Author Topic: Introduction/First Rifle  (Read 6920 times)

houch

Introduction/First Rifle
« on: October 20, 2013, 03:09:15 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the world of muzzle loaders and am looking to get my first flintlock. I have looked into getting a kit and/or commissioning a rifle and am a bit confused on how to proceed.   ???

On the one hand, I can pay $600-900 for a TOTW or Chambers kit and build the rifle myself. On the other hand, I can commission a rifle for $2-2500. The cost between the two option is not huge (I would have to buy a fair number of tools for the diy method), but the wait time is. The fastest turn around I was quoted by a builder was 1.5 years.

Is there any route that doesn't involve 2015 and still results in a quality rifle? I am interested to hear how others have approached this problem. I am not opposed to buying a used gun, but have few option that meet my needs. Currently I am looking for a gun with a .50 or .54 rifled, swamped barrel...the rest of the gun I am not SUPER picky about. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to meeting everyone!

J

Online EC121

Re: Introduction/First Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 03:30:26 AM »
There are people selling built rifles who can sell you a reasonably priced, finished rifle to get started or you can finish it yourself.  Not many tools involved in finishing the wood and metal.  Sandpaper and files.  Learn to shoot on this one and look around.   There are all levels of rifles on the market.  No waiting. 
Brice Stultz

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:38:14 AM »
Welcome abroad! I'm only 5 years into my first build.  (there were some days off)

There _is_ another option.  Some makers sell "in-the-white" guns that are fitted together and functional, but are not finished, metal or wood.  Tip Curtis usually has plenty of those on his racks.  There was one of his ITW's on the classifieds here not too long ago, but I think it was a smoothie.

That option knocks your learning process down to finishing and that can be as complicated as martian astrology* if you want.  

*chinese arithmetic probably isn't pc any more.

And that gets you shooting/hunting sooner and you can learn all about it as you go.  

If i was starting my first over today, I'd change a few parts.  BUT I do have all the parts ready to go for number 2 in house and ready to rock--right after season or I get my freezer full.  It'll be a bit more "correct a mundo" and maybe have less goofs and do-overs.  The learning of the actual making of the rifle won't get any better until you actually do it, but the learning of the reasons/styles/schools etc. has already started, and won't stop if you don't.  cheers. ;)

Hold to the Wind

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:58:53 AM »
List what you are wanting in the want to buy thread.   You will be surprised at what may be available.  List exactly what you are wanting in a rifle.

I was looking for a 32 caliber a while back and had 8 offered to me in just a few days.  I did buy one of them and am very well satisfied with the purchase.
iloco

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »
Good advice so far and welcome to the forum. Seems to me that your first effort would be pinning down what style of rifle or old time makers style you would most like to own. Lots to choose from, Early or Late Lancaster, Bedford, LeHigh, Plains Rifle or a Hawken, English, French, Trade Gun, full stock, half stock to name only a sampling. It sounds a bit off putting but it isn't hard - just do some searching until something knocks your eye out and gets a "wow" out of you. Then learn something of who made it and what "school" it is in.

And very important: have fun!

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 06:47:22 AM »
There are usually custom rifles for sale at top shops like Dixons in PA, Dixons Gunmakers Fair, and at shows like the CLA and others.
Andover, Vermont

ottawa

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 05:17:47 PM »
once you get the idea of the rifle you like and want to build it. check on some classes. they have some out this way at the log cabin shop you cant go wrong with the classes you will get a better idea of what you need to do a build and lots of great help be-for you make a big mistake in the build. or check out a class be-for you get you parts get a better idea of if building is your rout or a ready made. once you start building its a slippery slope of addiction :D

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »
Recently we had Joe Scorsone (20 years ago and still one of the very top gunmakers in the country) join us as one of our workers.  Joe specifically wants to build our kits "in the white" for customers.  Basically, you can now get a kit in the white from us for little more than the cost of a good set of chisels above the basic cost of the kit.  This should be a good way to get a really top quality rifle, pistol or fowler at a reasonable price and without waiting months to years for delivery.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Wow, Jim, that's some good news! That should be a major help in getting folks into a quality flinter a lot sooner.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

nosrettap1958

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 09:19:38 PM »
Houch, go here or on any of the builder's sites on the contemporary blog, linked in the first post, they have rifles for sale.

http://longrifle.com/forsale/default.asp?categoryID=1&age=Contemporary

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:10:07 AM »
Jim......that sounds great, am glad to see that he is "back".   He did build some nice guns, it's been a long time since I heard
of him.  I think the last time I saw him was at Friendship in my old booth.    There was a bunch of guys at the booth talking
and one guy with a white painters cap on.  After a while it dawned on me who this guy was.......we had a good laugh over it.
Don

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:53 AM »
First suggestion, and it doesn't directly pertain to obtaining a rifle, is to purchase a copy of Eric Bye's recent book Fintlocks - a Practical Guide.    It'll give you something to read while you're finding your gun, and give you some good background info on the care and feeding of the rock-lock.

The Avances at Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading (www.avsia.com) have produced a lot of guns that brought smiles to the owners' faces, at pretty reasonable prices.    And, they offer many of their rifles as a kit that I've heard does most of the tricky stuff for you.

Track of the Wolf's offerings of new and used guns are worth looking at.  No wait if you see one you like, and they have a 10 day return policy so if you get it and it's not what you wanted you can send it back to them, although you will be out shipping costs.

If there's a decent size shoot or rendezvous in your area, go and check out traders row.  You may find something you like there, and can see and hold it before you put down cash.

Good luck and good hunting.  SCL

Vomitus

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
  Go with the Jim Chambers deal! You won't be sorry. Hey, maybe that smooth rifle may be within price range.(been eying it up for a while)