Author Topic: RCA 19  (Read 15483 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: RCA 19
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 04:02:01 AM »
I think you will enjoy the exhibit if you get a chance to see it.

No doubt!  There are few guns I'd rather see.
Andover, Vermont

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:31 AM »
I'm with RAT on this one. Since there is no way I'm going to make either of the venues mentioned I would humbly request that the information be shared with the rest of us once the display has run its course.  A video or better yet an article in MB would be sincerely appreciated. I would be happy just to hear the story.  Since looking at the pictures I have this nagging desire to shoulder the gun just to see how it feels. To my eye the butt area is somewhat heavy but I'll bet it comes up well.  Thanks, Jack

Tatonka

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »
I'm with RAT on this one. Since there is no way I'm going to make either of the venues mentioned I would humbly request that the information be shared with the rest of us once the display has run its course.  A video or better yet an article in MB would be sincerely appreciated. I would be happy just to hear the story.  Since looking at the pictures I have this nagging desire to shoulder the gun just to see how it feels. To my eye the butt area is somewhat heavy but I'll bet it comes up well.  Thanks, Jack

I will make sure that the exhibit information will be made available on way or the other.  The gun feels good to me, hence my asking for a copy.  You could carry the gun through the woods with ease.  With most of these old guns, the butt is really much bulkier even than it appears in the photos, but surprisingly, unlike many beautiful later guns which have thinner butts, still feels balanced.  I suppose I also would prefer heavy in the butt than heavy in the barrel.

ETA: email me and let me know where you are located.  Maybe you can handle the gun at some point if you make it anywhere near the east coast.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:42:32 PM by Tatonka »

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »
This is great stuff! I am looking forward to more details being able to be released once the exhibit is open.

In "Moravian Gun Making", there are several mentions of Albrecht stocking guns for the Indians, including stocking one for "the big Shawanos" (Shawnee). Maybe...........

It is very cool that these details are still coming to light after all this time has passed.  Kudos to all of you that have the ability to make these connections.

Bob Mac

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:52 PM »
Just curious, what Baltimore Show are you talking about? Maybe I missed something somewhere along the line.
Bob

Tatonka

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
Just curious, what Baltimore Show are you talking about? Maybe I missed something somewhere along the line.
Bob

MD Arms Collectors Assoc.

http://www.baltimoreshow.com/

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2013, 11:48:50 PM »
Yes you did  ;D  The Baltimore Antique Arms and Armor show.  March every year.
Timonium Fairgrounds.  1100+ tables
of nothing made after 1899.  Ya gotta go if ya aint never been there.  Tell em suzkat sent ya.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline spgordon

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:31 AM »
March?!? We need to wait until March 2014 to hear the details?!? Man ... where do I go to buy some patience?
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 02:32:21 AM »
hmmmph.  Well I was hoping you were involved, given your research ability and familiarity with the Moravian Archives.  Shoots that idea all to heck.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline spgordon

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 03:56:31 AM »
No, not involved ... though I'd be happy to be so!
Check out: The Lost Village of Christian's Spring
https://christiansbrunn.web.lehigh.edu/
And: The Earliest Moravian Work in the Mid-Atlantic: A Guide
https://www.moravianhistory.org/product-page/moravian-activity-in-the-mid-atlantic-guidebook

Bob Mac

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »
OK. Been to that show. Just making sure there wasn't a longrifle specific show that I hadn't heard about. Thanks
Bob