Author Topic: Double Rifle  (Read 5140 times)

Offline GrampaJack

Double Rifle
« on: May 30, 2013, 02:54:18 AM »
I was at a very small show in N. E. Ohio a couple weeks ago and came across this old over/under double.  The more I looked at it the more unusual features, at least to me, showed up. We ended up with several guys huddled around it and most thought it was unusual in several areas. Most of all the twist rifling on the small top barrel and straight grooves on the bottom "cannon" barrel. Would have made quite a deer gun I would surmise.   The gun is completely unmarked except for the locks.  It is quite heavy coming in at about 13lbs.  We had guesses as to its origination all the way from E. New York to Mi. and everywhere in between.  I'd be curious if any of the folks on the board have seen such a beast. Here is a summary of the details and some pictures. Thanks, Jack

Double barrel over/under rifle. 

Details: 

Very fancy burled walnut stock with wrist checkering.
   All brass wide trigger guard and butt plate.
   29” heavy round barrels measuring 1 1/8 at breach with taper to 13/16 at muzzle.
   Top barrel bore measures about .444 with 5 lands and grooves.
   Bottom barrel bore measures about .650 with 8 lands and grooves.     
   G. Goulcher locks.

Features:

The top barrel is twist rifling with very wide lands much like a civil war musket.
   The bottom barrel also has wide lands but the rifling is straight.
The gun has a hooked breach with a taper pin used to lock the barrels to the receiver.
Instead of the usual long nose hammer to reach the bottom barrel there is apparently a passage drilled from the nipple down to the bottom barrel.  This eliminates the need for the long hammer.
The right lock that fires the top barrel had a provision for sear adjustment. This consists of a screw that runs through the lock plate with a taper on the inside that engages the sear.  Running the screw in makes for a “hair” trigger. 
   Heavy gun, wt. about 13lbs.

eddillon

Re: Double Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:50:03 AM »
Very New York looking to me.  I'll do some digging when I return home near wine country.  Currently in Salt lake City.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 06:20:42 AM »
Yes, it shows lots of New York influence, including the "fishbelly" stock.  Just remember though, that lots of Michigan makers (as well as some farther west) came from New York.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
Multi-barrels, reversed cap boxes, perch bellied stocks, were the style of the era during the last quarter of the 19th century. I believe the style got started in the Billinghurst shop in New York. It is seen all over the country towards the end of the 19th century. Ohio, and Indiana, have several gunsmiths that adopted this style, and like many of the California gunsmiths that used this style, they may have worked for Billinghurst at some point in their gunsmithing carriers. The cheekpiece indicates to me this gun was made in the Eastern part of the country, few of the far Western gunsmiths bothered with a cheekpiece this late in the century. The tapered pin locking system is another common thread in these multi-barreled muzzleloaders. The furniture is typical, and may have been sourced from the same supplier. Brass furniture seems to show up more often in the Eastern guns than on those made out West. Nice gun.

Hungry Horse

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 06:19:56 PM »
I believe the seller said it came from a family in N. E. Ohio where it had been for a very long time. Of this means nothing as far as originator.  The thing that seemed to catch the attention of the folks that looked at it was the rifling with the top twist and the bottom straight.  I wonder what short of "ball" this thing would have used?  Thanks, Jack

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 02:46:34 AM »
At OGCA today I saw a gun that was very close to the one I posted. Unfortunately I was not able to get a picture but the 2 guns share many similarities.  The top barrel of the one I saw today was engraved: L. Rohrer, New Castle Pa.  I have not turned up any information so far. Anyone have any information on this builder?  I'm not sure by a long shot that he made mine but I'd like to see more of his work for comparison. Thanks, Jack

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »
Hi Jack,
Saw your post and found a Leopold Rohrer 1851-1939. He is listed in Chicago, Illinois 1871-1873 and New Castle, Pennsylvania 1873-1939. My listing doesn't say anything more than "Percussion rifles". Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Mark
Mark

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 01:35:46 AM »
Really helps to have a first name.  I'll continue the search.  Thanks, Jack

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
I believe I have a printers block from rohrer's in new castle. Will have to take a look
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.