Author Topic: powder price  (Read 16761 times)

dagner

powder price
« on: December 22, 2013, 02:52:02 AM »
 was at gun shop  over in st louis /st charles mo-  one of the few that will touch black powder because of the stupid explosive laws the states and cities passed. well they can only keep 3 lbs on hand.  a can of goex with tax was 25.59 a single can of swiss was 35.00 before tax
dag

billd

Re: powder price
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:04:44 AM »
$20.50 here locally last month.  That's Goex, they don't carry swiss.

Bill

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:30:03 AM »
I understand it is pushing pretty close to $30 a can in the Orlando, FL area.  I haven't bought if by the pound in years.  When I can buy GOEX by the case delivered to my door by FEDEX for less than $15 a pound I don't see the sense of that.  If you don't shoot a lot, you might consider going in with some friends and buying a case together.   
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline AsMs

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »
Last time I bought powder I drove through 4 states including the one I live in to get it. I got Goex for $16 a pound and O E for $18 a pound.  By the way that drive only took a little over 1 1/2 hours one way.  Back Creek Winchester VA  :o 

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 01:50:27 PM »
  Powder Inc.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

oldarcher

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »
Price is a problem, however I am fortunate and purchase it through the BP club that I belong to. Bass Pro has it for $25#, and I think that your best bet is Maine Powder House, http://mainepowderhouse.com/welcome/ You can get it for around $15 # when you purchase 5#. There are other suppliers on the net that will sell 4-5# at a time.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:19:47 PM by oldarcher »

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Nit Wit

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »
Get a few guys to go in on a case. KIK is 14.00 lb and Sheutzen is 15.00 a lb after shipping.
Powder Inc. We have had good results wit 3f KIK very clean and potent, made in Slovenia.
Good folks to deal with.
Nit Wit

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »
I bought 3-4 one pounds at Friendship back in the spring and paid $16.00 for a pound.  Wish I had gotten more.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:59:53 PM by iloco »
iloco

galamb

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 05:53:01 PM »
Generally goes for $30 a pound (Goex) in Canada.

I was at Dixon's on Thursday and they are selling it for $25 (which $27 with the exchange rate) - so now I don't feel so bad :)

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
I paid $16.00/# for 3Fg GOEX at Friendship about a month ago.
Gene

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »
Many charge whatever they think the market will bear.
For folks in the west.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Content.aspx?PAGE=Black%20Powder
This is the best way to get powder. Order a case. It never goes bad and is not anymore dangerous, if as dangerous, than the gas in your car or lawn mover, we are just used to having gasoline around. Familiarlty breeds contempt and all that.
Reminds me of an old set of Burma Shave signs I saw as a kid.

He used a match
To check his tank
Now they call him
Skinless Frank
Burma Shave.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline LH

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
A 20lb propane grill bottle will make a big mess if it blows up too.  I was in a hunting club one time where two guys set their camper on fire and the propane bottle exploded.  It scattered that popup over about an acre.    :o  Be careful

steveA

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 05:10:07 AM »
Just to make everyone feel better.  I am working as the armorer for an NBC TV series in Puerto Rico.  We are paying $70 a pound there.  Muzzleloaders are basically forbidden with out special government licenses (read: armorers nightmare).  I guess it's all relative.

Merry Christmas to all,

Steve

Offline fastfrankie

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
     When I could find it in my area of the country I paid $30.00 a pound
Getting old is not for sissies

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
I buy my GOEX powder once a year at the BC Rendezvous at Heffley Ck.  There are two vendors - one a dollar a can cheaper than the other, but neither brings un-purchased powder back home with them.  So we have to buy it in the can now and it's $22/can.  I buy 25 cans of each grade I want, and store it outside in my shed.  We shoot a lot here.
Recently, I had an opportunity to buy some Swiss 1 1/2 FG which I have set aside for BPCR - LOVE IT!!  My buddy made the 1 1/2 day run to Saskatoon Saskatchewan to pick it up, and three of us split the cost of his trip.  So the powder ended up at $40/pound.
When I buy powder, I save for a whole year, and buy as much as I can afford.  It will never be cheaper, and it does not go bad.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 04:27:56 AM »
Sometimes I think there are folks out there selling at a much inflated price do to all the hoarding that has been going on.  If you buy bulk from Powder Inc, you'll get a better deal then $30.00 + dollars a pound.  Bulk buy with your friends, but from experience I'd suggest you get the money up front first as those friends at the moment of saying they would like 5 pounds and when it arrives they say they only need three,,,, well, don't let this happen to you.  It happened once to me, now they pay more 'cause the need to order their own now.  I won't split an order with anyone, period!  Good luck with your powder buying.   
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

cahil_2

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 06:09:40 AM »
I called Maine powder house last week and goex is 15.75' schuetzen is 16.00' and Swiss is 22.50.  That includes shipping and hazmat. 

dagner

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 08:17:44 AM »
  1 agree deer creek -powderinc  all great case prices.i asked the shop owner why only 3 lbs -he said the city council made up of subdevision non shooters was convinced any more than  3 lbs of black would blow the whole city block up setting off gas mains and causing the end of world .now here in the peoples republic of illinois our brilliant liberal chicago democrats passed the law individuals can only have 3 lbs of black powder  at home.their is even a small limit to smokeless and black siustitute.all the gun dealer/shops around our area in ill flat refuse to handle black powder.a lot have even quit handinding pyrodex and other look alikes because of ignorant local politicians .was seeing that .375 balls and .445 hornaday are sold out in a lot of the big ditributors already.been picking up some real good deals on ebay for lyman steel molds.the last lead smelting plant  the united stated  is closing in mo.at end of the month.wellstock up and  happy holiday and good shooting this winter

Black Jack

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »
For those who may be in the Northeast PA area, J&J Pyrotechnic in Moscow has Goex for 13.10 and Old Eynsford for 13.50 per pound in 25 lb case lots if picked up. Plus PA tax, of course.  The price difference between the two seems small, so I just picked up a case of OE to try it out. Have not shot it yet.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »
I would like to get some more black powder before the price/shipping costs go up. Does anyone know of a price increase or shipping cost increase in the next few months (would like to recover from all the Christmas spending!).

Thinking about picking some up from http://www.blackpowderva.com/ when I attend the New Market VA longrifle show (21st Annual Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia Kentucky Rifle Show FEBRUARY 14 & 15, 2013 New Market, VA). Their prices seem to be pretty good and not much out of my way to go by there.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 10:40:44 PM »
Dennis,
I just read something the other day about USPS rates going up soon.  Stamps going up 3 cents, 74 cents for each additional ounce on a letter.  Other rates proportional.  I would advise everyone to stock up on "forever" stamps.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 09:06:58 PM »
My neighbor and close friend had his house burn down several years ago.  His house is only about 100 yds. from mine.  He is an ardent black powder shooter and modern cartridge pistol shooter.

He was not home at the time and I was the first to arrive at the fire.  A friend and myself broke a window in the garage, opened the garage door and pushed his car out.  When the fire truck arrived I cautioned them that there was several pounds of black powder in the house.  There reply was "  that's OK its not a problem."  A few minutes later we heard a muffled boom as a pound exploded.  Much to my surprise the roof didn't blow off and there was no Debera flying around.  Several lbs went off with the same results.  The pistol amo sounded like popcorn popping, also with no apparent damage being done as a result.

My friend lost a tremendous amount of guns including a couple that I built for him.  The good news was no one got hurt.

David Price

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2013, 08:53:46 AM »
It is possible to fuse a center pound of BP in a 25 pound case and only have few others ignite. The bulk of the one pound containers are simply thrown out of the box.
Western powder did a number of such tests and a guy I know bought the left over Swiss cheap since the outside of the bottles were somewhat blackened.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

necchi

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »
 When the fire truck arrived I cautioned them that there was several pounds of black powder in the house.  There reply was "  that's OK its not a problem."  A few minutes later we heard a muffled boom as a pound exploded.  Much to my surprise the roof didn't blow off and there was no,,,,,,

Here's why Black Powder doesn't "explode" in a house fire;

quoted from the Mad Monk on this forum,,
ANY source of heat may ignite black powder.  Sparks produce heat, yes.  But any source of heat can result in ignition.  But!  If you heat the powder slowly it will not really ignite.  Smolder yes.  In order to ignite black powder and get the results you see if you ignite a pile or string on the ground the heat must be intense and fast.  Heated slowly the first thing that happens is that the sulfur turns to a vapor up close to the boiling point of water temperature. This would in itself blow the top off a tin powder can.  Has happened numerous times around here.  While the sulfur vapors themselves are flammable they don't always ignite.  The contents of the can then simply burns rapidly but does not really blow up.

Rapid heat to powder cans/bottles generally doesn't happen in a house fire. The can/bottle is surrounded by heat and sparks but nothing ignites the powder directly unless the container is somehow opened and exposed. The can/bottle is heated slowly by the fire around it.
Keep your powder on the floor in a closet, heat rises and closet doors offer another layer of protection from any main source of heat.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:42:45 AM by necchi »