Author Topic: McCammant swivel for the new library?  (Read 10412 times)

galamb

McCammant swivel for the new library?
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
Not sure if you can use this in this format but here is a swivel breech by John McCammant (sometimes spelled McCamant) who ended up as a gunmaker in Ohio (after working in Penn and maybe Virginia).

The rifle is dated 1832 and it's an original percussion swivel.

The length overall is 56". It has twin, 36 cal rifled barrels 39 1/2" long.

There are 20 silver inlays and the patch box measures 10" overall (love those National Road patterns).

Anyhow, here's the pics -

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:51:18 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: McCammant swivel for the new library?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:41:51 AM »
Wonderful!
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »
The Museum Committee , and I am sure I speak of all members of the ALR and the collecting community. thank you.

J. McCamment
As a side note there is s Schreckengost in the Museum that is signed "McCamment" and for a very long time, it was thought to be made by McCamment. Then we learned there was a J. McCamment that lived in Putneyville, PA, the home of William SChreckengost and it was apparent the gun ( clearly a Schreckengost) was made for J. McCamment and his name ( the owners) was placed on the barrel.

Hurricane

galamb

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 02:39:13 AM »
Ohio rifles are dear to my heart. I have a ton of (collected) research on them.

What confuses the matter with "J. McCammant" (spelled various ways) is that there were two of them that signed their rifles that way.

James McCammant, "the father", worked as a gunsmith in Washington Co. Pa, Brook Co. (West) Va, and Wellsburg, Va before moving on to Ohio (Perry Co).

His son John McCammant worked as his partner for many years. They ran a brass foundry in Virginia and built rifles. John remained in Virginia after his father relocated to Ohio, but ultimately (sometime after 1854) moved to Illinois (Montgomery Co) where he "built and repaired - rifles, fowling pieces and holster pistols".

I do have 7 or 8 more pictures of this rifle, mostly just close-ups of the other inlays (unfortunately, no close up of the breech end - and no other measurements) but do have a note that this had "light octagon barrels" (???)

** I did make an error in my original post, stating that he ended up in Ohio - confused with his father **

(if my history is correct on this family of gun makers, this rifle would have been built in Virginia (Wellsburg) very close to the "National Road")
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:45:47 AM by galamb »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 02:50:04 AM »
Fantastic rifle.  Based on your research where was McCamment located when this rifle was made, West PA or Ohio?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 02:54:22 AM »
I may be wrong in recollections, but did this rifle sell at a major auction house recently? If so, are these personal photos by the new owner, or the auction house publicity photos? If personal photos we are in great shape, but if auction house photos, we may need their permission to post them to the library. Shelby Gallien

galamb

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 03:04:36 AM »
Yes these are auction house photos. The rifle sold sometime in 2012.

And according to the dates this would have been built in Virginia.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 04:09:20 AM »
I would have guessed further west.  Looks a lot like Geo Kettering's.....if memory serves, which sometimes doesn't
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

galamb

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 04:58:13 AM »
I was initially intrigued by the National Roads patchboxes and after numerous google searches and many hours reading I found a few references to "kettering".

I couldn't really tell the difference in patchboxes myself - looked like they could have all interchanged from one maker to another and most were a touch different even with the same maker.

The consensus seemed to be the style developed along what I believe is now Highway 40 heading from the east into Ohio and many gunsmiths in various states that were close to that "road" adopted the patchbox style.

Daniel Marker Sr. who worked in Maryland of and on (had a few run ins with the law) and eventually went to Ohio used this style of box on his early Maryland rifles and his very late Ohio's..

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 06:55:08 AM »
It was probably made in West Virginia ( Virginia then). See page 29 "Gunsmiths of West Virginia" by Lambert & Whisker.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:59:05 AM by Avlrc »

BGC

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
In 1832, John McCammant was still in Brooke County, (West) Virginia

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
I'll say this about the McCammant swivel breech rifle,John McCammant
certainly knew how to do fine inletting and that is one fine example of
that skill. To do that quality of work,the patience of a cigar store Indian
must be required.

Bob Roller

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »
The Museum Committee , and I am sure I speak of all members of the ALR and the collecting community. thank you.

J. McCamment
As a side note there is s Schreckengost in the Museum that is signed "McCamment" and for a very long time, it was thought to be made by McCamment. Then we learned there was a J. McCamment that lived in Putneyville, PA, the home of William SChreckengost and it was apparent the gun ( clearly a Schreckengost) was made for J. McCamment and his name ( the owners) was placed on the barrel.

Hurricane

The signature on the Shreckengost rifle you mention is John McCann.  Still trying to figure out who he is.
At one time I thought it read John McCown who owned a home across the creeks from William's shop, but after closer exam by myself and Flaydermaus, we are confident it says McCann. 

JLB

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 12:15:53 AM »
My 1st time here and what an exceptional rifle! Beautiful.
JLB

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 01:15:20 AM »
My 1st time here and what an exceptional rifle! Beautiful.
JLB

Welcome.  Hang out some more and you'll see some great rifles and conversations.
A lot to be learned here.

galamb

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 01:48:06 AM »
Here's one more patch box to compare with this fine one.

The pic is not the greatest (the rifle was in a glass case at the Cody museum), but to me, when I compare the piercings, particularly the side plates, they could have come from the same shop.

The only issue with that is, this "silver" example was on a J&S Hawken half-stock..

(was there mail order in the 1830's/40's ???) :)

JLB

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »
Are there any pictures of the ramrod side?
JLB

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 09:17:57 PM »
All of the pictures have disappeared?  Can they be restored?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 10:06:04 PM »
Photos, photos? What photos? Would really like to see it! Can you try again?
Dick

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 11:27:12 PM »
 I very much agree, please try to restore the pictures.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 11:54:50 PM »
 I did a search of the entire site and cannot find any Pix, some links but they are dead. The OP, Graham Lamb has not been here since August 20, 2020. Here is an email addy but it may not be any good; galamb@kingston.net

Tim C.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2021, 01:52:36 AM »
I very much agree, please try to restore the pictures.

Hungry Horse
I tried back in Nov of 2019. The URL's ar in correct format but no photos at those URL's someone removed them on the other end.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2021, 03:09:19 AM »
Thanks for trying Dennis.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.