others have shown under different conditions.  I will continue using Breakfree and Rig. Drago, Rig is a specific grease developed for firearms.  You can get from Brownells, I believe, and most good gun stores. It is not for shooting or patch lube. It is great for storage.
kind regards, heinz

William Worth

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »
I love experiment/demos like this.  They certainly add data points for my collection of "goops and glops" and help affirm or deny my selections and practices.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
 I used break free for years, but found that over time it would allow a small amount of rust. I talked to a guy, that ran a local industrial supply, that served the geothermal steam wells near my home. He asked me to try break frees chain and cable foam. I bought a can, and sure enough its heavier body did the trick, no rust after long wet winters in storage.

Hungry Horse

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 08:01:52 PM »
nice test you've done. Confirmed what I've always thought about RIG! I'll keep using it!
Tom C.

Offline sydney

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 10:33:04 PM »
Good test-i have seen other tests done with similar results
  Some use WD40 but your test shows it s not as good as people think
    Sydney

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »
That was a very demonstrative test. Thanks.

I agree - Sydney,  but, much depends on what you are asking the WD40 to do. Is it an oil for rust prevention in long tern storage in humid or out in the weather?

No.

Have any of my muzzleloaders rusted their bores over the decades I've been using WD40 as a final moisture flush after patch drying and 'preservative' between shooting them?

No.

Will I change the way I am cleaning, drying and oiling?

No.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline sydney

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:42:20 AM »
Daryl--Maybe you should-we are never too old to learn
           Try Eezoz and you won t go back
             Sydney

Dancy

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »
Hungry Horse, I believe you are onto something, some tests I have read Break Free did great and others not so well, could be a time factor. Maybe it dries up and become ineffective? Of the top four it is the only actual oil, Eezox dries to a wax and the others are a grease. I know they make a Collectors grade of Break Free now, it might be more like the Cable/Chain foam you mentioned, would like to try that too. I will let the test run longer (i.e. let it lay around in the edge of the woods) and see if the Break Free dies.

Black Jack

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
WD40 is a light machine oil in an evaporative water-displacing medium. Great for right after cleaning to penetrate and protect from any lingering moisture. For long storage, follow up with a heavier oil of your choice.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »
Sydney - from where does one aquire Eezox?

Some guys I know in the modern gun things, use the big can Anti-Corrosion aerosols.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline sydney

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
HI Daryl---2 places i know of but hopefully the new Wholesale Sports in town
              E bay
              Ballistic Services
              Ballisticservice@eastlink,ca
              Sydney

Offline t.caster

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »
Has anyone tried FOGGING OIL sold in the hardwares & automotive stores to spray in spark plug hole for winter storage? Seems to provide a real good coating that lasts and lasts, but I have never tried it in or on a gun.
Tom C.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:24:10 PM »
 If any of this other stuff worked better, the U.S. military wouldn't use military grade Break-Free, after all, they don't give a !@*%&@, you're paying for it. Which by the way is a heavier bodied version ( like the chain and cable lube) of the stuff you get a Walmart.

Hungry Horse

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »
I use RIG as a patch lube during hunting season with no problems.

Centershot

William Worth

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
Eezox has a web site.  I bought a gallon.

I try to be careful with it though in the confines of my basement where the plesant aroma of solvent fumes saturating my central nervous system is a siren's song.

Another goop to add to the good stuff list is "Fluid Film".  In one of my experiments, I daubed some on a wheel barrow axle and set it to spinning.  It was amazing how long it coasted.  And on a threaded quick link that stays out on a gate in the weather, it was still liquid a year later.  A quick link submerged in a stock trough with some pretty agressive water was still intact after the rest of the link has corroded away.  I could still unscrew the link by hand and the rest of the link was mostly gone.  It does a remarkable job of both corrosion protection and lubricating and is user friendly.  

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 04:48:17 AM »
J.

Thanks for your efforts and sharing them with us.  After shooting, I clean with luke warm water, dry patches, then flush and coat with Birchwood Casey's Barricade.  I was hoping to see Barricade (formerly named Sheath) in your experiment.  Thanks again.

-Ron
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:49:40 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 05:16:04 AM »
Nice test and thanks for your time and effort.  :)

My dad used RIG on all of his weapons as far back as I remember ( I'm 58 ). I continued the tradition and also use CLP for parts that need just an oil type lube. After every trip to the range or woods I use RIG in the barrels of my MLs after cleaning with excellent results.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Dancy

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
Ran a second test, see the modified original post if interested. Tried 18 more lubes/oils/waxes.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Rust Prevention Gun Lube Test - 2nd Test Added
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 12:34:15 AM »
I've had great luck with Barricade and that's what I've been using for a good while, now.  Finally I decided to give Break Free a try, I've had a can of it sitting around for months, and it does seem to work just fine.  My BP guns never are subjected to long term storage; they all get exercised during the year.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Dancy

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 01:01:17 AM »
I wanted to try Break Free collector, but didn't find it locally. Regular BF tested well, but I hear mixed results from users. I'm thinking the Collector version might hang around longer for better performance.

Black Jack

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 03:46:34 AM »
Thanks for the update and additional testing. You conducted your testing in a very comprehensive, organized and logical manner and it produced a lot of practical and useful information in its results. Thanks again. 

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »
BREAKFREE (CLP)- the US Army's solution to cleaning, lubing, protecting weapons from handguns to howitzers never fails!  Think of all the time you could have been shooting instead of photographing rust and buying snake oil!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Dancy

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
Come on now, you don't think I stood around watching the rust grow do ya? Taught my son the fine art of fleshing out a groundhog hide while we waited...and some shooting too! He quickly figured out it was work!

Hope to make a good hunt'n pouch out of it, sure is tough stuff!