American Long Rifles Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 03:01:09 PM
Home Help Login Register
News:

View the Most Recent Posts
View the ALR Mission Statement
View ALR Rules and Policies
Donate to ALR via US Mail or PayPal

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  General discussion
| |-+  Black Powder Shooting
| | |-+  Target Shooting Training
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Target Shooting Training  (Read 1106 times)
Candle Snuffer

Traditional Muzzle Loading Powder, Patch & Ball

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 07:12:45 PM »

What don't you understand about finding a load your firearm likes that is the most accurate in your rifle?  This is the first step normally taken by all who shoot a muzzle loader.  It is conducted from the bench until you have shot the tightest group possible, (doesn't matter where that group is on paper), then after finding this load, you next make your sight adjustments.

You can not possibly work on any shooting mechanics until you've solved your zero.  Everyone knows this.  It's common sense. Wink

Bill-52

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »

Whoa, guys -- my fault.  I probably should have provided more background.  I have sighted in the one rifle I'm shooting now and worked up an acceptable load, ball & patch combination.  I'm now starting to shoot sitting & standing off hand at 100 yards.  I'm 61, so eyesight and steadiness are not as good as they once were.  Given those limitations, my query was intended to focus on what can I do in terms of personal training to be the best shooter I can.

I do appreciate the comments about patch & ball combination.  This barrel has less than 100 shots through it, so I've always considered the patch & ball combination subject to refinement as the barrel seasons and as I progress.

I really do appreciate the very thoughtful and insightful comments and suggestions.  It's been 40+ years since I've done any sort of target shooting.  The thought of just plinking away at targets is not appealing.  I prefer the challenge of working to improve my target shooting, not just via the rifle but also my personal performance.  Just my personality, I guess...

Bill
necchi

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 08:57:13 PM »

And there you have it Candle Snuffer my friend. No harm No foul  Wink

And possibly much to your surprise there is a lot a shooter can do to improve his shooting skills long before he has a rifle zeroed. Exercises done in the house with or without a rifle in your hands can be done to improve the shooters accuracy

Again, the rifle is the tool. Of course the rifle should be in top condition,, that includes being as accurate as it can be, (get it yet?)
An accurate rifle is one thing.
A skilled shooter is another.

The two are different. And both require different attention and action.

JohnT
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length