Author Topic: Levi (Leroy) Kaup--Union County  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Spotz

• member 2
Levi (Leroy) Kaup--Union County
« on: October 12, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
Good afternoon:

I had the good fortune a while back to purchase the day book (ledger) of Levi Kaup.  Kaup (who possibly also went by Leroy, as well as his given name Levi) was a gunsmith in West Buffalo Township, Union County, Pennsylvania.  If local to central Pennsylvania, I am speaking on the evening of November 7 on Union County Gunsmiths at the Union County Historical Society's Dinner in Mifflinburg.  In organizing materials, I thought that it would be an interesting project to retype the Kaup ledger and possibly add annotations.  Maybe it will become a mini-book project, if there is enough interest.  I have heard from others in the past but does anyone else have more information on this maker, photos of his rifles or any accoutrements, including Kaup signed powder measures?  I would appreciate any additional information on this relatively unknown maker that signed his rifles "LK" (in script) and "Leroy Kaup" (stamped).

Thank you.

Jeff Spotts
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:39:32 AM by Spotz »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Levi (Leroy) Kaup--Union County
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:03:33 PM »
Steve, I own a side hammer rifle that is signed L.K. on the top barrel flat and it has long been presumed that it is a Levi Kaup piece. The gun is pictured in Dillin's book on Plate III, top rifle. Patrick Hornberger, Northwind on the Forum here, may have a lot of information on Kaup if you wish to contact him. 
Dick

Offline Loudy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:05:10 AM »
Jeff,

I personally would enjoy seeing a transcription Levi Kaup's day book.  Wish I could be in Mifflinburg for your presentation next month.  Below is the biographical information I have on Levi Kaup.  Hope you find something here of use.  I'll look through my photo collection for images of any L.K. rifles I might have. 

Mark Loudenslager

Levi Kaup (Caup)
Born:  January 31, 1823 West Buffalo Township, Union County, Pennsylvania
Died:  February 22, 1901 Vicksburg, West Buffalo Twp., Union Co., Pennsylvania
Buried:  Dreisbach Church Cemetery, Mifflinburg, Union County, Pennsylvania

Levi Kaup is listed in the Union County tax records as a gunsmith in West Buffalo Township in 1846 and 1857.  In the 1861 Union County Civil War Draft list for West Buffalo Township he listed his occupation as “Gunsmith”.  Dalas Ewing reported seeing a full-stocked rifle marked with a stamp “Levi Kaup” on the top barrel flat.  This rifle was said to show “characteristics typical of Union & Snyder County.”  He was also known to have signed his rifles with engraved initials “L. K.”.

Levi Kaup was a gunsmith and farmer in West Buffalo Township, Union County, Pennsylvania.  Levi Kaup was the son of Christian Kaup and Anna M. (Bessinger) Kaup.  Levi’s parents came to West Buffalo Township in 1815 from Berks County.  Christian Kaup was a weaver and a farmer by profession. 
Ref. “Commemorative Biographical Record of Central Pennsylvania” by J. H. Beers & Company, published 1898, pgs. 944-945.

Levi Kaup married Elizabeth Hoffman, daughter of Joseph Hoffman of West Buffalo Township.  She was born on January 15, 1824, and died April 7, 1890.  She was buried beside her husband in Mifflinburg.  Together they had four children, two of which reached adulthood (two sons).  John Kaup and Alfred Kaup, both of Mifflinburg, PA.
Ref. “C.P.I.” p. 944

1850 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Union County, West Buffalo Township
Levi Kaup, age 27, occupation “Gunsmith”.

1870 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Union County, West Buffalo Township
Levi Kaup, age 37, occupation “Farmer”.

1880 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Union County, West Buffalo Township
Levi Kaup, age 47, occupation “Farmer”.

1900 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Union Co., Buffalo Twp., Dist. 187, p. 148
John Kaup; Levi Kaup, age 67, occupation “Gun Smith”. 

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:55:13 AM »
Who is doing what in Mifflinburg next month?   I am always looking or watching for this type of thing.    I have to assume it
will be on Union/Snyder county stuff.    I bought an over/under, rifle/smoothbore, at the KRA show last June.   It was labeled
as possibly Joe Long.   I never saw a Long like this, but, it has several things on it that say "Joe Long".   If it is not Joe, I would like to know who you think might have made it????...........Don

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:44:30 AM »
Don:

On the evening of November 7, I am speaking on Union County Gunsmiths at the Union County Historical Society's Annual Dinner (held at Carriage Corner in Mifflinburg).  I believe that tickets can be purchased through the Society's office.  Shoot me an e-mail and I can provide you with contact information.

Jeff