Author Topic: Peep sights  (Read 6333 times)

Lutes

Peep sights
« on: October 28, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »
I am fixing to start putting a set peep sights on my light bench / table gun. I would really like to see some pictures of how some of you have mounted them on your gun. Plus any thoughts you have on the sights as far as how high the center of peep is off of the top of barrel. And any thoughts of sight mounted to barrel versus mounted to tang area? What I am running into is if I mount mine to the top of barrel the center of sight is so high (about an inch above top of barrel) that you will have to hold your head up off of Stock  to see it?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Peep sights
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »

Made of 1095 and mild steel. Case hardened the vertical piece so it would hold the dovetails better. The slide is simply heat blued.
Best to place some 120 grit paper face down on the back side and tap with a small hammer to mat the surface and reduce glare.
Dan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:00:07 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
That looks like a simple and well made and effective setup Dan. What size is your elivation screw?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:47:54 PM »
That looks like a simple and well made and effective setup Dan. What size is your elivation screw?

Heck I dunno. I think its a 5-40,  have some of them from Brownell's but would have to pull it out of the safe and look to really know. I used 6x48s to attache it.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline LH

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:50:25 AM »
Somebody on here posted a picture of a Lyman GPR sight base (the one that screws to the tang) with a 20MJT slide in it.  That's about the best way I can think of to keep the sight low.  I recently mounted a 20mjt to a base that is screwed to the top flat which sets the sight up about .8" over the top of the barrel.  I used a Redfield Olympic for the front and made a base for it to set on to get the height I needed.  Cheek weld is not a problem on this gun for me.  Its actually a lot more comfortable than a low mount.  I'll take some pictures if I don't forget about it.   ;)

galudwig

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 03:53:49 AM »
I use a P.I. Spence type peep sight that I bought from Log Cabin Shop on my .40 cal. Vincent.  I don't see them listed in the catalog anymore, but I have seen them in their display case at Friendship and also in the store when I was there two weeks ago.  I currently use a .404 height Lyman 17A globe front sight with interchangeable discs.  I also substitute a Merit adjustable aperture for the plain disc when match shooting.  I don't know how well this setup would on a bench gun but it works just fine for offhand shooting.  Cheek weld is not a problem on the Vincent stock.

galudwig

Lutes

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 04:55:13 AM »
Hey guys thanks for the replys. Gives me some things to consider.

Lutes

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 05:13:53 AM »
Galudwig I noticed you use the 17a front sight. It has a smaller Id than some of the other front sights. What's your thoughts on the smaller versus the larger ID.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 04:21:30 PM »
Ken,
I also use the 17A series front sight. The smaller ID front sight is not a problem as long as the aperture size in the rear sight is correct. That's where the Merit adjustable rear disk works well.
Mark
Mark

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 05:11:33 PM »
Get a set of Lee Shaver's inserts for the 17A.They will make a REAL sight out of that sight.

Bob Roller

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
Lee's inserts are great. I use these though. Call these guys and they can sell you the right set to match your front sight. These made a really big difference for me.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CHAMPIONS__CHOICE_CLEAR_INSERT_SET__10___Lg_Dia_-690.aspx
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

galudwig

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 03:19:25 AM »
Hey Lutes,

I've never used anything but the Lyman 17A's, so I have no experience with anything of a larger ID.  I have two others on my Old Renegade; one for the roundball barrel and one for the fast twist LRH barrel.  Overall, I have no complaints. 

If anything, I notice that I see quite a bit of barrel when I have the Merit disc opened up a bit.  Even at it's tightest setting I can still see a bit of barrel.  As my eyes got older, I had to go to a wider post.  When I did that, my groups actually tightened up. :o 

galudwig

Mr.Grendel

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 06:08:51 AM »
check post "Aperture Rear Sights"