Author Topic: John Ennis  (Read 10858 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
John Ennis
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »
I continually astonished at the rifles I see by contemporary makers of extremely high quality from
names I've never seen before.  The John Ennis rifle in the Blog is outstanding.  Where is he from?
His name is not on the list of artisans on CLA and I've never seen him at a show.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:49:33 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: John Ennis
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »
John is a resident of Idaho, formerly of Simi Valley, CA. He both builds, and restores rifles and in my opinion, there is no one better in either category. Ennis has been doing this for most of his life and he is known in the west. Guess that he is close to sixty now and his work just gets better and better.
Dick

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »
Interesting that he chose a huntington rifle for his first build. I wonder if his roots are from back east. I've not seen many huntington contemporarys.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »
i think he makes more spurs than rifles
but is great at both
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »
Amazing. I am blown away by all the fine details.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
Pretty impressive work!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 05:15:20 PM »
I don't know if you read the text or not, but he has been working on that rifle since 1964,  adding and replacing things as his skills improved.   

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:17:43 PM »
50 years of refinement.  I wonder why he's so passionate about this particular rifle.  Not being familiar
enough to comment, I wonder if the rifle is a recreation of a particular maker or his own vision.  Maybe
Dr. Whisker could comment on this.

Offline art riser

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 08:23:50 PM »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:07:37 PM »
He also built a really killer Brown Bess if my memory serves me right.
David

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »
I had to click on Art's blog site.   Some nice Ennis work.   I checked out the skeletonized butt plate with the checkered portions
of wood.  I have a friend that bought a custom bolt action rifle that also had a skeletonized but plate, the only difference was
the checkered wood portions.   When you look at the one on the blog site, the checkering runs out to the steel butt plate.  My  friends gun also has those checkered portions of wood, but, it has about a 1/32" band of uncheckered around all of the edges.  How difficult could that be??????........Don

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 04:24:12 AM »
I know this word gets thrown around a lot but it is the first word that comes up in my old gray matter....Masterpiece. Wow pure beauty and elegance!   
Joel Hall

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 06:01:40 AM »
Robert Weil has been sending me pics of John Ennis' work for years now.  He is very definitely working in the realm of guys like John Bivins, Monte Mandarino, Jerry Huddleston etc.  and in fact most of what I've seen is simply untouchable.  Just wild, wild stuff.  Don't know how else to put it.  Frankly, I'm shocked to see posts here wondering who he is, genuinely shocked, because I've just assumed EVERYONE knows who he is.  Not just new made stuff either; his restorations are of the "wow this is completely original" kind.  As in f-ing scary.  I've never met him, but this guy is undeniably in a class all his own.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 07:16:14 AM »
Thanks Eric, you stated the case for John's work very well. Rob, this is not his only build; he has done many others over the years. Not sure why he waited so long to complete this one, but it is my supposition that he was doing work for other people and just let this one sit. Not even sure that this really was his first. The man is just phenomenal in his talents and besides all of this, he likes WW II Jeeps. That raises him to new heights in my opinion.
Dick

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:05:12 AM »
Several years ago, I saw John's name in a video and found out he lived just around the corner from me here in Southern California.  I went to see him and he showed me some original guns he was working on and one he had recently built for a customer.  I also saw spurs, banjoes, powder horns, etc., etc......all just unbelievable in their craftsmanship and detail.  I was excited to have someone so close to home who I could just watch work and learn from.  Unfortunately, my first meeting with John was my last as he moved away to Idaho very shortly after we met the first time.

Nonetheless, John Ennis is the fellow who's engraving I would most like to emulate, but do not yet have anything like his design skill.  Here are a few pictures of the rifle he showed me that day we met.  Absolutely incredible in design and execution.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:39:52 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
Wonderful!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 09:28:41 PM »
That kind of talent and skill in someone else is enough to make you want to give up. ;)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »
I know what you mean, Mark, but it doesn't do that to me.  What it instills in me is that in order to take a rifle to the next level, you have to get past the feeling that it's done, when it is not.  John's work is truly inspirational.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

jennis70

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 02:14:15 AM »
In regards to the Somerset/Huntington Rifle...I always had a love for the long slick gingerbread rifles out of the pre 1830-50's and even post of that time too. I built this rifle between 1963-64 with a 44" 32cal. 13/16" Numerick barrel. It originally had a Dixie Gunworks flinklock. It had a moon cheekpiece inlay, thumbpiece, heart on either side of the wrist and oval inlays along the forestock for the barrel retaining pins. It had no engraving. The bone inlay on the underside of the butt has the original hen scratching. I used the rifle all the time until I got out of the service in 1970. About 1974 I was able to start to learn engraving due to the publication of James Meeks book "The Art of Engraving" and I proceeded to apply what I had learned using this rifle as a canvas. Also at that time I made a new percussion lock for it which had no engraving until recently. My first engraving was on the ramrod entry pipe, buttplate, patchbox, toe plate, script on the barrel, cheek inlay, the hearts on the wrist and the ovals on the forend. This last year I did what I always wanted to do to this rifle and complete the vision I had as a kid and was unable to do then. I engraved the lock. Inlayed and engraved the comb plate, forarm plate, breech tang and the remainder of the silver inlays. I re-did the carving at the end of the comb and the molding lines on the forarm. I engraved the lock in the Baltimore-English style. There is a little of the old and a little of the new and the rifle is a combined history of my growth. As a child I always wanted to be a gunsmith and had a deep love for antique rifles and Kentucky rifles in particular. I had a coonskin cap that I wore from the age of three until it fell apart in the Davy Crockett (Disney) era. My fondness for this rifle spans more then 50 years hence it holds for me many memories and dreams accomplished. Thank you for all your kind compliments and encouragement.  

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 02:41:04 AM »
I can't thank you enough for sharing that with us John. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:14:03 PM by Shreckmeister »

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »
The history makes it even better.  No small feat!  ;D

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »
Absolutely superb engraving !!! And I can't even scratch my name on the barrel, yet.  Maybe someday and after seeing John's work, it will be far in the future.  Congratulations on a work of love that  lasted over 50 years.  Gorgeous piece !!

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
Thank you Mr. Ennis,
After scrolling through those photos, I pulled out the graver, chisel & hammer. Seeing work like yours is encouraging and inspirational. I still fumble daily with how to get the designs on, either transferred or drawn on the piece with enough detail to actually see it while engraving it. I can really use some help in that department. Getting the design on - what ever, be it paper, plastic then on to the piece to be engraved. I certainly cannot draw on the micro level.
Darrin McDonal
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »
Darrin,  I could be wrong, but I don't think he draws out the fine details and then engraves them.
I think the larger details may be drawn out and the fine work added like an artist paints a picture.
I would be interested in hearing from someone of that ability level as to how it is done.  I could be
very wrong.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 11:16:07 PM »
This might be a very good topic for folks to show step by step their methods.
By the way, does anybody know where to get that clear transparency plastic sheet stuff without having to sign over your first born. Last time I saw some my jaw hit the floor at the price. I think that might work for doing the mirror image transfer.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks