Author Topic: TVM Late Lancaster  (Read 7299 times)

Offline Snakebite

TVM Late Lancaster
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:53:10 AM »
I have a TVM Late Lancaster in the works. .54, swamped barrel. I'd like to hear your opinions on the rifles TVM makes. I've heard pretty good stuff from other sources, would like to hear some from here.

Thanks

Offline bob in the woods

Re: TVM Late Lancaster
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:20:54 AM »
I started out with a couple of kits from TVM about 25 years ago. Jack Garner was the man in charge and I liked doing business with him.  The guns were pretty generic as far as styles go.  They build them as nice looking , good working guns. Not necessarily historically correct in style or construction. So, it really depends on what you expect .   If you want a more authentic piece, there are other semi-production kits/guns out there for a bit more $.   Some folks refer to their guns as the " Corinth , Miss. school "  in the same vain as the " Woodbury school"
As I learned more from studying original guns, and talking to others, I questioned TVM about a couple of points re their methods etc. The response was " well, that's the way we do it "  Nothing wrong with that if you know up front what you are getting, or don't know and don't care.  You will get a good working, nice looking gun.
My take on it- others may differ  :)

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
There have been many discussions here about TVM, some quite recently.  Likely a quick search using the filter to select post under the contemporary longrifle collecting by unchecking the "check all" box under choose a board to search.

You may find 'em informative....even entertaining, as some of them have gotten quite heated.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »
Go over to muzzleloading.com and ask. You'll get nothing but positive remarks. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:16:00 AM »
Go over to muzzleloading.com and ask. You'll get nothing but positive remarks. ;)
You heretic! ;)
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline TPH

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »

Vilontly positive at times...... ::)
T.P. Hern

gizamo

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »
I'd like to hear your opinions on the rifles TVM makes.

Opinions count for nothing because everyone has one.  They" are what they" are in the niche market they sell to.  They use the same quality, commercially available parts that every other gunmaker uses, so the question becomes one of correctness and aesthetics.

I find opinion questions to be stupid because they never, nor can they, resolve anything.  If I like something, I buy it or make it.  I could care less what anyone else thinks.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
Understand that there are some who, for reasons of their own,  simply "hate" TVM.  This goes way beyond any problem of quality and borders on envy.  Their "default" guns are the least expensive and are built without necessarily addressing historical authenticity.  These are still fine guns and their after purchase service is second to none.

I own 5 of Matt's long guns and specified they be built a certain way with my choice of parts.  If you've done your research and give all your requirements, etc, to Matt; he can build guns as HC/PC as anyone and has done this quite a bit.  I own guns by other builders and can verify TVM is the real deal. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

dbraw

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 12:23:32 AM »
I visited TVM a few weeks ago and they inlet a swamped barrel for me while I waited. Took about an hour. Drilled the ramrod hole also. Saved me days of work. Cost $60. Such a deal.
Dan

gizamo

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 12:45:13 AM »
The folks over at 2x4.com seem to give positive reviews...

Just kidding.... ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:46:09 AM by gizamo »

Offline Snakebite

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 05:07:37 AM »
I'd like to hear your opinions on the rifles TVM makes.

Opinions count for nothing because everyone has one.  They" are what they" are in the niche market they sell to.  They use the same quality, commercially available parts that every other gunmaker uses, so the question becomes one of correctness and aesthetics.

I find opinion questions to be stupid because they never, nor can they, resolve anything.  If I like something, I buy it or make it.  I could care less what anyone else thinks.

I'm kind of curious why you even replied since you don't care what anyone thinks. (other than you I guess) I simply asked to find out what other people thought. I've never seen held or seen one of their guns so I asked.

I have two other custom rifles but I wanted a gun with a swamped barrel and a style which would fit what I'm looking for. I actually corresponded with Homer Dangler first and really considered having him build me a rifle after he offered. Due to reasons I won't go into, I declined.

Bottom line is that I have already contracted with TVM, so it doesn't matter what you have to say. I've talked to some people who have their rifles and except for TOF I've had pretty good responses on this and another forum as to TVM's quality and workmanship.   

And to be truthful, I'm the only one who can determine the quality or stupidity of the replies I've received, since I asked the question. And for me, most have a quality.

Thanks.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
Bottom line is that I have already contracted with TVM, so it doesn't matter what you have to say. I've talked to some people who have their rifles and except for TOF I've had pretty good responses on this and another forum as to TVM's quality and workmanship.

I guess you really didn't read and understand what I said.  There is absolutely nothing negative in my reply about TVM.  I simply stated the facts as they are.  I have been friends with them for years.  They are an excellent company who builds quality guns using quality parts.  There has been considerable TVM bashing over the years here until an end was put to it.  Hence the innuendos of comments on other forums.  You contracted them to build the gun you want.   They will and you will be happy with it.  What else matters, including any opinions others may have?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

nosrettap1958

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
Yes, I agree Snakebit but here on this forum, as opposed to other forums and boards, you have a big accumulation of very highly skilled custom builders that see the TVM from a differing perspective then we do or can. When we can build a rifle as well as some of these guys can then we too will see the TVM product from that same angle.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:36:19 PM by crawdad »

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 05:49:48 PM »
Snakebite
Before I lock this topic let me say this.It is unlikely that you can get a clear opinion on a TVM or similar gun here as we forbid the open bashing of vendors here on the site.This is because passions on this subject runs high and the discussion always degrades to ugliness.TVM and similar builders build an entry level firearm often for a price barely above the cost of parts.Because they work on such small profit margins their methods and speed in building don't allow them to get many small details correct that many of us consider essential for a firearm to be correct for a particular time and school.By the same token if they use quality parts(sometimes they do ,sometimes they don't)you will get a perfectly serviceable generic flintlock that will serve you well for many years.Enjoy your rifle.

Mitch Yates