Author Topic: Contemporay Builder "Branstetter"  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Mike New

Contemporay Builder "Branstetter"
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:27:43 PM »
Gentlemen,  Has anyone heard of or seen rifles built by a man with the last name of Branstetter?  I have a chance to purchase one and the workmanship is very good. The rifle was built in the late 70's. The rifle has a .40 Douglas with a small Siler, double set triggers.  I am guessing but I would say he was from the Western Kentucky. Southern Illinois, South East Missouri area. Thanks in advance, Mike New

Offline Don Stith

Re: Contemporay Builder "Branstetter"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:22:53 AM »
Really stretching my old memory, but seems like there was a Larry Branstetter that would display his wares at Fort deChartres at the rendezvous back in the early 70's. I am thinking of a fantastic Jaeger he had there one year.
 Maybe that is enough to trigger a recollection in another old timer

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 05:47:28 AM »
Gentlemen,  Has anyone heard of or seen rifles built by a man with the last name of Branstetter?  I have a chance to purchase one and the workmanship is very good. The rifle was built in the late 70's. The rifle has a .40 Douglas with a small Siler, double set triggers.  I am guessing but I would say he was from the Western Kentucky. Southern Illinois, South East Missouri area. Thanks in advance, Mike New

Larry was from Western KY.  Joe Keesler and Sid Jobs were a couple of his buddies. He also made some vey fine knives. Excellent workmanship. My records show that he passed away in 1981

Offline Mike New

Re: Contemporary Builder "Branstetter"
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:35:13 AM »
 Thank you Mr. Stith and Mr. Wallingford. I believe that this is the man that built the rifle. I also remember Mr Joe Keesler was mentioned in the conversation. Thanks again, Mike New

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
I have one of Keeslers patch knifes somewhere
 It has a vent pick and pan whisk that came with it. Sorry to hear of Larrys passing. Doesn't seem like he was any older than me.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
I have several of Joe Keesler's knives, also saw Joe at the CLA show two years ago.   Still wears that old Marine cap, great
guy...........Don