Author Topic: Double Hunting Bag  (Read 9181 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Double Hunting Bag
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:37:34 AM »
This is a double shot bag I recently finished. Constructed as made by a saddler or harness maker. All hand sewn in English fashion with linen thread, brass buckle with hand forged iron tongue, rolled welt construction, strap adjusts from 49-55", double layer flap has double lined diamond pattern with bound edge, entrance is rolled and sewn, strap is harness edged and creased with a sliding keeper, vegetable tanned leather has been colored with vinegar blacking. 8" wide by 7" tall.

RoaringBull

Re: Double Hunting Bag
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:36:14 AM »
Beautifully constructed. Excellent craftsmanship.

Vomitus

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
   Very nice. My kind of bag.Thanks for posting.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
James,
Nice job on the double bag.   Double bags are tough to get right and these bags are spot on.  I own one of James double bags, not quite as fancy, but I will attest that the workmanship is top shelf, as is James.
David

Vomitus

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »
   May I have it?

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:39:34 AM »
A book or an online tutorial would maybe inspire some of us duffers to stretch our skills. Maybe? Please?

I really admire bags like this. A finely crafted rifle deserves an equally well made bag. I never was a fan of the aged, misshappen, and beat up school of bagmaking. ;)
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Martyman

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:42:09 AM »
I like it!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
Nice bag, I could live with that.   Great leather, I like that "rounded" look, ........Don

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »
Thank you very much gentlemen.
I have a few more of these I need to make.
 ;D

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 06:56:56 AM »
Very attractive!  And I'd venture quite practical also.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 04:52:37 AM »
hooo my, that is very nice
Denis

Offline Artificer

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 05:56:45 AM »
James,

Once again you have taken craftsmanship to the level of Art.  Well done!!

The one picture showing the back of the strap slide reminded me of a question I wanted to ask about in the thread "Belt for my hunting frock ."  I thought then that you may have sewn the edges of the "slide" leather end to end using a curved awl as was done on dice cups, sword, bayonet and knife scabbards and other items.  It looks like you did it this way on this strap slide and I wondered if that is how you actually did it?

Is there and advantage of using rolled welts such as perhaps making it easier to shed water or is it a matter of style and additional craftsmanship?

Was the placement of the buckle done for wearing the pouch on the right side of the body and thus not have the buckle "get in one's way" when loading from the pouch or  being less likely to catch on something in front of you?   

Those are really great pictures and  thank you for showing your excellent pouch in such detail. 

Gus

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 06:15:28 AM »
Thanks Gus,
That is how I did the slides but I use regular harness needles.
Rolled welts make for a fine appearance IMO.
Buckles go where you like them. You will find them anywhere or nowhere on pouches..
In the back and it presses against your back when you lean against a tree. In front and sometimes it gets in the way when cradling a gun.

;D

Offline Artificer

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 06:41:54 AM »
Thanks Gus,
That is how I did the slides but I use regular harness needles.
Rolled welts make for a fine appearance IMO.
Buckles go where you like them. You will find them anywhere or nowhere on pouches..
In the back and it presses against your back when you lean against a tree. In front and sometimes it gets in the way when cradling a gun.

;D

Ah, should have realized there were no indented lines left by a curved awl on the back of the strap slide sides.

Never thought about a buckle pressing against one's back when leaning against a tree.  Good point, though I think it would be easier to adjust a bag/pouch with the buckle around to miss the tree when the buckle is mounted that way, than having the buckle interfere with loading tools or cradling a gun in front.  Still a good point to consider when deciding which side to put the buckle.

Gus

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 05:28:21 PM »
Beautiful design, construction, and execution...very professional quality workmanship, fit and finish...very nice indeed..
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
James i have question on your work. Your sewing is tight would you say close to 11 per inch and the belts seem to take a thicker leather and for the rolled welt how wide does it need to be . After you did the pouch do you do the finish and then add the exterior sewing.
I went to your blog you create incredible art. The craftsmanship that is found concerning this sport is amazing.
Denis

Offline Artificer

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 11:41:45 PM »
I would add the leather "band" around the edge of the flap was done very, very nicely.  That is not easy to do and make it look that good.

Gus

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 03:27:04 AM »
James,

How did you get that nice chocolate brown color with vinegar?   I always get a very dark brown to blue/black.   I only get a brown that color with AQ made with wrought iron. 

Thanks,

Mark

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 04:06:05 AM »
Gentlemen I humbly thank you for the compliments.
I have 4 or 5 of this same design on order for spring.

Frenchman, the welt width needs to be appropriate to how far your stitching is from the edge. I usually just eyeball it with my dividers but I would guess 3/8". Dampen, double it and tap it with your harness hammer. You can also fill it with a cord.
I usually do most of the finish on my leather in pieces and then sew.
Edge binding is done after the body is sewn.

Mark, IIRC this pouch came out black. The photographer was really awful and his equipment was even worse. Should have been fired. ;D

gizamo

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 04:57:54 AM »
 ;).... ;D

Giz