Author Topic: D. Young of Easton?  (Read 7946 times)

eddillon

D. Young of Easton?
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
Does any one out there know anything about a maker named D. Young?  On pages 394 and 395 of Chandler's Patchboxes there are two D. Young rifles.  I find a Daniel and a David Young in some Easton, Northampton County church records.  I believe I may have an unmarked D. Young.  Are there some better pictures of the rifles shown in Patchboxes?  Patchbox book pix are not quite clear enough for me to definitively match the engraving.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 03:33:28 AM by eddillon »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: D. Young
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 10:45:51 PM »
PM Me your email and I will share photos of signed Young rifle from Easton, I think it is signed
Jacob Young which might have been their father.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:46:08 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »
PM sent.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »
OK Ed, I would sure like to see the rest of your rifle! Something about those Easton area longrifles has me mezmarized!
Joel Hall

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 01:16:40 AM »
Ask and you shall receive. ;D  It was originally a flintlock.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:25:54 AM by eddillon »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: D. Young of Easton?
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
There was a pretty huge pile of Youngs in the Easton and Plainfield twp. area of Northampton Co.  They were of German origin, the name originally being Jung before being Anglicized to Yung or Young.  It appears that the original immigrants were Henry Jung and a brother, I believe, John Peter or Peter.  They were also early settlers in Easton/Easton area prior to the Revolution.  Certainly by the late 1750s when they begin to pop up in church records as well as some other records iirc.  The family was VERY fond of the names John, Jacob, David and Peter and there are a LOT of multiple generations with the same names which will drive anyone trying to research them nuts.  A number of them seem to have been gunsmiths as I've seen John Young, J. Young, Peter Young and David Young signed rifles and they all have this vague eastern NH Co. look, like yours.  Most of them are later pieces, also like yours.  Despite various speculation that Henry Jung was a gunsmith, I've not found anything concrete to pin that title on him as he was always referenced as a locksmith.  Thus far, the most magnificent Young rifles seem to have been made ca. 1790s-1810 era by John Jr., son of John Sr. and Henry Jung's grandson.  Not clear at all on who may have taught all these guys, though.

Just some random thoughts since the Youngs came up.   :P
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 04:06:04 PM by Eric Kettenburg »
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

eddillon

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 07:32:31 PM »
Thanks for your input, Eric.  Still hoping someone here has some clear photos of D. Young engraving.
Ed

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »
Here is a picture of a cheek piece inlay from a rifle signed J Young in block letters. I will see if I can find other photos of rifle.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 01:27:09 AM »
Ed,
I was at a the Prairie show this weekend and a fellow from Iowa was eye balling my Young, he mentioned that he had a signed D Young. He was going to try to send pictures when he had a chance, I will forward them onto to you when I receive them. Eric is right there must be 40 or so Young's listed in Sellers, Jacob, John Jr., Daniel and William fit the time frame and area. Ed, I am pretty sure ours are from the same hand or same shop.
Buck 

eddillon

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 01:40:54 AM »
I absolutely agree that the same hand engraved both.  Looking forward to pix.  The two D Youngs on 394 and 395 of Chandler's patchbox book appear to have the same engraving hand as your's and mine.  Problem is the quality of the photos is not very good.  Have you looked at the book?

eddillon

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 06:59:06 AM »
Here is a picture of a cheek piece inlay from a rifle signed J Young in block letters. I will see if I can find other photos of rifle.

Any other pix yet?  I see similarities in the engraving but, not as convincing as Buck's.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
Thank you Ed for showing the additional pictures of your fine longrifle! I hope you learn all you can about this maker.
Joel Hall

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »
There is a signed Henry Young rifle shown in " Behold The Long Rifle'. The same gun is also pictured in both the old K.R.A. books.
JIM

Offline Buck

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 04:19:03 PM »
Jim,
Isn't that one pretty similar to yours?
Buck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
Yes Buck, Mine has a lot of similarities to that rifle. I think Henry died in the 1790's . I don't believe mine is quite that early.
Eric is right . The Young's of Easton are hard to get a handle on. There was a bunch of them. Of course they didn't give any thought to us  or they would of had the decency to sign all there work. Perhaps like several other gunsmiths they shared some work with each other.
JIM
JIM

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »

Offline Buck

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »
Avlrc,
Great rifle, thanks for sharing. Ed the architecture of this rifle is extremely different.
Buck

eddillon

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
Avlrc,
Thanks for the post of the J. Young.  As Buck said, different architecture.  Mine doesn't have a straight line from the breech to the buttplate.  The nose of the comb is much more pronounced on yours.  The differences steer me away from thinking J. Young.  Still hoping for better pix of the engraved patchboxes shown in Chandler's book on 394 and 395.

Offline cmick101

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2022, 02:16:07 AM »
I havecwhat I believe is a David Young rifle. It is and over/under swivel breech percussion. Compare my pics to yours and let me know what you think

suncoast center