Author Topic: Jud Brennan rifle on todays blog.  (Read 5711 times)

LehighBrad

Jud Brennan rifle on todays blog.
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:41 PM »
I don't really consider myself a "babe in the woods" when it come to building longrifles having built a few over the years, but I keep seeing something on custom built longrifles every now and then that baffles me. The Jud Brennan rifle shown on the blog today has this feature. Under the butt stock, just forward of the toe plate. It's a small circular inlay with what appears to be a small hole in the middle of it. WHAT IS IT? WHAT IS IT FOR? At first I thought it was some sort of patchbox release button, but I don't think it is...or is it??? Someone please clarify this for me.  :-\

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Jud Brennan rifle on todays blog.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
I always assumed it to be a feather hole.
Very nice gun by the way, that box is a real eye catcher.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:45:34 PM »
It is for a vent pick which could be a small feather, hence Mike's "feather hole".

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:59:56 PM »
This gun by Jud is certainly beautiful, but the original Simpson rifle is just amazing.  It was displayed at the KRA show this year and I was thrilled to see it.  Of all the longrifles in existence I think it may be at the top of my list.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:32:12 AM »
This gun by Jud is certainly beautiful, but the original Simpson rifle is just amazing.  It was displayed at the KRA show this year and I was thrilled to see it.  Of all the longrifles in existence I think it may be at the top of my list.
Was the original a KY made gun?
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 03:49:48 AM »
Was the original a KY made gun?
Tennessee, but I think he may have moved around some.  I'm pretty sure some new findings concerning Simpson will be published before too long.

IKE

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
The owner of the Brennan gun told that the original rifle was at the battle of Kings Mt.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 01:21:25 AM »
The owner of the Brennan gun told that the original rifle was at the battle of Kings Mt.
I would have assumed that a gun like that would have been to late for King's Mt.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 04:02:15 AM »
I believe the gun is dated 1791, so no King's Mountain.

IKE

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 05:10:44 AM »
Just what I was told.