Author Topic: Enlarging a Ram Rod hole  (Read 10077 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Enlarging a Ram Rod hole
« on: May 19, 2008, 03:24:50 AM »
It seems my ram rod holes are always a little smaller than my ram rod.  I guess this is due to the wood swelling some.  Whatever the reason it seems to be a continuous problem. I normally taper the ram rod a little but I'm working on a gun with a 1/4 ram rod and did not want to take anything off the rod.   I don't have a 1/4 ram rod drill to open the hole up and did not want to make one just to enlarge this one hole so I came up with attaching a scraper to a Stainless ram rod.  So I made a scraper out of a thumbscrew.  Just file it down to size and bevel the edges.  making the nose a little smaller than the rear part.  I was surprised how well it worked.  It only took a few minutes to make so having one in different sizes is easy.  You just make sure you rotate clockwise and it will stay tight or you could solder it in for a more perm. tool. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:36:23 AM by rich pierce »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Enlarging a Ram Rod hole
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 05:37:51 AM »
I am not sure if this tool spins, or cuts on the pull, not rotating, like you want to scrape only one side of the hole.

I like the thought of being able to adjust the hole after the fact of drilling it.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:19:21 AM »
The attachement will only screw in so far and it eventualy locks in place.  As I turn the ram rod it will scrape the sides.  It like spinning an arrowhead as I push it into the ram rod hole. 
Ken

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »
Ken,
Thanks for sharing this great Idea. I have the ability to make my drill bits but set up time is a hassle. This is quick and effective.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:13:13 AM »
Dave,
Even with the ram rod bits I like to do some things slow and by hand.  I always fear a drill bit catching and spliting a forend.
Ken