Author Topic: Chunk Gun Caliber's - Revisited  (Read 21069 times)

dagner

Re: Chunk Gun Caliber's - Revisited
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2013, 08:00:09 AM »
  no a arms race every one is basicly shooting the same barrels- actions-cailbers - sights  and loads.they went to the heavier barrels for less gun movement .even when I started chunk a 12 lb 40 cal was  just wrong for shooting 60 yard chunk.i started  with a 40 cal underhamer 1 inch barrel .it was worthless as a competitive chunk gun even 20 years ago.sure you make a couple good shots then welcome to the 10 shot string.take a good look at all the old chunk guns. they were long big heavy rascals. the only difference now is most are 1/2 stocked you did the same thing I did. made a very bad decision on what you wanted instead of what a winning chunk gun is. I take part of that back about 15 years ago a couple places
 tried having 2 chunk classes  at the same time and they had a under 12 lb class it failed quickly.what it turned out was guys using their hunting rifles or the small bench rifle they set up for 50 yard club matches. the good part is don't let it bother you.you have fun shooting your light 40 flinter -do it.you want a competitive chunk gun that's a different story
dag

dagner

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2013, 08:26:02 AM »
dayrl  -we have chunk  -picnic table shoots and  the table shoot over at coons.darn  i am  going to build one of your plank deals and haul out to the club. looks like fun. thanks for pictures i see you are sort of kneeling any special rules on sitting etc or just any way we can get gun up their .since it is you game how do you like to keep score-range and target for the game  thanks dag

frontier gander

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »
love the covers, they really do help cut down the glare a lot. I need to rig something up for my hawken.