Author Topic: William Schreckengost  (Read 2724 times)

Offline wildcatter

William Schreckengost
« on: October 28, 2013, 03:28:17 AM »
Picked this rifle up a local gun show.  I love the wrist repair.  The signature is tough to get in a picture.  It is signed W * Schreckengost.  Thought Shreckmeister would like to see it.  Click the link to see the rifle in drop box.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/91aiwl6axzblhtb/kl2crY3u0C

You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: William Schreckengost
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:03:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing those photos Wildcatter.  An interesting rifle with a lot of his signature work on it.
You can date the rifle by the lock as the hardware company operated in that name for a limited number of years.
Interesting wrist repair.  The templates for the patchbox and cheekpiece may be in the photos on this forum.
Congratulations on your find.  I wish it could tell it's story.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 03:03:01 PM »
wildcatter,
  Nice find ;D
  Very interesting approach to the wrist repair. Haven't seen one like that before!
  Good example of Shreckengost's work.  Thanks for sharing ;D
  Here are the dates for the hardware company on the lock:

Whitmore & Wolfe                  1836-1852;
        Whitmore, Wolfe & Co.           1852-1858;
        Whitmore, Wolfe, Duff & Co.   1858-1872

Shreck ( NOT Meister )

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
Flaydermaus,  That's probably your great great uncles rifle, since you are related to everyone in
Putneyville.  Let me know when you want to walkabout.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.