Author Topic: Wooden patchbox lid retainer  (Read 2325 times)

Offline debnal

Wooden patchbox lid retainer
« on: November 03, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
One more question on an early rifle I have. It has a wooden patchbox lid. It is the original lid but I saw no visible way it was held in place. But when you slide it in, it locks in place beautifully. Then I looked carefully and there is a piece of spring wire along the bottom edge of the lid. It is shaped at an acute angle that provides tension against the cavity when it is inserted. Has anyone ever seen this type of locking device? Any regional implications?
Al

Offline PIKELAKE

Re: Wooden patchbox lid retainer
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:17:08 AM »
Years ago I ran across a Jud Brennan rifle for sale here in Michigan. It was walnut stocked and had a wooden patch box. The lid was held in the mortise by a curved spring mounted inside the box cavity as I remember. Tension from the spring held the lid in place similar to what you describe. I know Jud is a contemporary builder but he must have gotten the idea somewhere. Maybe someone is more familiar with that rifle or at least that method of holding the lid on. I should have bought that rifle.    JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Dave B

Re: Wooden patchbox lid retainer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:51:42 AM »
This sounds interesting with it being hidden at the bottom edge.  How about some Pics?
Dave Blaisdell