Author Topic: Help me understand...  (Read 19398 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Help me understand...
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 01:53:32 AM »
Giz, you are a sick puppy, that's why you like that gun ;) welcome to the club! :o
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
so these are complete fantasy guns? 

neat fantasy.

_ken netting_ from blog:
Hold to the Wind

Offline PPatch

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »
No, not at all Wade... as mentioned one is in the Smithsonian collection and one was dug up from an indian grave somewhere at some time by someone who never reported the find at Friendship. Make one of those and put it under a blanket in your canoe, if the canoe gets cranky shoot that sucker in the bow, or the stern, how about somewhere below the waterline then.

Its a win win win situation.  8)

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Three balls

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
I want one.......But durn I'd hate to shoot my canoe.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
 If you are going to make a blanket gun that might have been, way back when, then why not make the stock a ball head war club, instead of putting cutting edges, and very snag likely studs in the butt. The gun shown is ridiculous. IMO, of course.

Hungry Horse

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
Luke's post above says that the Smithsonian gun was a Contemporary as i read it.

But anyway.

Well, I'd like a big pistol...why not a shrunken smoothie?  It'd be for close quarters, faster than a reload and yes, smoothed down to be less dangerous to my posse (of k9's).

But i have more conventional things to focus on for a while... ::)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »
The ones I see pictured here are pure fantasy as near as I can tell.
There are a lot of cut off trade guns, either from the need to hide them or the barrel bursting.
There is/was one in the Museum at Mammoth in YNP that is cut off just behind the break of the comb and the barrel maybe 12". Still has its rear barrel sight. But it looks little like those shown here.
People invent a wide range of things that turn up at various "Rondevoos" and re-enactments then try to justify them to a time period. Many are of little practical use this encompasses a lot of things that people make because the look cool but if they had to actually USE them they would be found wanting in one way or another be is a knife or a firearm or whatever.
Pistols with barrels over about 8-9" are just a PITA from my perspective. Under 6-7 they loose a lot of velocity.
There were long barreled "bear pistols" used to hunt bears with dogs in the southeast I am told 10-12" or so. Much easier to handle than a rifle with the dogs and the range was short.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2013, 05:28:39 AM »
an aside y'all

Yes Dan, if i can't do it with 6 inches of bbl, it likely can't be done (inside of 35 yards).  and sometimes they just makes what they think might sell.  ;)  If i do one like that, it'll be a compilation of scraps.  cheers
Hold to the Wind

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2015, 08:02:04 PM »
A friend of mine found this at the Las Vegas gun show and brought it back to Va.
 I traded him out of it.
I would like to know how many of these guns were built by Ken.
Great conversation piece.  I have no idea what one of these guns would be worth.  I guess what a person is willing to give.

iloco

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »
 About four bucks, cash money. IMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 09:17:40 PM »
I like it simply because it's weird.  I've visited several museums and odd stuff like this is often displayed.  As an 18th century fighting weapon, you only have one shot; but the club part never runs out of ammo.  I can visualize an Indian or even a frontiersman picking up a broken gun and making a war club from it.  Maybe later he figures a lock and barrel would make it perfect.  Problem is, when one swings the club the muzzle is pointed....guess where?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »
 If you think about how many antique guns you have seen with a broken stock, usually at the wrist, it becomes quite apparent that guns usually make a pretty poor club. One should also take into consideration what the likelihood would be of these frontiersmen having the skills, or tools, to fit up a gun from just random parts. I think although examples of weird weaponry exist, we only have the age of the original gun to supply the approximate time period. I suspect many of these oddball weapons were generated many, many, years after the rifle was made, and possibly even into the twentieth century. few of these weapons show the kind of war damage one would expect.

Hungry Horse

JRMack

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 07:28:46 PM »
Thinking back, these were great! Unlike the old westerns when your six shooter ran out you would have to throw it at the bad guy. When Black Bart giggled at you after missing him with your one shot from one of these, you could beat him in a fight with your 14" reach advantage:)

Offline retired fella

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2015, 02:28:18 AM »
JRmack
If you remember back in the 1950's being period correct you could get maybe 12 shots out of your 6 shooter.  Never seemed to run out of bullets.

Offline Belleville

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »
Luke,

Thanks for researching and providing the info on the origin of this type of weapon. I have wondered about it ever since I first saw one. Seems relatively safe now to remove it from the "bucket list".

Doc S.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 05:58:54 PM »
Iloco,
Ken has built a number of these "toys" and they show up for sale periodically. The first one was on a lark and when people saw it they had to have one. I don't know that he's built any for a while or that he has any in the shop.
Mark
Mark

Offline whitebear

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 05:43:47 AM »
I like it simply because it's weird.  I've visited several museums and odd stuff like this is often displayed.  As an 18th century fighting weapon, you only have one shot; but the club part never runs out of ammo.  I can visualize an Indian or even a frontiersman picking up a broken gun and making a war club from it.  Maybe later he figures a lock and barrel would make it perfect.  Problem is, when one swings the club the muzzle is pointed....guess where?

I know that everyone doesn't fit into this pattern but usually the gun would be fired before using it as a club.  If the enemy is close enough to need a club what have you got to loose.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 04:31:33 AM »
Yes this gun an canine guns are say not historically correct. But how many of us at a rendezvous has been aproased by an been told one or two of our items are not correct. All the there telling us. Their wearing there wrist watches an tennis shoes.Go figure!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2015, 05:10:54 AM »
Got to admit it might not be historically correct. But it is neat as h..l.One thing about it like my canoe gun. The deer an grouse don't know it's not correct when they go in the stew pot!