Author Topic: souther mountain rifle parts on Ebay  (Read 22682 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: souther mountain rifle parts on Ebay
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
I was up in Norris this past weekend visiting my 95 year old dad. He gave me John Rice Irwin's book"Guns and Gun Making Tools Of Southern Appalachia". Some pictures of Rice made rifles and info about the makers in the book.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »
Well Mark, Thanks so very much, and I really appreciate your offer!!!!

I've made a lot of parts for guns over then years, but never a complete trigger guard, so your help will be greatly appreciated! I've always known that this forum is a special place, with guys willing to be helpful in many ways, but your more than generous offer really takes the cake!!!

In return, if there's ever anything I can help you with, or help anyone else on the forum, just ask.

Mountainman Dave, As for the lock, If its original to the gun, it can be put back in good order with some work. I have a pretty good supply of old lock parts, springs, hammers and lock plates, plus welding equipment, a milling machine and a metal lathe to help with those parts I don't have. As an aside, I have about 30+ stripped down old lock plates, both flint and percussion, and none of them are exactly the same size or shape!

Eric K, Thanks for the reminder of Irwin's book. I have that one and will dig it out for a look!

Tell you what, since this old thing has generated more interest than expected, once I get it, and some time to work on it, I'll post pictures as I go along fixing what needs fixing and putting it back together.

Mark, I'll email you with the info!

John  ;D

John Robbins

Offline Levy

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »
JTR (John),  Do not despair yet!  I got an email from a friend today and he says that he bought the trigger guard and the triggers to your rifle.  He has a recent interest in Southern Mtn. Rifles and bought the pieces in a feeding frenzy of bidding.  He knows he spent a lot on them and is now having second thoughts.  I recently talked him out re-stocking the parts on a half-stock southern gun that he has.  he still has a lot to learn, but forgive him his beginners zeal.  I have sent an email to him asking if it is okay to give you his email address.  Hopefully, he will work with you to get these parts back together.

James Levy 
James Levy

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2013, 10:31:18 PM »
James, I just sent you an email.

John
John Robbins

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2013, 11:56:22 PM »
Old Bubbie gwine ta Californie-via Wisconsin,Lord if they could talk.lookin at all the goin on here,he already be havin a Major Life Event,sorta like us old guys a geezin!lol.I am not surprised about this recent turn of events.Small world,gettin smaller,at least in our circles.Man,what an epoch!!needs to be inna book.Have a great weekend,y'all.Dave

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
Thanks to James Levy I have some photos of the trigger guard and triggers that go on the Ebay rifle we have been discussing in this topic. I can not help but wonder if the maker had some exposure to some of my Gillespie family at one time or other. Look at the similarities in the way the triggers are made (see David Rase's recent photos of his Gillespie triggers). Also there are similarities in the trigger guard.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 07:48:39 PM »
Thanks to James, I've been in contact with the guy that bought the triggers and guard. He's willing to sell them to me, for what he paid for them, plus shipping. Seems he bought them, but, well, I don't know.... None the less, I'm happy he's willing to pass them on.

I talked to the original seller and he said that he'd bought the rifle at a local gun show in Racine WI, already taken apart, but he's pretty sure the triggers and guard are original to the rifle. The gun should be here tomorrow or Friday and I want to take a good look at the stock inlets and the pictures of the guard and triggers to be positive the parts belong together. If they do, I'll buy the parts, and put the old thing back together as one again.

In the end, I'll end up with $1250 bucks in a $750 rifle, and promise myself to delete ebay off my computer!

John
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:50:18 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2013, 09:33:27 PM »
Hey John,we all need to spend more time in shop and less lookin at ebay.Gets me in trouble,too.Then,theres the used Harley Davidsons for sale that is mucho temptation.Guess thas what us ol guys do these days.At least we can communicate here on the forum.Best of luck on the triggs and guard.I am likin the look of that guard.Would like to see more pics of Ol Bubbie rifle.I liked the lines I saw.Might make one similar.Thanks,Dave

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
Don't worry about overpaying John.  You're not alone.  Anyway, I'm still shaking my head as to why
someone paid $280 for a trigger guard not from a John Armstrong.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2013, 01:58:11 AM »
Hey there MM70, I'll post some pictures when I get it all back together, then again if it needs any fixing. Hopefully I'll have everything by the end of next week!

Shreck, I'm not sure an Armstrong trigger guard would bring that much!  :o

John
John Robbins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2013, 03:17:48 AM »
Fantastic that it all gets back together.  Seller is happy i'm sure.  Hope this doesn't spur a frenzy of parting-out-rifles.  Back when i used to collect cast iron, the week after something went higher than normal, the market would be flooded with similar items-depreciating the whole lot.  I bid 400 bucks on a skillet once, but only because i knew it would go for 1000+ (which it did) but now i can say "I bid 400 bucks on a skillet".    ;)

These days i figger out my max amount, add a few dollars to that.  bid and leave.  They'll send a note if i won it.

Congrats again John, on the "complete" item this time.  Hey just rub it down with that antique restoration liquid, fix 'er right up.  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2013, 04:35:35 AM »
Hey John,didja get ol Bubbie back togather?I would like to see some pics as I am in planning stages to build a southern iron mtd rifle .I didnt think fast enuff to save ebay pics.Best regards,Dave F
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:46:28 PM by mountainman70 »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »
Got all the parts!
Give me a couple days Dave, and I'll get some pictures up.
John
John Robbins

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »
Sweet work.