Author Topic: Christian Stahl rifle  (Read 8456 times)

Offline tomjanemc

Christian Stahl rifle
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
Here is a nice early 19th century raised carved Kentucky flintlock long rifle made by Christian Stahl Harrisburg, Dauphin County, PA. Barrel is signed C Stahl
 Any info. on Christian Stahl would be appreciated.
 Some research indicates he was born around 1785 and died in Aug. 27,1855 in Philadelphia,PA.
 This rifle is a nice example of his work with a great patchbox, good engraving, and simple raised carving.

Offline J. Talbert

Re: Christian Stahl rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 02:23:57 AM »
I'm not familiar with the maker, but perhaps I should be.  That looks like a gorgeous rifle from what I can see.  Good lines, wonderful patchbox and simple, but very appealing carving.

Just a great gun!
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 05:46:15 AM »
She's a real stunner.  The condition looks really nice.  A real treasure.  That would be a great one for the library.
My reference shows him in Lancaster 1810-1820.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:43:22 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:21:36 PM »
A very beautiful rifle! I really like Dauphin Co. work.  Thank you tomjanemc for posting pictures!  I apologize for the silent majority around here for not at least thanking you for your generosity in showing it.  These are strange days indeed.   
Joel Hall

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 12:54:18 AM »
That is a neat looking rifle .Carved what a nice bonus. The eagle on the cheek piece is also interesting.
JIM

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 03:00:04 AM »
Nice rifle, CT Stahl Lancaster Pennsylvania 1810-1817 (Sellers). First one I have seen, Dauphin Co. wouldn't have been my 1st guess. Any idea where the Dauphin Co. info came from? Thanks for sharing.
Buck

Offline tomjanemc

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
 There's not much info. on Dauphin County gunsmiths. My friend, Jim Whisker, supplied me with some of his findings on Christian Stahl. 
 Dauphin Co. was formed in 1785 from Lancaster County. Christian Stahl was listed in the 1820 United States Federal Census in 1820 residing in Harrisburg, Dauphin Co..
But, he was not listed in the 1810 or 1830 census.
 1812 was on committee to build church in Harrisburg (Zion German Lutheran Church) and listed there in 1829 & 1830.
 He was listed in the Philadelphia, PA Death Certificate Index 1803-1915:
Birth Date - abt 1785
Death Date- August 27,1855 in Philadelphia, PA
Age at Death- 70 years old
 Other details that I found are :
Page 369 in the Kentucky Rifle Patchboxes by Roy Chandler shows one Christian Stahl patchbox and barrel signature
Page 10 of The Kentucky Rifle book by John Dillin shows a half stock by C T Stahl
Page 349 of The Pennsylvania and Kentucky Rifle book by Henry Kaufman shows Christian Stall Harrisburg,PA 1817 Tax list
 Kindig's book also lists Christian Stahl as a gunsmith from Dauphin County.
That's the only information I have so far, but certainly Christian Stahl was a well trained gunsmith. This rifle has great lines and well executed engraving and nice raised carving. I gave permission to this site, to add the pictures to the Library.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 01:16:14 AM »
Tomjanemc,
Well there you have it! I hadn't heard of him till now, certainly a beautiful piece you have there. It made me recant my protest for a moment but I must return to it.
Buck

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
tomjanemc,

Apologies for the tardy response -- not sure how I missed this given my interest and appreciation of Dauphin County rifles and gunsmiths.  One of the challenges with Dauphin County gunsmiths, as you noted, is the dearth of research and written information.  That is complicated by the absence of strong, unique characteristics within this "school".  That said, there are characteristics of your Stahl rifle that echo those of Martin Shell Jr., John Ford and Michael Poorman.

In addition to the information you noted, Gardner's Small Arms Makers has the following:
C Stahl - Riflemaker of Lancaster, Pa about 1810-17
Christian Stall - Harrisburg, Pa, before and after 1817 (Though this is listed as "Stall", German last names were frequently spelled differently, i.e., Martin Schell)

I would also encourage you to add this rifle to the Library, maybe adding a few closeups of the forearm.  In addition to being a beautiful piece, it also adds to the public information on Dauphin County gunsmiths.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:09:42 PM by Bill-52 »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 05:00:54 AM »
Thanks for the show Tom.   I don't think I have ever handled one of his guns, butt they are very interesting.  Nice gun,
well carved, these kind of guns don't show up every day.........Don

Offline tomjanemc

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 01:39:42 AM »
 This is one of the nicest Kentucky rifle's, I've ever owned.
As I mentioned in another post: This rifle will be sold at the Old Barn Auction in Findlay, Ohio on Saturday April 12th,2014 - Lot #805   
Wed site: www.oldbarn.com

Hate to see it go, but I'll be using the funds to reconstruct a circa 1840 single pen log barn and to finish completion of my mid 19th century timber frame blacksmith/gun shop.