Author Topic: Longrifle schools of design  (Read 10628 times)

deerhunter308

Longrifle schools of design
« on: August 29, 2013, 04:02:24 AM »
First time post from a flintlock newbie....

I have been generously gifted with a beautiful flintlock. I have had it sitting in a corner for several months and I occasionally pick it up and admire it's wood and other features. I have become interested in the various schools that influence gun makers. Are there definitive characteristics that identify a gun as having been influenced by a particular school of design? I have scrounged the web and find lots of different schools mentioned but have yet to bump into a definitive description of each....I would kind of like to identify the school from which my piece is derived.

I'm not sure my love of longrifles will ever surpass my love of Winchesters but I do enjoy the one I have...

Sorry if this post duplicates a post from years ago.....thanks for your patience.

Offline b bogart

Re: Longrifle schools of design
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 04:16:42 AM »
Post a picture. Knowledgapeople will be able to tell you. 

deerhunter308

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 04:45:12 AM »
I'm not the smartest guy in the world sometimes....but I don't see a way to insert photos into a reply....

Am I missing something obvious?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:25:15 AM »
I'm not the smartest guy in the world sometimes....but I don't see a way to insert photos into a reply....

Am I missing something obvious?

Upload to photobucket.com then use the picture icon above the posting window to pu tthe photo on this siite.
There is a tutorial somewhere on the site. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
I use my email program to reduce the size then drag them to a file named photobucket then upload them to the site.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

deerhunter308

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »

deerhunter308

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:21:39 PM by deerhunter308 »

deerhunter308

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »

deerhunter308

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 04:23:02 PM »

deerhunter308

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »

deerhunter308

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 04:23:47 PM »

deerhunter308

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »

deerhunter308

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »

deerhunter308

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
It's a contemporary design piece incorporating a Bonewitz style patchbox.  The maker was not following a specific school closely.  Nicely made rifle and overall, a mix of some earlier and some later features.  The wide flattish buttplate and thicker but stock are earlier than the timeframe when a lot of inlays were used, and checkering appeared on Pennsylvania longrifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
Buy books. Probably most here have a giantish library that they have used to educate themselves. I doubt you can learn what you seek on the net.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
  Is it signed?
         Dan

deerhunter308

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »
Not that I can see

Dean2

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »
A very well laid out, and nicely finished rifle. Tasteful inlays, very good wood to metal fit, along with good quality checkering and engraving. It isn't related to s specific school or period but that is one fine rifle to be proud of owning.

If you really get into them there is a lot of good info available that will walk you through the early to late Flintlock period. Simple form is it started with the German influenced style, as many of the gun makers in the new world were trained in Germany. So think Yeager, shortish overall, larger caliber, sometimes smooth bored, blocky, thick butt stock and then evolved from there into what we commonly call the American long rifle. As much as three times longer overall, much finer lines and curves, far more delicate looking. At least early tended to be smaller caliber to use less powder and lead. Many of the remaining originals are truly beautiful in their form and architecture.

To learn all of the ins and outs and different styles and where they evolved takes a lot of research and study, but it only matters if you get heavily into Flintlocks, or have a big interest in the early gun making in North America.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »
Honestly, you don't really want to keep that piece of junk.  I suggest you send it to me and I'll even pay postage.  ;D
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 04:37:33 AM »
I'll be honest . To my eyes this is a very contemporary build by a skilled ( fit and finish ) craftsman that hasn't studied traditional design and traditional longrifles very much. Most of the art applied isn't traditional design except for the patch box which I am guessing was pre cut.

I am glad that you like it and appreciate it. I hope you study longrifles further and gain more appreciation for them. Try to get a hold of Rifles or Colonia America vol 1 by Shumway from your local library or borrow one and your appreciation for them will grow. 

nosrettap1958

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
I agree Tom, a skilled fella that hasn't studied or didn't care to study traditional schools of longrfiles. To be nice, not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:32:07 PM by crawdad »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 07:43:31 AM »
Great Gift!  

and like they say above, but do remember that we're a tiny tiny small portion of the shooting public--so most folks won't know the difference at all.

...enjoy that rifle.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:46:31 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
While admitting my ignorance of most specifics concerning "schools", It does appear to be combination of more than one time period.  Personally, I'm not bothered by that.  I like that rifle. 8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

eddillon

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 01:51:43 AM »
I used to be totally involved in Winchester 66s and 73s.  I built a flintlock in the 70s and slowly got away from the Winchesters.  As the saying goes "I got out too soon".  Today I'm sure I could retire if I had waited.  Had over 100 '66s and '73s.  I'm down to one '73 in .22 Short.  They will probably declare it illegel here in good old California.  Removeable tubular magazine that holds 24 shots plus one in the chamber.  Wow! A 25 shot assault rifle.  :)  I am fortunate enough to have a small gathring of long rifles and find that they are more satifying than the Winchesters.