Author Topic: Does Anyone Recognize This Makers Mark  (Read 14798 times)

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
Does Anyone Recognize This Makers Mark
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:11:31 AM »
I know this is a long shot, but I was wondering if anybody on the forum was familiar with a rifle builder that used this makers mark?

The turtle makers mark can be found stamped on the top and bottom flats of the barrel, on the inside of the lock plate, and as an ivory-like inlay on the bottom of the butt stock between the toe plate and trigger guard.  Since a couple of the turtle stamps are hidden, I doubt that they are purely decorative.  They seem more like makers mark to me.

This is the rifle that bears the turtle makers mark.  It was built from a Green River Rifle Works kit of their Leman Indian Rifle.

It has a Ron Long flintlock and the standard GRRW Leman brass furniture and other parts except for the rear sight and under lugs.

I'm guessing that this rifle was built in the mid to late 1970's.  The GRRW Leman Indian Rifle pattern was designed by Phil “Blue Jacket” Sanders while he worked for GRRW.  He copied an original full stock Leman in Dr. Gary White's collection.  The original concept or prototype rifle that Blue Jacket built resurfaced recently in Vernal, Utah, but that's another story.  GRRW sold finished Leman Indian Rifles and kits from 1974 to 1980.  It is obviously a kit gun because there are no factory markings or serial number.  But is was assembled by an experienced, and possibly professional, builder as the quality of the fit and finish rivals the GRRW factory finished rifles.

In my copy of GRRW's 1979 price list, they offered two versions of kits for the Leman Indian Rifle (1) was the Standard Kit that came with a completely shaped and 98% pre-inletted stock, and (2) a Custom Kit that the customer could order variations in barrel size, stock shape, length of pull, etc.  The stock is only partially shaped with ramrod hole drilled and barrel channel cut, while the forestock is left square with only rough shaping from lock panels back to butt.

Back in 1979, I ordered and assembled one the Standard Kits for the Leman Indian Rifle.  I believe the subject rifle was built from a Custom Kit.  Its barrel is 1” longer the the Standard Kit barrel length of 1-1/16” x 30”.  It also has more drop in the stock, and the stock has more curve from the beginning of the wrist to the end of the butt than the straight Lancaster lines of my Standard Kit rifle.

A comparison of my Standard Kit rifle and subject rifle.

The particulars of the turtle Leman are:
   .62 caliber, rifled
   Barrel is 1-1/16” x 31”
   Overall length is 47-1/2”
   Ron Long Flintlock
   Maple stock with some curl
   Dark brown stain, possibly aqua fortis
   Oil finish

When I purchased this rifle from a dealer at a local gun show, I was told it was built by a Bill Lloyd from Nebraska.  I found a William C. Loyd listed as a member of the Contemporary Longrifle Association.  I contacted him and sent him pictures of my rifle, but he said it wasn't one of his, so might be another Bill Lloyd or someone else.

As you can tell from the pictures, this rifle was built by an experienced builder.  The inletting is excellent, and the lines are pleasing to the eye, even though they deviate from the classic Lancaster lines of most H. E. Leman rifles.  The turtle Leman is definitely slimmer and sleeker looking than the Leman I assembled.  The person that built it knew what he was doing.

Phil Meek
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:04:24 AM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Does Anyone Recognize This Makers Mark
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »
I have seen that mark somewhere before, but I can't say where.   Have you looked in the old Buckskinning books and old MuzzleLoader magazines.   Something tells me to look there.   

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look through my set of the Buckskinng books.  I've been researching GRRW in the old muzzleloading magazines, but haven't been paying that much attention to other builders.  I'll spend some more time with them, also.
Phil Meek

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »
Not answering your question but I love the lines of that rifle, she's a beauty.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »
I also like the lines of the rifle.  It would have been even nicer about 9" longer.  I might
be tempted to turn it into a halfstock.  Somebody's gonna complain about that statement :o
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:00:11 AM »
Phil-

I'm not sure if the Bill Lloyd of Nebraska is still with us.  I've owned a couple of his rifles, and while your Leman could definitely be his work I don't recall the touchmark.  I'll send you a PM with contact info for one of his kin, maybe he can help you out.

Jim

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »
I also like the lines of the rifle.  It would have been even nicer about 9" longer.  I might
be tempted to turn it into a halfstock.  Somebody's gonna complain about that statement :o
      All of my halfstock plains type rifles have been noticeably heavier and less well balanced than my fullstock versions. I think there is a halfstock version of the fullstock on your rifle available from Track or Pecatonia and perhaps some others. Be a shame to cut off that nice forearm and that is a handsome firearm as it is. IMHO.
                                            Dan

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:08:16 AM »
I've got a couple of GRRW Leman Trade Rifles that are half stock, so I don't need to modify this full stock.  I like the shorter barrel on these Leman Indian Rifles.  They make for a real handy rifle.  Since the barrel is 1-1/16' straight octagon rather than swamped or tappered, I don't think it would handle as well if the barrel was longer.

I've only had it out for one shooting session so far.  I've got to experiment with some different flints to speed up the ignition, but it showed the accuracy potential that the GRRW barrels are known for.

Early on, GRRW offered a full stock 1822 Leman Trade Rifle with a 7/8" x 40" barrel that appears to have been a typical Lancaster pattern trade rifle.  I've never seen one of these and don't know how many they may have made.  They didn't list it in any of their catalogs after 1974, so it probably didn't sell well. 

I do have one of their Poor Boy rifles with a 7/8" x 42" barrel in .45 caliber.  If I need to reach out and touch something, I can use it.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:27:05 AM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek

oldarcher

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 01:54:45 AM »
Hi Phil,
I have seen this mark before, but I can't remember when or where. I don't think that I saw it related to the many GRRW rifles that I have handled but it certainly could have been. I have an almost complete library of Muzzle Blasts and Muzzleloader that I read and reread and I will keep the mark in mind. Sorry that I could not be of more help. It is a beautiful rifle and I would love to have it.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »

Are you sure that the poorboy that you pictured is a GRRW? It looks a lot like the Mountain rifle that Dixie sold in the 70's and 80s.
Mark
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:41:09 PM by smokinbuck »
Mark

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
I have seen this mark before.   Could it be the trademark Curly Gastomski used on his trade guns?..........Don

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 10:14:06 PM »
That is deffinatlynot a Dixie Tenn Mtn rifle.
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 09:23:16 AM »
Are you sure that the poorboy that you pictured is a GRRW? It looks a lot like the Mountain rifle that Dixie sold in the 70's and 80s.
Mark

Ok, Mark, I'll take the bait.  I can tell you want to see some more pics of the Poor Boy.  This one shows Neil Fields makers mark.

I don't have a picture of the GRRW stamp, but the stamp is on the top barrel flat.

Here's a picture of the lock and trigger guard.  Small Siler percussion lock.  The trigger guard was described in their catalog as hand forged.  This one has the optional upgrade double set triggers.

And the offside butt stock.  It doesn't have a butt plate, just an iron nail in the point of the heel.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:35:59 AM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
Could it be the trademark Curly Gastomski used on his trade guns?..........Don

Interesting possibility, Don.  I haven't seen any bona fide rifles made by Curly, so don't know what makers mark he might have used.  I do have a Wilson Trade Gun that the seller claimed came from Curly's old North Star Enterprises.  The only stamps on it are a sitting fox stamp on the the top flat of the barrel near the breech and on the lock plate.  More than likely it's a Chief's Grade Gun from North Star West as I don't see such a gun listed in the old North Star Enterprises catalog I have.
Phil Meek

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
I have an old Northwest tradegun that was made by Curly for a woman up in Michigan. There are no distinguishing marks other than the typical circle fox on the barrel & lock plate. I believe you can rule out that turtle as being Curly's mark.