Author Topic: Estate Sale Find Lloyd Norris  (Read 9652 times)

Pittsburgh Rifleman

Estate Sale Find Lloyd Norris
« on: October 04, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »
I have recently acquired a beautiful long gun from an estate sale and was wondering if anyone has information or history on the maker.  The name on top of the barrel is Lloyd D. Norris.  The manufacturer of the lock was W.G. Sutter of Ruffsdale PA.  I did find a bit of reference to him in a Google search.  Interestingly I do not live very far from there.  The gun is quite spectacular, the craftsmanship that went into it is quite amazing.  I built a Hawken rifle from a kit in high school years ago and appreciate the amount of work that went into it.

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Estate Sale Find Lloyd Norris
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
Hello Rifleman and welcome to ALR! We have had a few past discussions regarding your lock maker here on this board some time ago. If you do a search "Sutter"  it should come up. I believe a member of the Sutter family was very interested in finding a lock or information about their relative. I would sure like to see pictures of your fine Norris rifle. Best to you......Joel
Joel Hall

Pittsburgh Rifleman

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »
Yes, I saw the thread on the young lady dating the grandson.  I took some photo's but can't seem to figure out how to post them.  The gun has not been shot in 30-40 years if ever.  There seems to be no wear on the nipple or hammer.P1050321.JPG
P1050318.JPG
P1050320.JPG
P1050325.JPG
P1050324.JPG
P1050319.JPG
P1050323.JPG
P1050322.JPG

Pittsburgh Rifleman

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »
That did not seem to work.  How do you upload images?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:13 PM »
Take a close look at the lock with the W.G.Sutter marking. There were lock kits
made and sold for years thru different vendors with those markings. A real
Sutter lock was used to make the moulds from. Sutter made his own locks
and I knew the man and saw him at Friendship at a number of shoots over
the years.

Bob Roller

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
That did not seem to work.  How do you upload images?
You need to send them the Photobucket first then post the links to the photos using the photograph icon on the tool bar above the window.
There is a tutorial on this site

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Pittsburgh Rifleman

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
Let's try Again

Links fixed by moderator.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:23:03 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
A very fine looking Bedford PA rifle you have there Rifleman! Can you give any details of the rifle's barrel length and if you can find any markings for a possible barrel maker? I appreciate you showing us your pictures.......Joel
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »
I saw it's twin at the Jefferson County longrifle show in august.  Lloyd liked the Bedfords.
Nice looking rifle.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Pittsburgh Rifleman

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 09:47:44 PM »
Interesting,
Very hard to spot on the left side partially hidden by the wood stock.
GR DOWGLAS .45 CAL

Pittsburgh Rifleman

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »
The barrel measures 40" to the tang.

Pittsburgh Rifleman

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »
Is there a thread here on how to disassemble the trigger and lock mechanism?  This gun has sat so long that the triggers are not releasing the hammer reliably.  Needs a little TLC.  If I remember correctly parts need to be in the proper position prior to disassembly or it could fly apart or springs broken.

Pittsburgh Rifleman

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 10:31:28 PM »
Well, the latch was not holding the cover closed on the patch box so I removed the brass butt plate and low and behold there was the following.

Lodge. No. 502 FAAM (Pollock Lodge Tarentum)
May 20th 1966
Rifle NO. 22

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 11:34:41 PM »
You will find that on every Norris rifle  I am told.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 04:48:50 AM »
I looked in my The Bedford County Rifle and It's Makers by: Calvin Hetrick and I can't find either Lloyd D. Norris. or W.G. Sutter's name.

I'll have to search the internet harder it would be interesting to learn more about them since scottdale is only 10 miles from my house.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 02:54:25 PM »
Kopfjaeger,
W.G.Sutter was active in the 1950's and 60's.Does that book address contemporary makers?
Also,Sutter was a lockmaker and possibly never made a rifle.I have made a very few rifles and
enjoy making them but other work takes priority.
Mr.Sutter told me he made his mainsprings from 1095 and tumblers from torsion bars salvaged
from wrecked Chryslers and '55-'56 Packards cars.

Bob Roller

Pittsburgh Rifleman

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:41 PM »
I am not sure how to tell if it is a true Sutter lock.  But I did disassemble the entire rifle Lloyd did scribe his home address in Brackenridge PA under the barrel and the date he completed the rifle of May 24 1966.  The lock was made from relatively crude components, and it appears to me that this rifle was never fired.  Is it common for the ram rod to extend beyond the muzzle about an inch?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 02:54:01 AM »
A genuine Sutter lock will show evidence of bench work while
one of the kits using his name will be easily identified as a
group of cast parts.
Post a picture of both sides of the lock if possible.
A ramrod extending beyond the muzzle is not uncommon
and makes the rod easier to remove.
Bob Roller

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 05:00:05 AM »
Norris, Lloyd D.
Brackenridge

Lloyd D. Norris, 89, of Brackenridge died Wednesday (Dec. 12, 2001) in Shadyside Hospital, Pittsburgh.
Born Aug. 17, 1912 in Tarentum, he lived in the Valley all his life.
He was a supervisor at the template shop, Pittsburgh Plate Glass, Creighton, for 43 years before retiring in 1976.
Mr. Norris was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church, Brackenridge; Masons and Historical Society in Tarentum; Syria Shrine in Harmar and Pittsburgh Scottish Rite. He was a charter member and past president of the Pennsylvania Gun Collectors, and board member and past president of the Tarentum District Sportsman's Club, where he was a member of the trap team.
Survivors include a son, Roger L. Norris of Ligonier; and three grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Beulah M. Hoffman Norris; a daughter, Joyce Baechtel; his parents, Stephen A. and Lulu Elliott Norris; and two brothers, Marlin and Glen Norris.
Friends will be received from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday and from 11 to 1 p.m. Saturday in ROBERT PETERS FUNERAL HOME, INC., 1521 Freeport Road, Natrona Heights, where services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday with his pastor, the Rev. Thomas E. Brown, officiating. Private burial will be in Prospect Cemetery, Brackenridge. Memorial contributions may be made to Trinity United Methodist Church, 847 10th Ave., Brackenridge, PA 15014.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!