Author Topic: Frank House Horn question  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Frank House Horn question
« on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
  Centered in the filed grid on this horn are small stars.  I'm trying to figure out how they were done.  My guess is
that they are burned in muzzle punches?  It makes a really interesting look and that's the only way I can figure it
was done.  Does anyone know what he did?  The horn is at the top of the blog today with a Joe Mills bag.  If so, that
would require some real patience.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:31:35 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Frank House Horn question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »
Screck

Yes I'm pretty sure they were burned in.The three House brothers have multiple metal stamps that they made and use to mark their knives.Hershal even has a turkey track stamp.They could also be used on horn as a branding iron.

Mitch Yates

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »
it does appear to be burnt in, but I am surprised that there wasn't more over burn marks, or shadowing around the stamp. They are very clear and defined. Interesting concept.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »
Screck

Yes I'm pretty sure they were burned in.The three House brothers have multiple metal stamps that they made and use to mark their knives.Hershal even has a turkey track stamp.They could also be used on horn as a branding iron.

Mitch Yates

Speaking of turkey tracks I saw the biggest one ever on Monday.  Bigger than the palm of my big hands.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »

You have big turkeys - we have big wolves.  This one was fresh and filled a size 10 boot print.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »
Taylor,
You better shoot straight if you run up on that one, it looks like he's big enough to shoot back!
Mark
Mark

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:55:26 PM »
Taylor,  I hope that recurve it not your only means of defense :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »
I was guiding a bowhunter client...I had lots of back-up.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline blackdave

• Starting Member
  • Young at Heart - My wife says "immature"
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 07:07:12 PM »
it does appear to be burnt in, but I am surprised that there wasn't more over burn marks, or shadowing around the stamp. They are very clear and defined. Interesting concept.
When I burn a design into horn, I get rid of the overburn marks by lightly scraping over the area with a piece of broken glass.  The overburn is not very deep and a light scraping takes care of it.  This is all done prior to final finish and aging on the horn of course.  The "stars" on the horn almost look like a star tipped screwdriver to me - but knowing the House brothers, they probably made the punch to burn it.

I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave
" If a man wants to carry a cat home by the tail, I say let him! He's going to be getting several times as much information as the man who hasn't tried it. And it isn't likely to ever become dim or doubtful, either! It isn't always easy to be eccentric, you know."   Mark Twain

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »
When I burn a design into horn, I get rid of the overburn marks by lightly scraping over the area with a piece of broken glass.  The overburn is not very deep and a light scraping takes care of it.  This is all done prior to final finish and aging on the horn of course.  The "stars" on the horn almost look like a star tipped screwdriver to me - but knowing the House brothers, they probably made the punch to burn it.

I remain your humble servant,

Just Dave

dave, that is exactly what I was thinking after I looked at this post for the dozenth time. Sounds like it should work good. Thanks for the post.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »
 Unusual horn, neat design and the stars are clever but did you take a look at the, I'll call it Rope Work? That takes a steady hand along with a lot of skill and time.

Tim C.