Author Topic: A. Ager  (Read 3066 times)

ottawa

A. Ager
« on: August 17, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
I have an A. Ager .32 cal Ohio rifle signed on the barrel but have not been able to find much out on him.
A. Ager (Alexander Ager) spelling? was a prolific maker . you had to order your rifle without varnish he liked to varnish them as the one I have shows . He delt with gain twist barrel's as a page from his log book shows . he made general to Fancy type rifles he would restock and shorten barrel's to extend his supply . the rifle I have has had the barrel shortened and restocked .he used commercial locks. He made rifles from around 1840s 50s to 1880s died around 1890 the rifle I have I believe is from 1860 to 1880s.
and yes as soon as I am able I will post pics of the rifle :) I have only seen 2 other rifles for sell and both were .32 cal .
any info would be helpfull this is my first origanal ML

Thanks Ben

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: A. Ager
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:52 PM »
Alexander Ager, born July 10 1821 & died Oct.1898. He made rifles in Harrison county Ohio. His father came here from Ireland in 1811. He taught school and music . His gun shop was on the family farm where he made guns from1848 to 1886.There is quite a bit of info on him in the Ohio book by Donald Hutslar Vol. 2 .  There is one gun pictured in that book. You might have better luck if you moved this post to the antique section.    JIM
JIM