Author Topic: Ferrous Metal Aging Advice  (Read 1692 times)

Offline 120RIR

Ferrous Metal Aging Advice
« on: February 07, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »
I would like to do some light-moderate aging on a replacement barrel band for a converted M.1816 Springfield that was a cheap local flea market find.  Can anyone provide some advice?  I'm not looking for any heavy pitting but just to imitate that light corrosion/black surface that would go with the rest of the musket.  Thanks!

Online Stoner creek

Re: Ferrous Metal Aging Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 11:19:07 PM »
Apply cold blue to the part allow to dry then put it in Clorox. You can watch it rust up. Pull your part, card with 4/0 steel wool and neutralize with a baking soda paste. This will pit the metal but no where near what a Clorox/water boil will pit.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 01:23:11 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 01:27:27 AM »
Interesting.  Will the Clorox reduce the near-orange color of fresh cold blue rust?

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 04:18:41 PM »
The cold bluing and Clorox treatment is interesting and tagged for future use.
However, I have a question.  Clorox is strongly basic and baking soda is also basic.  How would the baking soda neutralize the Clorox?  Wouldn't vinegar be a better neutralizing agent?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 04:44:50 PM »
That’s a pretty basic question. I think folks are used to thinking of baking soda as a sort of generic neutralizer and also think only acids attack metal.

Neutralizers are typically a weak opposite of what the primary treatment was. If strong there’s a good chance the pH will swing the other way. Vinegar is a great choice as a neutralizer for strong bases.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wmrike

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 06:24:24 PM »
After the cold blue/clorox treatment, give the barrel a good wiping with phosphoric acid.  The acid may change the color a bit toward a mottled light gray if done vigorously.  The important aspect, to me, is that it leaves the steel with a phosphate coating that will help with rust resistance.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 08:55:19 PM »
Perhaps I should clarify a bit.  I'm also looking to mimic the dark brown-black light corrosion and dirt buildup/layer and not just necessarily replicate light pitting.  The musket was an attic find and actually in decent shape, not cut-down, etc. but for some reason just missing the front barrel band (and the ramrod).  Thanks!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:30:03 PM »
Consider burying it in the garden in the spring for a bit, with the inside of the barrel band shellacked. Take it out after a couple weeks and hit it with a fine wire wheel on the drill press.

I coulda been mean and said chicken manure is what really works.  ::)
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 10:56:28 PM »
I coulda been mean and said chicken manure is what really works.
Actually, I had a friend who restored antique clocks.  He buried parts in the garden with dog @#$%/!! to age them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 11:13:05 PM »
It's the ammonia, any farmer will tell you.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 11:19:48 PM »
Hmmm...no dogs or chickens around here. Will bear or deer @#$%/!! work as well?   ;)

I'll try a little ammonia as well.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 01:40:16 AM »
Just pee on the garden a lot. If you are dehydrated some, even better.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline fahnenschmied

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 09:50:59 PM »
You may try covering it with black powder fouling for a few days to get a bit of rust - then wash it off, cover it with cooking oil, and heat it up till the oil begins to smoke.  A shade of brown will grow darker and darker until  it turns black - then of course if you get it too hot the black will burn off, but you can let it cool a bit, add more oil, and hit it again.