Author Topic: powder price  (Read 16759 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Re: powder price
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
When the fire truck arrived I cautioned them that there was several pounds of black powder in the house.  There reply was "  that's OK its not a problem." 

David Price

That fire department was a little more knowledgeable than the one that responded to a fire at our gun club about 15 years ago.  Our club house caught fire because of an electrical fire.  About 20 yards from the club house we had a small concrete building with a metal roof where we sold reloading supplies, targets, cleaning accessories, etc.  We had primers and smokeless powder there but no back powder or ammunition. 

When the fire department arrived we told them there was no powder or ammunition in the club house, only some smokeless powder and primers in the separate concrete building which was not being impacted by the fire.  They became unhinged, evacuated the area and made no attempt to stop the fire from spreading to the rest of the club house and it burned to the ground.  The stand alone store building was not touched by the fire even though the fire department headed for the hills rather than making any attempt to put out the club house fire.

It's too bad that all fire departments don't have some training for situations like this.     
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

blaksmth

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 07:28:32 AM »
Where I live in Colorado Goex is priced at $30.00 a lb for 2XX  my dad gave me  20 lbs of Dupont 1F I guess I will end up shooting that in my .69

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 12:58:27 AM »
Today I ordered 25 lb of Goex for $400.00 Delievered which includes all fees.
I ordered from Maine Powder House.  Usualy takes 2 days for delivery.  
Do any of you older shooters know when the last big price increase was.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:59:56 AM by iloco »
iloco

Offline Herb

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 02:00:19 AM »
I was just at the Fort Bridger Rendezvous and bought 4 pounds of Olde Eynsford 2F and 1 1/2F at $16 per pound from Bear River Powder.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:01:57 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 06:15:22 PM »
Best to Buy in Bulk, a lot cheaper, you can have up to 25lbs by law.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:20 PM »
I was just at the Fort Bridger Rendezvous and bought 4 pounds of Olde Eynsford 2F and 1 1/2F at $16 per pound from Bear River Powder.
            I thought it was illegal to buy Blackpowder at events ? only from a dealers store.

cunninmp

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »
In CA I'm paying right at $26.50 with sales tax.
Mike C.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 12:04:00 AM »
I've always saved up $ and ordered 10 to 25 lb cases.  Last time friend and I split a 25lb case.  Powderinc and Jacks powder keg.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

jamesthomas

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:12 AM »
 I found a pawn shop that carries black powder, $20.00 a pound for Goex and $30.00 a pound for Swiss of all things. They are the only store that sells Swiss in probably a 200 mile square area. I'm going to get some Swiss from him next time I go by the store.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:49:02 AM by james e »

Offline Herb

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 01:07:03 AM »
            I thought it was illegal to buy Blackpowder at events ? only from a dealers store.

Bear River Powder is a Master Distributor for Goex powder.  There were also dealers with cans of Goex for sale.
Herb

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 01:48:38 AM »
I've always saved up $ and ordered 10 to 25 lb cases.  Last time friend and I split a 25lb case.  Powderinc and Jacks powder keg.

I cannot fathom doing it any other way (unless i had a local source say <60 miles (or 400 kilometers i think)).  10# lots make it tolerable and 25# lots make it downright inexpensive.

Powder Inc. has my form, easy peasy.

Hold to the Wind

Offline t.caster

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2014, 07:38:34 PM »
Two 25# cases from Powder Inc. was $15.40 per lb. back in April. That included the shipping and Hazmat fees. A variety of 2f,3f & 4f cans.
Our club draws a name from the hat, of everyone who shot that month, and this year the winner each month, gets 2 cans of powder for a prize. Doesn't matter how well you shot, you have a chance to win!
Tom C.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 12:32:00 AM »
Tom, that's SOME INCENTIVE to show up and shoot? WOW!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 04:19:05 AM »

Bear River Powder is a Master Distributor for Goex powder.  There were also dealers with cans of Goex for sale.
     Unless the Federal law has changed just shortly....???  even a distributor can not sell black powder at events. only from the premises they are licenced for.

Black Jack

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
Last price I paid was $13.60 lb for Old Eynsford in 25 lb case. Goex was 13.10 at the time (last summer). Luckily, I live a only a couple of miles from a master distributor.....J&J Pyrotechnics outside of Scranton, PA.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »
Gun shop price versus UPS ordering.

Here in Pennsylvania local gunshops have been burdened with a lot of new regulations.

The ATF used to license the shop.  Now any employees in the shop, including owners, must themselves be licensed by the ATF.  Background checks, fingerprints, etc.  Issued out of Philadelphia in this part of the state and you end up making several trips to get the license.

When my wife spends 3 days behind the counter at Dixons each year she cannot touch a can of black powder.  She cannot even simply pick it up off the counter and put it in a bag for a customer.  If she touches a can of black powder she commits a federal felony since she is not licensed.  But when a UPS truck drops two cases, or 50 pounds, on my front porch she can shove them into the living room until I get home!

So the ATF individual store worker licensing adds additional costs to handling black powder.

Then the PA DEP gets into the act.  The state now has an inspection and licensing program.  Inspecting the magazines, etc. to see that they don't pollute the environment.  Yet another layer of licensing and inspection fees.

Some small shops feel that stocking black powder is simply not worth the trouble and expense.

Mad Monk

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2014, 03:17:46 AM »
There is a black powder distributor about 15 miles from me. He has a website with prices, and they are cheaper than most of those mentioned here.  He is not a gun shop or gun dealer. He is an explosives dealer, who handles not only black powder, but blasting and fireworks. He does not carry Goex, but lists:
Diamondback
Elephant
Schuetzen
Swiss
Wano

He is located in Mineral, Illinois, north of Peoria, east of the Illinois/ Iowa Quad Cities. His contact information is:

Crater Blackpowder, Blasting & Fireworks
Jon Blackert
PO Box 44
Mineral, Illinois 61344

Phone 815-542-6287
Cell 309-945-BOOM (2666)

email:  jonblackert@frontiernet.net

jamesthomas

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 04:21:44 AM »
There is a black powder distributor about 15 miles from me. He has a website with prices, and they are cheaper than most of those mentioned here.  He is not a gun shop or gun dealer. He is an explosives dealer, who handles not only black powder, but blasting and fireworks. He does not carry Goex, but lists:
Diamondback
Elephant
Schuetzen
Swiss
Wano

He is located in Mineral, Illinois, north of Peoria, east of the Illinois/ Iowa Quad Cities. His contact information is:

Crater Blackpowder, Blasting & Fireworks
Jon Blackert
PO Box 44
Mineral, Illinois 61344

Phone 815-542-6287
Cell 309-945-BOOM (2666)

email:  jonblackert@frontiernet.net

Does he sell by the 5lb. or 10lb. lot? I can't afford case prices. At least with PowdersInc. you get that choice, plus they don't charge a credit card fee, nobody else does either I believe.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 04:11:51 AM »
Gun shop price versus UPS ordering.

Here in Pennsylvania local gunshops have been burdened with a lot of new regulations.

The ATF used to license the shop.  Now any employees in the shop, including owners, must themselves be licensed by the ATF.  Background checks, fingerprints, etc.  Issued out of Philadelphia in this part of the state and you end up making several trips to get the license.

When my wife spends 3 days behind the counter at Dixons each year she cannot touch a can of black powder.  She cannot even simply pick it up off the counter and put it in a bag for a customer.  If she touches a can of black powder she commits a federal felony since she is not licensed.  But when a UPS truck drops two cases, or 50 pounds, on my front porch she can shove them into the living room until I get home!

So the ATF individual store worker licensing adds additional costs to handling black powder.

Then the PA DEP gets into the act.  The state now has an inspection and licensing program.  Inspecting the magazines, etc. to see that they don't pollute the environment.  Yet another layer of licensing and inspection fees.

Some small shops feel that stocking black powder is simply not worth the trouble and expense.

Mad Monk

there is gold in that quote to be mined.  Something about two cases.  WE are messing around (many of us) with guns, replica or not, that cost 1, 2, 5, 10-THOUsand dollars a pop (some of us have more than one--and some cost even more) and YET we get all flubberdubbed about saving up a couple three hundred bones to buy a nice fat quantity of powder - delivered*. 

Yes of course i think it should be sold at every hardware and convenience store in the free world, but that's not going to happen.  Buck up and STOCK up i say.

[/end rant]

*but of course i'm also all for supporting the LOCAL folks IF you have that opportunity. 
Hold to the Wind