Author Topic: Jim Tawney  (Read 3473 times)

Uncle Alvah

Jim Tawney
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:08:19 AM »
These are pictures of a Longrifle I owned some years ago, and the main reason I want to build one now, but certainly nothing on this scale! I foolishly sold the gun back in 1986.  The man who owns it now is a friend, and he's looking to part with it, but I have not figured out how to finance it....yet!

It was built by Jim Tawney from Corning NY, .45 caliber, 13/16 Bill Large barrel, Bob Roller lock and trigger.

This is my daughter Meaghan holding the rifle. She is 34 now....sigh...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:30:09 PM by Uncle Alvah »

Uncle Alvah

Re: Jim Tawney
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
Apparently Mr. Tawney is pretty much an unknown, or least obscure, builder?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:18:41 AM »
Jim Tawney was a hobby builder from Corning,NY and worked at Corning glass
that made glass pots and other items that could be used for cooking.
I made a number of locks and triggers for him.I don't think he ever advertised
in a magazine.
I think he passed away several years ago.

Bob Roller

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:10:32 AM »
He did indeed pass in the early 90's.
You and I had a phone conversation about this rifle many years ago, about 1984 or so. Time slides by quickly. The good Lord willing, I'll own, and shoot, this rifle again!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:14:06 AM by Uncle Alvah »

BIGMAN

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »
That is a gorgeous rifle. Hope you get it back.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »
Maybe your friend would let you pay monthly until the rifle is paid off.  My friend Doug bought one from
Lloyd Norris on those terms, he would stop every  payday and give Lloyd what he could.  Lloyd was an excellent builder and finally one payday Lloyd told Doug.  It's time for you to take it home.  Wish I had a picture of it.  Doug was in his early twenties at the time.  Lloyd is since gone.  Lloyd made 7 fantastic fully functioning miniature longrifles.  His son has reacquired 6 of them and hopes to get the 7th back some day.
I will try to get a photo of one of Lloyd's full size Kentuckies to post.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Uncle Alvah

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 03:30:47 AM »
  Maybe your friend would let you pay monthly until the rifle is paid off.   

Well heres the straight skivvy. Might sound like BS but its true. The rifle is not technically "for sale", my friend is only interested in trading me "stuff" for it. He's been that way as long as I've known him, its just something he enjoys. I wanted a pump .22 he had years ago and it was that way then, I swapped him a bunch of miscellaneous shooting stuff for it, a powder horn, leather pouch, stuff like that. He had an anvil I wanted one time as well, and I parted with a collectible knife for that. Obviously this is on a whole 'nuther level, and what in the world I could come up with to trade I have no idea. I do have 1966 Kenworth that is restore-able, and the Detroit motor will fire right off  but we are 600 miles apart, an obvious deal breaker on that. None the less, I am an optimist through-and-through and if theres a way to get it, I'll figure it out, good Lord willing!