Author Topic: Pictures of Frank Bartlett rifles  (Read 8583 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Pictures of Frank Bartlett rifles
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:41:55 AM »
These were taken this past weekend at the show in Alabama.

For those who did not know Frank he was a very good Gun Builder and Engraver as these pictures will show. Frank was a great person and a friend. He did not allow to many to come to his shop and let them watch him work. I was one of the lucky ones and I really appreciated the opportunity. Frank love to do wire inlay and was one of the best at it. There are a few rifles in these pictures that show just a little of what he could do, I have seen a few that would stand right up there with any that ever put wire in.

I put these on here for Tim Cosby from Alabama, I hope you enjoy them.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:43:34 AM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Pictures of Frank Bartlett rifles
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:05:34 AM »
I never got the pleasure of meeting him but heard of his work for a good many years. Now I know why I heard of his excellent work. WOW ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Joey R

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 04:26:20 AM »
He did exquisite wire work and always told great stories.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 03:42:44 PM »
Frank's son, Lynn,  brought his personal rifle.  It had 114 feet of wire in it.  Quite a piece.  
    With the number of rifles there(51) you should have seen the people taking pictures and videos with their cellphones.  :)    
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:45:45 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
Frank was definately one of a kind. The rifle with the star inlaid into the cheek rest is made from individual pieces of ebony and ivory, 33 pieces if I counted correctly. That is quite a task in itself, I remember Frank telling me of his doing this on a rifle but I had never seen it.
Jim Parker

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »
Bama, Thanks for the pictures, I really enjoyed looking at them. I have a question about the ebony and ivory star. Do you know the process he used to assemble and inlet that intricate design. I have done a couple and was wondering if my technique is or was commonly used. After making all my pieces I glued them to a very thin piece of copper foil, did some final filing and inlaid it as one piece. I'm planning another and though not quite a intricate as Mr. Bartlett's beautiful piece it will be a little more complex than what I have done to date. This is a picture of my first one. Thanks!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
I don't recall him saying exactly how he kept all the pieces together to place the inlay but I would think he probably did something similar to what you did. Nice looking rifle by the way.
Jim Parker

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 12:10:23 AM »
Thank you bama. I'm always interested in learning how other people do things, sometimes its just, reassuring.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 05:56:30 AM »
Jim tell me about Mr Frank Bartlett. The name is new to me and I would really like to know more about this fabulous artist.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:55 AM »
Mr. Frank was from Galanton  TN and was an avid builder and shooter. I first met Frank at one of our matches at the Magic City Gun Range in about 1988. He had brought a few rifles for sale and a few parts. He was always telling a tale of some kind and you could watch him smile as the crowd would grow so would his tales. Frank built rifles full time for a long time and I know that he built several hundred rifles but I don't know the exact number. If you look at the CLA show you will see his rifles on more than one table. There is one gentleman there that has one of Franks high end wire inlaid rifles on his table, not for sale, show only. I had one on my table, not for sale, show only and I think I saw about 3 more. The next one I see for sale will go home with me. Mr. Frank was a good shot and he knew how a rifle was supposed to Handel and function. All oh his rifles are shooters and I would not be afraid to put one of his rifles up against any in the country.

At his funeral the casket was closed. On top were two of his carved rifles crossed. In a rack beside the casket were several rifles on display beside a picture of Frank. You could tell that the family was proud of him and knew how he loved the long rifles. It was an honor to be there and it was an honor to call him my friend.

If you ever have the chance to get one of his rifles don't waste the opportunity because once people get them they don't turn them loose to often.
Jim Parker

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
Frannk was a good friend, I always enjoyed our conversations.   Frank was telling me how he and his wife went out thru the
woods looking for a big stepping stone for the front porch.   His wife pointed out what appeared to be a good stone, Frank
said no, that's won't work, it's "leverite"   His wife, I never heard of that.   Frank......you're going to "leave her right there"
Don

Offline EC121

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »
Frank built near 250 rifles.  He told me that after #250 he was going to put all his customers names in a hat, and the name that was drawn would get rifle #251 for free.  I don't know if he made it to #251.  If he did, my name wasn't the one drawn.  :(
Brice Stultz

Offline Jackie Brown

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:38:23 AM »
Frank was a dear friend.  He visited with me once to get ideas for a log home he was going to build and  He wanted to see mine.  He use a lot of the ebony and ivory star inlays.  They were made on a milling machine and glued together.  They were thick and were cut into several slices with a jewelers saw.  I owned one of Frank's Jaegers once.  He could make a gun feel like it belonged there.  He could tell a good yarn.  Anybody remember the one about cutting the mule up and giving everybody a piece of ass?

Offline Jackie Brown

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:20 AM »
BTW, I always wondered how somebody with hands the size of his could do such delicate wire work.