Author Topic: Portable Post Vise Stand  (Read 13148 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Portable Post Vise Stand
« on: October 21, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
After 15 + years of use, my 2x4 and nailed together wooden combination post vise, anvil and swage block stand has finally reached the end off its service life.  Needing a new stand I started my research.  I wanted a stand that would be steady as well as portable.  I store my blacksmithing equipment inside my shop and take it out and set it up when necessary.  I also wanted to be able to pack it around with me when I was performing a demonstration or seminar.  After about a month of research and putting together designs in my head I came up with the stand pictures below.  The heart of the stand is the 3" x 33" square tube upright.  Welded to the top of the square tube is an 8" x 6"x 3/8" plate drilled and tapped for 1/2"- 13 bolts for mounting the vise.  At the base of the square tube is a 2" x10" x 1/2" welded to a notch cut into the front and back sections of the square tube.  Affixed to this plate is a piece of 1 1/2" diameter round stock about 3/4" long with a 7/8" hole drilled through it to stabilize the post.  The 3 legs are made of 1" square stock.  The 3 pieces of 4" long square tubing that are welded to the under side of the 3/8" plate are  spaced 120 degrees apart and splayed at 22 degrees and provide a slip fit for the 1" square legs.  The legs have washers welded on the ends for feet and have 1/4" hitch pins connecting them to the outer square tubing.  The stand has proven to be all that I intended it to be, portable, mobile and steady.  I spent less than $40.00 at the steel yard for materials.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:32:20 AM by rich pierce »

Offline Long Ears

Re: Portable Post Vise Stand
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:38 AM »
Great idea Dave have you tried it in the park? I mean on a grass or dirt surface? Do you mind if I copy it to the best of my ability? Bob

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:08:14 AM »
Great idea Dave have you tried it in the park? I mean on a grass or dirt surface? Do you mind if I copy it to the best of my ability? Bob
Bob,
Copy away, that is why I posted the pictures and the description.  If you have other questions or need a photograph from a different angle, just ask.  If I was to do it all over again, I would splay the front legs out a couple of more degrees.  I started with 25 degrees and thought that was too much angle.  Hind sight being 20/20, I would use 25 degrees.  The vise is pretty stable for a portable stand.  In grass, once you find a level spot it worked great for hammering.  If you had a long bar of metal sticking up in the jaws and pulled on it you could tip it over, unless you bent it backwards.  Since it is a portable stand you have to use a bit of common sense.
David

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 07:12:41 AM »
I made my "portable" vise stand with a round foundation, such that it could be tipped and rolled around the shop...or further.  But that it's probably not nearly as portable as your setup, nor as stable.

The foundation is a brake drum from a big truck, then a 1/4 flat plate to which is welded a 6-inch galvanized well-casing (about 3/16 thick for those who never saw one) topped by another steel plate and a vintage 4" machinist vice.  Stability is limited, I brace my leg into it to counter-act aggressive filing when necessary.  Something makes me think it's ~200#.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:16:00 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
Geeze! It makes me wish I had a post vise. BJH
BJH

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »
Great design!  I may copy it.

Another gag for making a portable post vise stand is to get a 30 gallon steel drum and weld a ring of heavy steel (1/4" x 2"?) around the top and bottom. The weld a couple of tabs sticking out; one at the top for the bolt plate and one at the bottom for the leg. Transport it where you will and then fill it with water for a slack tub. That gives you about 250 pounds of water for stability. Drain it and move it when you are done.

As I remember it, a 30 gallon drum is actually a bit short for most post vises (27.5"), so you'll end up welding a vertical post along the side of the drum to get the top plate up to the proper height. I've seen one done with a 55 gallon drum that didn't need this.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 02:49:01 AM »
Add a axle and 2 wheels to back of post for easier movement