Author Topic: First Long Rifle  (Read 3932 times)

sleepwalker

First Long Rifle
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »
My brother gave me a Long rifle he found at a yard sale. I don't seem to be able to find much info on this particular style. All that is on the rifle is `made in Belgium' stamped on the top of the barrel and what appears to be an older style American Eagle w/ shield, arrows and laurel in talons. Overall length of rifle is about 68 in. w/ barrel length of 51 1/2 in. The size of the weapon is what has stymied me. I have seen smaller on the web but none this length. Anyone have any ideas ???

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: First Long Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.  Do you have any that can be posted.
iloco

sleepwalker

Correction
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »
I correct myself. After a moments thought, I should have posted 'my first FLINTLOCK' Long rifle as I have had a Hawkins for years. Belgium made- 68 in. overall, 51 1/2 in. bbl.(sorry)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
 The early Dixie squirrel rifles ( late fifties, and early sixties) were made in Belgium, and so marked. So were some guns imported by Century Arms. That would be my guess.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 10:17:31 PM »
  The barrel length and the Belgium origin could indicate that it's one of the "trade guns" that Stoeger imported.
                                    Dan

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
  The barrel length and the Belgium origin could indicate that it's one of the "trade guns" that Stoeger imported.
                                    Dan
Ditto. Sounds like a 1950's african trade gun made in Belgium.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?