Author Topic: Help me understand...  (Read 19473 times)

gizamo

Help me understand...
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:34:15 AM »
My attraction to this gunne.. ;D

Giz

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: Help me understand...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 02:41:18 AM »

Giz- It's simple. You are a hopeless gun nut--but you have excellent taste. Welcome to the club!
                                                               Dan

giz
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:42:08 AM by Dan'l 1946 »

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:01:04 AM »
Man that's a dandy !!! 2 in one blunderbuss & war club.  Plus that pot is alright it's self......I could use one a those.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:17:22 AM »
I like it.  Wish I had one just like it. 
Not many like it to be seen on forums or blogs.
iloco

gizamo

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »
I like it.  Wish I had one just like it. 
Not many like it to be seen on forums or blogs.

Ken Netting gun on the Blog...

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/06/ken-netting-canoe-gun.html?m=1

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
gizamo do you know if there are any makers who make one like yours for sale.  I like it because its different in that you don't see one everyday.

I can see why you are addicted to yours.
iloco

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 08:08:43 PM »
giz, did Ken Netting build yours?  I saw the one on the CLA blogspot mentioned above and knew that he is building them.  Seems there are others starting to build them, either for themselves or to sell.  I understand where you are coming from--there is just something novel (different) that we haven't seen much of before now--at least I haven't.  And I like them a lot !! Thanks for posting.

gizamo

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 12:19:49 AM »
Ken Netting?  I wish, next time...;D

I am actually super happy with mine. I like simple.  This gun sold at the Ancient Ones show this Winter.  George Sutton had it on his table.  It was made by Nolan.

Giz

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 04:51:15 PM »
 This is the muzzleloading equivalent to a spiked orange mohawk. Its eye catching, and interesting. But its useless, and without historical documentation. I have to see the usefulness of a new muzzleloader before I purchase it. This doesn't fit in any category I can think of. I try to stay away from anything that is likely to produce serious recoil, that also has a blade on the operators end.

Hungry Horse

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:38 PM »
gizamo, I've never seen a gun like that. What are those three, brass looking studs standing proud on the comb?
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »
^^^^^^

Skull Crushers!  ;D

That's a cool looking gunne!

John
John Robbins

gizamo

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 12:41:35 AM »

In June, 1763, as a part of the larger Pontiac's War, a group of Ojibwa (some sources indicate that they were also joined by some Sauk), gathered outside of Fort Michilimackinac and started to play a game of lacrosse (baaga'adowe). A crowd quickly gathered to watch the fast-paced, spirited game. As the crowd watched the game, several women with guns under their blankets wandered into the fort. The lacrosse ball was sent soaring toward the gate and the Indian players followed it, and then rushed into the fort. Taking the guns from the women, the Indians quickly killed and/or captured the British soldiers. The French-Canadians at the Fort were not molested.

The Indians held onto the fort for a year before the British regained it. In regaining the fort, the British promised to offer more and better gifts to the Indians.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 01:09:46 AM »
That thing is actually finished nicely, not really sure what it is.  Sure hope he didn't waste a good lock on it.  Might be good
for shooting on New Years eve, or starting races...........Don

gizamo

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 02:09:53 AM »
It might have one of your barrels, cut off at the wedding band... ;D ;D ;D

Offline PPatch

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 03:16:35 AM »
Heck, I'd rather have a gunne like that than a pistol. It's beautiful, make a good canoe gunne.
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 05:11:08 AM »
Yep, I'll bet you could kill a lot of those dastardly canoes with one of those...
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 05:53:22 AM »
Nah, Use it for water-fowl, better yet, alligators and snakes!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »
Brings to mind those pistol-knife-brass knuckles devices. I have a couple of Swiss army knives that seemed like a good idea at the time too.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline PPatch

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »
Yep, I'll bet you could kill a lot of those dastardly canoes with one of those...

Well Mike I was thinking more along the line of when those suicide rabbits got after Jimmy Carter that time. But, yeah, you never know when a canoe will turn on ya.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

gizamo

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 08:53:05 PM »
Which type blanket would be period correct to hide such a gun...whilst out hunting canoes? ;D

Offline RAT

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 05:42:18 PM »
I wasn't paying attention at first, but just noticed... is that a blade sticking out the bottom near the toe?

Bob

gizamo

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »
Yes,

Triangular shaped....but square edged.

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 03:44:39 PM »
I remember seeing these guns at Friendship in the late 70's/early 80's, and as a teenager I thought they were really, really cool.  Now Friendship documentation on these was that there was one of these dug up from an Indian grave, but no one could ever produce a name of who the current owner or the digger were........

So fast forward to early 2010 and there was a discussion about this type of gun on another, frontier oriented discussion board ;D, and someone said that in fact the original was in the Smithsonian.  For many that simple statement is enough.  But being the person that I am, I tracked down the names and telephone numbers of the Smithsonian curators who might have an artifact of this type in their collections.  I spoke with a number of folks there, and lo and behold there is a gun of this type there, but it was donated anonymously , and after testing was determined to have been made in the late 20th Century :o

Offline Kermit

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 06:13:51 PM »
Uh huh. There you go. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

gizamo

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »
I remember seeing these guns at Friendship in the late 70's/early 80's, and as a teenager I thought they were really, really cool.  Now Friendship documentation on these was that there was one of these dug up from an Indian grave, but no one could ever produce a name of who the current owner or the digger were........

So fast forward to early 2010 and there was a discussion about this type of gun on another, frontier oriented discussion board ;D, and someone said that in fact the original was in the Smithsonian.  For many that simple statement is enough.  But being the person that I am, I tracked down the names and telephone numbers of the Smithsonian curators who might have an artifact of this type in their collections.  I spoke with a number of folks there, and lo and behold there is a gun of this type there, but it ;D was donated anonymously , and after testing was determined to have been made in the late 20th Century :o

Luke....

That seals the deal for me!

It is the perfect backup gun for my Canoe Gun... ;D ;D